Thai Doctors

frikkiedeboer

i have a great respect for thai doctors. spent some time in a hospital out in the sticks, and got really good medical care at a ridiculously low price. BUT!

once took my youngest son to the local hospital-sore throat and running a fever and just wanted to be sure. doc was out to lunch and i was told to come back in an half an hour. i walked to the "mom- and- pop shop"across the road, and bought the little guy an icecream.

returned to the hospital,and saw the doctor-(the kid was still eating his ice-cream)

the doc gave me hel_l for giving the child an icecream,since he was running a fever! i asked him if there had ever been a medical journal published, or if he had been taught at medical school that you cannot give a person anything cold to eat or drink if they are running a fever, and he said:"no, but thai people cant do it". i then explained that i am a farang and that i will not listen to medical advice which has no grounding, and he got quite upset about it all. anyway, he prescribed an antibiotic which was in a powder form and explained that it must be diluted with boiling water. i then enquired whether he meant that i should boil the water to sterilize it,not mix the stuff with boiling water, and i got a blank stare.

perhaps i am missing the point, or am confused here, but most antibiotics i have ever been prescribed came with instructions to keep refrigerated.

perhaps someone could throw some light on the subject. i, for one do not believe that a doctor should be confusing his training with local belief and tradition,and should stick to what he was taught in med. school................or have i just made a fool of myself and there is a reason a person running a high fever should be fed with copious amounts of hot water?

a friend of mine used to suffer from depression. the real kind-a debilitating illness that needs to be controlled with medication-not the "snap out of it and get a life" kind. he went to a thai doctor to try and get his prescription renewed, and the doctor suggested that he go speak to a monk!

these people have good training and are capable and efficient, but some of them do not seem able to break the old cultural and superstitious beliefs,-some of which are downright dangerous to say the least!

i have a great respect for thai doctors. spent some time in a hospital out in the sticks, and got really good medical care at a ridiculously low price. BUT!

once took my youngest son to the local hospital-sore throat and running a fever and just wanted to be sure. doc was out to lunch and i was told to come back in an half an hour. i walked to the "mom- and- pop shop"across the road, and bought the little guy an icecream.

returned to the hospital,and saw the doctor-(the kid was still eating his ice-cream)

the doc gave me hel_l for giving the child an icecream,since he was running a fever! i asked him if there had ever been a medical journal published, or if he had been taught at medical school that you cannot give a person anything cold to eat or drink if they are running a fever, and he said:"no, but thai people cant do it". i then explained that i am a farang and that i will not listen to medical advice which has no grounding, and he got quite upset about it all. anyway, he prescribed an antibiotic which was in a powder form and explained that it must be diluted with boiling water. i then enquired whether he meant that i should boil the water to sterilize it,not mix the stuff with boiling water, and i got a blank stare.

perhaps i am missing the point, or am confused here, but most antibiotics i have ever been prescribed came with instructions to keep refrigerated.

perhaps someone could throw some light on the subject. i, for one do not believe that a doctor should be confusing his training with local belief and tradition,and should stick to what he was taught in med. school................or have i just made a fool of myself and there is a reason a person running a high fever should be fed with copious amounts of hot water?

a friend of mine used to suffer from depression. the real kind-a debilitating illness that needs to be controlled with medication-not the "snap out of it and get a life" kind. he went to a thai doctor to try and get his prescription renewed, and the doctor suggested that he go speak to a monk!

these people have good training and are capable and efficient, but some of them do not seem able to break the old cultural and superstitious beliefs,-some of which are downright dangerous to say the least!

Do not give your child the antibiotic until you cross check with a certified Pharmacist. You better be dam n sure the strength and dosing regimine is correct. Pharmacists know more than Doctors when it comes to drugs.

I would say the doctor was a little harsh but it is true that when you are ill ice cream, candy, soda or junk food in general are not good you need healthy food to fuel your body to fight the illness I think any doctor in any country would agree with that. I'm not sure what antibiotic needs to be mixed with boiling water that one is new to me, powdered antibiotics are mixed with distilled water perhaps the doctor wanted to make sure the water you used was free of bacteria.

