Khon Kaen to Suvarnabhumi airport -advice

Tim16

I intend to return to UK at the end of August. This might be even sooner if UK add Thailand to red list on the next review 4th or 5th August.

My problem is that all public transport ( flights buses and trains) from Khon Kaen to Bangkok have been suspended until covid -19 conditions improve, which doesn't look likely soon!

Have contacted a few taxi companies, said they would call back with quote,but never did.

Someone in my village is willing to take me, but with army checks preventing people leaving Bangkok, I worry that he would be would be stopped from returning to his home. Do you think this would happen?

I thought about hiring car at Khon Kaen airport and dropping off at Suvarnabhumi airport but I don't feel confident to do this, never driven in Bangkok.

Can someone recommend a reliable/ reasonable price taxi service. Or any other suggestions.

Thanks Tim

The person can return back to khon khaen with their ID card and a letter from the local village or ampuher and their us also I bkk app. Link to travel swap truck plates be sure they are khon kaen 

Driving in Bangkok isn't that scary as long as you've got a GPS, especially going to Swampy on the expressway. One of the very few bonuses at present here in Bangkok is that road traffic is lighter due to the restrictions, making it even easier. Just plan a route that skirts the inner CBD area via an expressway, as the inner CBD can get a bit hectic if you haven't driven here before.

We got a car from DMK to KK last month - The lack of flights is really restrictive, our driver was 3500B which would have been cheaper than 2 flights plus 2 cats. 

After our drop off the the driver slept in Roi-et and had a return fare the next day from roi-er, so Issan pickups are something that’ possible.

Do you need the number?

Edited by recom273
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

Driving in Bangkok isn't that scary as long as you've got a GPS, especially going to Swampy on the expressway. One of the very few bonuses at present here in Bangkok is that road traffic is lighter due to the restrictions, making it even easier. Just plan a route that skirts the inner CBD area via an expressway, as the inner CBD can get a bit hectic if you haven't driven here before.

I don't think he's worried about the traffic as much as COVID-19 restrictions on traveling.  He's worried above being stopped.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I don't think he's worried about the traffic as much as COVID-19 restrictions on traveling.  He's worried above being stopped.

He says he thought about driving down but he didn't feel confident as he had never driven in Bangkok. He wasn't referring to Covid restrictions with that statement, though its likely that he is also concerned about travel restrictions.

• Like 1

Someone in my village is willing to take me, but with army checks preventing people leaving Bangkok, I worry that he would be would be stopped from returning to his home. Do you think this would happen?

The checks are just to see why you are travelling.  Register the journey on https://covid-19.in.th/en and if there is a check (which at the moment seems unlikely) he/she should be fine.  There might be more of a problem in returning to KK, as some provinces have restrictions on people arriving from deep-red zones.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tim16 said:

I thought about hiring car at Khon Kaen airport and dropping off at Suvarnabhumi airport but I don't feel confident to do this, never driven in Bangkok.

As mentioned, you wouldn't be driving anywhere near Bangkok as such. Personally, I'd go the hire route, no hassle to you and no potential hassle to anyone else.

• Like 1

Can not really add something new.

If you manage to get a one way car hire, there is nothing particular difficult.

HW2, HW 362 Saraburi bypass, HW1, M9, M7.

I assume you are used to Thai traffic in general.

M9 and M7 are the top stretches for brain dead racing hools in Merc, Porsche, Audi, Ferrari etc.

I have a similar scenario from the the same area thinking about travel to the airport if i pull the plug.

At the moment flights are cancelled but set to restart from the 4th of August if you go to Thai Smile website they are actually bookable.....but wiil the ban be extended is the question.?

Have all bus companies stopped the KK to bkk route.? Think the trains are still running.

For sure someone will need the money and offer a taxi service if all else fails and less stressful than a car rental and driving yourself.

At the moment their is a Thai airways flight every few days Bkk to London leaves just after midnight so allows a day for travel down to the airport....if youve already done your pre flight Covid test In khon Kaen.

11 minutes ago, sapson said:

but wiil the ban be extended is the question.?

Let's hope not but who can tell.

Taxi for less than 4k would be OK. Usually 10 Baht/km.

Distance is 450 km.

I see that Thai Smile and Thai VietJet Air are offering flights in August, with the worsening covid situation in Thailand I think that these flights will be cancelled.

I have now booked flights to UK on 6th August. I am not going to risk booking a flight from Khon Kaen only to find it cancelled last minute.

Have now had a quote of 4,500 baht, pick from home which is near Kalasin to Suvarnabhumi airport.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

He says he thought about driving down but he didn't feel confident as he had never driven in Bangkok. He wasn't referring to Covid restrictions with that statement, though its likely that he is also concerned about travel restrictions.

Your right sir!

Tough time to travel.

Stay healthy.

I had to travel from Udon to Suvarnabhumi 2 weeks ago for an international flight.. First 2 domestic flights i booked got cancelled, only one option left (Vietjet) thankfully it flew. 

Advice about flying - Most flights are still scheduled, and will show on airport departures board, but are cancelled a couple of hours before leaving. So do not trust that. Start to Monitor the online departure boards each day AFTER the flight leaves and you will find which ones are actually flying. But maybe only once or twice a week. I suspect that Thailand will be red listed soon, but UK tends to shut the door after the horse has already bolted ...

Could check on trains.

11 hours ago, rickudon said:

Advice about flying - Most flights are still scheduled, and will show on airport departures board, but are cancelled a couple of hours before leaving. So do not trust that. Start to Monitor the online departure boards each day AFTER

Thanks for good advice -checked Khon Kaen departures today and it shows 5 scheduled departures although all domestic flights are suspended for 14 days!

My flight from Suvarnabhumi is on 6th August, waiting to see if domestic flight suspension is extended beyond 14 days. I suspect that it will be extended. I know Thai Smile and Viejet are selling flights from 2nd August, whether these flight will go is another question. Should know early August if domestic flight suspension is extended.

I just got off the phone with Thai Smile and the representative said all domestic flight cancelled until the end of August.  I have not found any official confirmation yet.  I too have an international flight at the end of August from BKK to the USA.  I am in Chiang Mai and found one company called “Red Ride” but it looks they only serve from CNX to BKK.  I will have to try and book with them as soon as Thai Smile sends me a cancellation email.  Now getting of Thailand is though as getting in??\