Marriage visa extension guide - Chiang Mai

Thanks for the info.

I will be renewing my marriage extension at CM sometime next week.

I have a couple of questions.

Do they still require you to update your bank book on the day of your application? This isn't that much of a problem because I can do it on route. The only minor issue is doing the photocopies of the updated page in my bank book, which if an early arrival at immigration is needed can be a problem, particularly if the volunteers who check your documents won't give you a queue number until everything is correct.

Which leads me on to my second question.

Do we need to arrive stupidity early?

Last year, the whole process was very quick and efficient.

Hopefully this year should be the same, if not better.

Nobody wants to be hanging around anywhere longer than they have to.

DIVISION OF LABOR

Here are the documents that you need, organized by each individiual's responsility.

Foreign husband's documents:
1. TM.7 form (main application form), with 4x6 cm photo. 2 forms.
2. Passport photocopies. 2 sets.
3. Bank documents - certificate + statement + updated passbook. Get 2 copies of each at the bank within 7 days of the visa extension application.
4. STM-2 form (agreement to terms and conditions). 2 forms.
5. Family photos, color on A4 paper. 2 sets x 4 photos on A4 paper = 8 pages total.
6. 90-day reporting documents (TM-30). You need to photocopy and sign both the 90-day report acknowledgement receipt AND the document stating when you are supposed to do your 90-day report again.
7. TM-47 form, which is to apply for your final 90-day report right before your visa expires.
8. Birth certificate of child (if any, and if born abroad). 2 sets.

Trips to make: Husband needs to go to the bank, within 7 days.

Thai wife's documents:
1. Wife's Thai ID card (baht pratchachon). 2 sets.
2. Wife's household registration book (tabian baan). 2 sets.
3. Kor Ror 2 (marriage certificate that looks like a detailed form, without any rose petals), from the amphoe office. Get this within 7 days of the visa extension application. 2 sets.
4. Kor Ror 3 (marriage certificate, with the rose petals), from the amphoe office. Keep the original and give the photocopies to immigration. 2 sets.
5. Handdrawn map to house. 2 forms needed, so draw this 2 times.
6. Birth certificate of child (if any, and if born in Thailand). 2 sets.

Trips to make: Wife needs to go to the amphoe, within 7 days.

Landlord's documents:
1. Landlord's Thai ID card (baht pratchachon). 2 sets.
2. Landlord's household registration book (tabian baan). 2 sets.
3. Rental contract, signed by the landlord. Keep the original and give the photocopies to immigration. 2 sets. If the landlord hasn't done this before, you can download a 1-page template online and have the landlord fill it out.

Note: Landlords are often busy people, so ask for many sets (I'd recommend at least 6) of these documents months in advance if possible.

Now sort them all into the exact order listed above, and combine into 2 sets.

If you think of everything in terms of organized checklists and flow charts, the process will be smooth and easy.

Edited by Falconator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dmaxdan,

No need to arrive very early. Those are the pre-COVID days of Thailand being flooded by foreigners. Now it's just dedicated long-term expats such as missionaries, serious teachers, and foreigners with Thai families, so queues aren't long.

In fact, there are fewer people in the afternoon, so 1 pm could actually be a good time to arrive.

I arrived at 11 am and was finished at 2 pm, and had a nice 1-hour lunch break in between. This year was faster. Last year I arrived at 10 am and finished at 3:30 pm.

Bank book - no, it does not need to be updated on the day of the application. You just need to do it within 7 days. But my recommendation is, the less time, the better. I would recommend doing your bank documents the day before.

Edited by Falconator
  • Thanks 1

This year (2021) also had the nicest crowd of applicants that I've ever seen in Chiang Mai.

Before, the immigration office would be flooded with all the stereotypical sleazy-looking foreigners who look like they've just come out of a dumpster, bar, or rehab facility.

Now you just see families, genuine university students, business owners, white-collar workers, and the like.

It looks like Thai immigration's "good guys in, bad guys out" policy is working. Their 400,000 baht deposit / 40,000 per month income requirement might not be such a bad idea after all. Also, visa runs have virtually disappeared, Thailand has gotten somewhat pricier and more developed, and immigration is getting stricter.

