Wedding in Thailand

RafPinto

Hi folks,

a friend of mine is planning to marry his longterm girlfriend.

They both live in BKK.

He, European, she Thai.

They want to marry at a local Amphur.

Nothing big. Just to get officially married.

As far as he knows, he needs from his embassy an Affidavit and a certificate that he is basically not married and free to marry.

How is the proedure?

Get documents from his embassy, translate and book appointment at Amphur. 

How long does it take to get an appointment?

Are they performing weddings right now.

What are the implications? 

Would he have to register the wedding with his embassy?

Would it be just considered as  something like an informal  village marriage ?

Thanks in advance

Almost correct. Before going to the amphur the certificate from the embassy plus the translation of it must be certified by the Thai foreign ministry, consular department. Normally the translation agency can take care of this for you (for a price).

The consular department is near immigration, just before it at Chengwattana Road.

• Like 1

When I done it---quite some years ago--it was walk in to Amphur., no appointment needed . 15 minute wait your turn.

I should imagine they are even less people there getting married at the moment-- a witness -they will provide if you do not have.

I came out of the UK embassy after signing the Stat Dec, and was surrounded by touts from different translating agencies close by.

• Like 1

Get a lawyer. For a fixed fee they will do all the paperwork and translation, and they will make all the arrangements with the Amphur. I did this and the whole process was a breeze. The only headache was my wife's paperwork (she's non-Thai) but that was due to the authorities in her home country.

Furthermore, the lawyer can prepare a 'pre-nup' affidavit stating that the wife-to-be will have no material claim on any of his property or possessions accrued prior to the marriage, including pensions, savings, et al. Under Thai law, the pre-nup must be signed (by both parties) on the same day as the marriage registration, so make sure it's done first!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Are they performing weddings right now.

What are the implications? 

Would he have to register the wedding with his embassy?

Would it be just considered as  something like an informal  village marriage ?

Ampoe does not perform a wedding ceremony. They simply register the marriage. 

Does he have to register the marriage with his embassy? There's no way for his country's authorities to know about it if he doesn't, yet if he doesn't and later marry another woman in his country without first divorcing the 1 he married her and anyone finds out about it - he would get in troubles. Also, if he ever wants to take his wife to his home country it might be easier if already registered there. 

Getting married at the district office is the real thing, official and all. Nothing like a village wedding ceremony/ party. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 3STTW said:

Get a lawyer. For a fixed fee they will do all the paperwork and translation, and they will make all the arrangements with the Amphur. I did this and the whole process was a breeze. The only headache was my wife's paperwork (she's non-Thai) but that was due to the authorities in her home country.

Furthermore, the lawyer can prepare a 'pre-nup' affidavit stating that the wife-to-be will have no material claim on any of his property or possessions accrued prior to the marriage, including pensions, savings, et al. Under Thai law, the pre-nup must be signed (by both parties) on the same day as the marriage registration, so make sure it's done first!

And in a divorce a judge can throw out any part of a prenup if he decides that it is blatantly unfair against one party or illegal.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1