On a personal not I have found Thai doctors quite capable and a bit witty, I went to the hospital for my yearly check up and got a cholesterol test (I knew it was high) the doctor started to explain to me about high cholesterol and I explained to her I also was a doctor and I knew all about cholesterol. I asked her advice about taking Lipitor (a cholesterol lowering med) and she told me to take Prozac!!! I said Prozac that is for stress and certain mental conditions as I explained to her mental illness is my specialty. She then said you should know you are crazy. I stared at her blankly, she proceeded to tell me if your cholesterol is high and you know it will cause blockages possibly causing a stroke or heart attack and you continue to eat the way you do and smoke the way you do then as a doctor I must say you are crazy. A smile came across her face and she told me try to quit smoking and eat a better diet and if it doesn't work then consider taking medication for the cholesterol. I gotta say she got my attention I never looked at it from that prospective and in my country you most defiantly would lose your job in a hospital for saying what she did however; she is the first doctor to ever get my attention (because I know better :o) and for the first time I actually listened, I quit smoking and now eat a healthy diet I lost 10 Lbs. without trying which puts me at my perfect weight and I no longer need the high blood pressure pills I have been taking for years.

One of those occassional instances in which communication just goes wrong from the start. Can't think what else it could have been.

Thai docs (and nurses) - especially those working in government hospitals - are as qualified as doctors else where in the world. I take my hat off to them - they are hard working committed underpaid professionals making do as best they can, often with limited facilities.

MF

The not eating of "cold liquids or foods" while haveing a sore throat is an "Asian" thing. They have the same warped view in Taiwan. Now I have heard that dairy products do promote phlegm... so with that the doc may have something to his claim.

Thais also say you are not suposed to eat sticky rice when you have a laceration, because sticky rice acts as a blood thinner?

I too have anoyed some doctors in Thailand because I questioned their judgements and actions.

(actually I am paid to do that, but that is another topic)

Anyhow once I brought my boy to see an MD, MD says oh he has a cold, take these antibiotics....

My question was, if he has a cold, which is a virus, why would I give my son antibiotics which are used to treat infections? The doc had nothing of signifigance to say. Sure one can have a cold, and some of the effects of the cold can lead to an infection.... but that is not what the doctor had implied

On another occassion, I was at a hospital, I had stayed there for around 3 days, and I had to repeat my case history every time someone walked through the door. Well after doing this around 40 times, I finally told one doctor to read the chart before comming to see his patients. He got so angry he stormed out of my room. I checked myself out the next day.

On the positve side, I have met some sincere docs in Thailand. I have met some docs trained in the US that could have very lucritive carreers in the US, but opted to come back to Thailand.... hats off to them. I recently met one that works without a kick back program.... I was shocked. Most docs even when wealthy work on some type if "incentive" plan.

In other words there are some good and some bad. You just hear about the bad ones more often.

I would say the doctor was a little harsh but it is true that when you are ill ice cream, candy, soda or junk food in general are not good you need healthy food to fuel your body to fight the illness I think any doctor in any country would agree with that. I'm not sure what antibiotic needs to be mixed with boiling water that one is new to me, powdered antibiotics are mixed with distilled water perhaps the doctor wanted to make sure the water you used was free of bacteria.

On a personal not I have found Thai doctors quite capable and a bit witty, I went to the hospital for my yearly check up and got a cholesterol test (I knew it was high) the doctor started to explain to me about high cholesterol and I explained to her I also was a doctor and I knew all about cholesterol. I asked her advice about taking Lipitor (a cholesterol lowering med) and she told me to take Prozac!!! I said Prozac that is for stress and certain mental conditions as I explained to her mental illness is my specialty. She then said you should know you are crazy. I stared at her blankly, she proceeded to tell me if your cholesterol is high and you know it will cause blockages possibly causing a stroke or heart attack and you continue to eat the way you do and smoke the way you do then as a doctor I must say you are crazy. A smile came across her face and she told me try to quit smoking and eat a better diet and if it doesn't work then consider taking medication for the cholesterol. I gotta say she got my attention I never looked at it from that prospective and in my country you most defiantly would lose your job in a hospital for saying what she did however; she is the first doctor to ever get my attention (because I know better :o) and for the first time I actually listened, I quit smoking and now eat a healthy diet I lost 10 Lbs. without trying which puts me at my perfect weight and I no longer need the high blood pressure pills I have been taking for years.

