This one certainly doesn't look sick ...

Salerno

5 minutes ago, Salerno said:

So are rumours of you having a sense of humour.

Tell me about it man. This lockdown boredom has finally made me succumb to Reddit, despite having been warned about them. I joined Thailand and teaching groups, thought I made some informative posts. Soon they were downvoted and trashed. Ah, the internet. Always been like this, perhaps moreso due to Covid.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

This lockdown boredom has finally made me succumb to Reddit, despite having been warned about them.

Damn, didn't realise things had gotten that dire! ????

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Soon they were downvoted and trashed. Ah, the internet. Always been like this, perhaps moreso due to Covid.

No, the internet in general is no problem. I use it all the time and if there are forums with too many idiots or trolls or people who don't know what they talk about then I just look for better alternatives. And most of the time they exist.

If you don't know it already have a look at https://stackexchange.com/ Lots of interesting sub sites with lots of interesting Q&A.

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Tell me about it man. This lockdown boredom has finally made me succumb to Reddit, despite having been warned about them. I joined Thailand and teaching groups, thought I made some informative posts. Soon they were downvoted and trashed. Ah, the internet. Always been like this, perhaps moreso due to Covid.

Reddit is very left-wing and cliquey.  Especially the smaller subs.  You really can't go against the general opinion of the sub and they gatekeep stuff to heck.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No, the internet in general is no problem. I use it all the time and if there are forums with too many idiots or trolls or people who don't know what they talk about then I just look for better alternatives. And most of the time they exist.

If you don't know it already have a look at https://stackexchange.com/ Lots of interesting sub sites with lots of interesting Q&A.

No no NO! It's YOU who doesn't know what you're talking about. I grew up in Isaan and was an SAS Navy Seal for 50 years and speak fluent Thai, Isaan, Chinese French and English and I have a PhD in epid..whateveritis that makes me clever, especially about vaccines and viruses. I have seen loads of YouTube videos and Facebook links and and everyone of this forum is really clever and friendly and has a sense of humour.... except you! 

????????

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Salerno said:

I only use it for tech stuff, damn tough crowd on there; are the non-tech subs as bad?

I use it also mostly for the technical questions and mostly my experience is good. But obviously it depends on the section and our knowledge. I.e. I use StackOverflow and I talk as an expert with the experts, fine. When I use the Arduino section there are (as far as I remember) many people who also have limited knowledge just like me, all fine. But when I post on the Electrical Engineering section with my limited knowledge and all those experts there now that is something which is sometimes not so good - but in a way I understand the experts who are fed-up with all those "stupid questions".

The worst experience I had was on Interpersonal Skills. It could be interesting when people exchange ideas. But at least last time I checked, maybe a year or two ago, that part was overrun with LBGTB+/- and whatever people. Just the idea that someone might be incompetent even if he is gay or black was incomprehensible for some of those admins. Soon I gave up with them. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

but in a way I understand the experts who are fed-up with all those "stupid questions".

That's the part I don't get (on any site).

If "you" (obviously not talking about you) think it's a dumb question, just move on, no need to pile onto the person asking who is looking for answers and make them look stupid. That's the part that <deleted>s me about most sites, little cliques of self-appointed "experts" trying to big-note themselves at the expense of others.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Salerno said:

If "you" (obviously not talking about you) think it's a dumb question, just move on, no need to pile onto the person asking who is looking for answers and make them look stupid. That's the part that <deleted>s me about most sites, little cliques of self-appointed "experts" trying to big-note themselves at the expense of others.

It depends...

Often there are questions from people who just joined the forum (any part of StackExchange) and they might ask a question like: I want to make my car faster, should I add a turbo or a compressor?

What's the answer? People could politely explain that someone who has no idea about tuning shouldn't do any of that. They could also try to explain that the OP should learn first about the options before asking questions. And I am sure a polite answer will bring more questions and more work.

If someone replies something like: "You have no idea what you are talking about, go away" then that is not polite but I guess it's more effective to tell those people: Think and learn before you ask.

And yes, there are some "experts" who seem to think they have to always write bad about others. But I think all in all that is the minority, at least on StackExchange.

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

People could politely explain that someone who has no idea about tuning shouldn't do any of that. They could also try to explain that the OP should learn first about the options before asking questions. And I am sure a polite answer will bring more questions and more work.

The way I see it, if I have time I'll happily answer "a dumb question" in full knowledge it may lead to more questions. If I don't, I'll just shake my head and move on. No skin off my nose if the person gets answers or not.

If someone replies something like: "You have no idea what you are talking about, go away" then that is not polite but I guess it's more effective to tell those people: Think and learn before you ask.

Again, just IMO, that is a poor reflection on any community and, other than replying to trolls, see no reason to act in such manner. I would happily wager the vast majority that do so online wouldn't have the balls to do it to a person's face.

And yes, there are some "experts" who seem to think they have to always write bad about others. But I think all in all that is the minority, at least on StackExchange.

Would agree there, for StackExchange. The issue on there for me is the hard and fast shutting down of questions that "experts" don't see as appropriate rather than the ganging up you see in more "social" forums.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

On many sites, people act like drunken maniacs.  I like to think they don't act like that in real life and if you asked them a question or shared a different opinion to theirs, they wouldn't leap up and start shouting in your face about how awful you are or how much better they are than you, or how it's "they're" not "their" so they win.

It's weird, because you can't see them, you kind of assume they are similar to you, so you take their responses at face value.  Then, a lot of the time, you find out they aren't open to any different ideas or debate and you end up in some sort of circular argument where they change their stance in every response.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

On many sites, people act like drunken maniacs.  I like to think they don't act like that in real life and if you asked them a question or shared a different opinion to theirs, they wouldn't leap up and start shouting in your face about how awful you are or how much better they are than you, or how it's "they're" not "their" so they win.

It's weird, because you can't see them, you kind of assume they are similar to you, so you take their responses at face value.  Then, a lot of the time, you find out they aren't open to any different ideas or debate and you end up in some sort of circular argument where they change their stance in every response.

Sounds like politics

On 7/23/2021 at 11:30 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Lot's of bored people out there.