Edited by Falconator
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also, Dmaxdon, there is a long Buddhist holiday coming up.

Check http://www.chiangmaiimm.com/en/

Try applying this Thursday or Friday if your visa is expiring very soon.

Buddhist Lent will be from Saturday, July 24 to Wednesday, July 28. Immigration will reopen on Thursday, July 29.

Thai government offices enjoy frequent holidays, so ALWAYS check their website for upcoming holidays that many Westerners are generally unaware of.

This is another reason you should always try to do your visa extension about 2 weeks in advance, not 1-3 days before your visa expires. You can apply for an extension up to 30 days before your visa expires.

Edited by Falconator

Correction to my first post (I can't seem to edit it):

2. Amphoe (local district office) trip: Get an updated Kor Ror 2 (not Kor Ror 3). This looks like a detailed form and will be rubber stamped and signed by the amphoe officials. The process should take no longer than 30 minutes. They need to make sure you haven't gotten divorced since then, so it needs to be obtained within 7 days of the visa extension application.

10 hours ago, Falconator said:

Buddhist Lent will be from Saturday, July 24 to Wednesday, July 28. Immigration will reopen on Thursday, July 29.

Immigration will be open on the 27th. That added holiday was canceled by the cabinet on June 29th..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Falconator said:

It looks like Thai immigration's "good guys in, bad guys out" policy is working.

Yeah, sure! And what you are saying has, according to you, nothing to do with the Covid situation?

I can tell you, that the only policies working is the ones created for make it hard to enter the country due to the pandemic.

Very, very detailed.  Thank you very much for the effort!  Just to question for completeness: 

How early before previous extension expiration can you put in the application for the next one?

Is the 400k seasoning two months before submitting paperwork for the next extension or the previous extension expiration date? Able to use all of the 400k after next extension granted, correct?

Thank you again for your time on this.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

How early before previous extension expiration can you put in the application for the next one?

Thirty days at most offices.

19 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

Is the 400k seasoning two months before submitting paperwork for the next extension or the previous extension expiration date? Able to use all of the 400k after next extension granted, correct?

The 400k baht has to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

Many offices want the 400k baht to remain in the bank until you return on the report back date and your extension is stamped in your passport.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Thirty days at most offices.

The 400k baht has to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

Many offices want the 400k baht to remain in the bank until you return on the report back date and your extension is stamped in your passport.

Thanks Joe, informative as always!

On 7/20/2021 at 7:47 PM, Falconator said:

Birth certificate of child (if any, and if born in Thailand). 2 sets.

Why when you're obtaining a marriage visa/extension? The children don't come into the equation.  They're Thai by birth.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

4 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Why when you're obtaining a marriage visa/extension? The children don't come into the equation.  They're Thai by birth.

Some offices want the children's birth certificate as further proof it is valid marriage. 

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Some offices want the children's birth certificate as further proof it is valid marriage. 

That is absolute Bull from the IO as a copy of the KR 2 obtained on the day should be enough. Showing photos of them is also Bull as there is no confirmation as to when the photos were taken.

6 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

That is absolute Bull from the IO as a copy of the KR 2 obtained on the day should be enough. Showing photos of them is also Bull as there is no confirmation as to when the photos were taken.

The Kor Ror 2 is only for proof you that you are still married. 

The birth certificates are related to this in the immigration order. 

"(3) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto:"

The photos are just to prove you are living together as family.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The photos are just to prove you are living together as family.

Sorry to to be dogmatic but the photos prove nothing other than the family got together for a photograph. No proof of when that was or that they indeed are our children. I just see it as another unnecessary hoop that farangs have to jump through.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

3. Bank documents - certificate + statement + updated passbook. Get 2 copies of each at the bank within 7 days   of  

I thought that these need to be done on the day of the application?

2 hours ago, stoicccc said:

I will be doing my second extension soon, will the photos be needed for every extension and first extension only?

Photos and all other documents are needed for every extension application.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

3. Bank documents - certificate + statement + updated passbook. Get 2 copies of each at the bank within 7 days of the visa extension application.

Could someone please be kind and let me know what the name of the certificate (proving account ownership) is in Thai?
I had some trouble last year getting it since we didnt understand each other.