My advice is to stay away from medications as much as possible, unless they have a clear and unequivical relationship to maintaing your life. Try to maintain a positive and healthy lifestyle whereever possible to keep the stress level low. The USA's pill-pushing doctors would have had me taking anti-cholestrol, and blood pressure medications 35 years ago. If I had followed thier advice, I would probably be dead by now.

I've become terribly wary of Thai doctors because of too many bad experiences. On one occasion , I saw a Thai doctor at Pattaya International Hospital to removes some wax that had build-up in my ears (something I've been prone to all my life). On this occasion, the build-up was excessive, so I wasn't surprised that the doctor prescribed a product called WAXSOL that is used to soften the wax in one's ears before attempting to remove it. The problem was that the doctor told me to use it every day for 2 WEEKS in each ear. Fortunately, the product included an information leaflet that had printed in very large bold letters, " WARNING - DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT FOR MORE THAN 3 CONSECUTIVE DAYS". This warning took up the top third of the leaflet - obviously a very important warning. Who knows what would have happened if I had followed this quack's "professional" treatment - maybe I'd be deaf now.

I'm afraid that I've be subjected to this type of uninformed and uneducated treatment by Thai doctors too many times to trust them anymore.

Edited by pattyboy

.......he prescribed an antibiotic which was in a powder form and explained that it must be diluted with boiling water.

i then enquired whether he meant that i should boil the water to sterilize it,not mix the stuff with boiling water, and i got a blank stare.

Most antibiotic syrups do come in powder form ( longer shelf life I guess)

and require to be mixed with sterilised water...........

My pharmacy mixes in the water before dispensing the medication...........

This does not mean filling the bottle, only up to the mark and then shaking carefully.

The poster who mentioned EGO probably has hit the nail on the head.

seems to me a lot of cases of 'my culture's doctor is better then yours' type thing or different patient compliance.

when i moved to israel 20+ yrs ago, i was sure only american medicine and american doctors were 'real' and would wait to go back to visit any doctor unless i was almost dead....

the doctors here were arrogant and would just prescribe and hand out the prescritption; wouldnt discuss or explain and god help someone who actually questioned a doctor;

now every doc had gone the 'american way'... and also gone the way of prescribing way too much antibiotics etc... why? cause the public here demands it. 80% of the folks here will keep going to tjeor doctor, and demand to be 'given something' ... until the doc gives them something.

i also was told many 'wierd' things but it turns out those things were usually based on reason. boiled water thing: often we were given powdered antibiotics as there were no pills for certain drugs, so instead of having the antibiotic spoil, we were told to go home, boil water (cool it down first) and then add to the bottle up to the line, shake and refrigerate)... as all know, many drugs dont need to be refrigereated IF U DONT LIVE IN A SEMI ARID DESERT AREA W/O AIRCONDITIONING... in the states in my area, everyone had A/C so it wasnt an issue. here, it was and still is, so the instructions are different as most drugs cant be held in areas over 30celsius its just easier to refrige everything and helps with patient compliance. i also read the small print and find that docs dont know much when it comes to pharmacueticals on the other hand, often the small print is just 'covering a...' for some 1 out of a zilllion chance that there may be a problem due to law suititis (a disease more prevalent in the west then in the far east or southeast asia it seems although rapidly spreading).

BTW when u have a fever and eat very cold /frozen food, u make your body work harder to heat the food up when going inside the body so body works, fever may go up a bit... thats the reasoning behind it all....

patient compliance is what its all about: and what one country feels is healthy another country/culture may be shocked by it all...

seems to me a lot of cases of 'my culture's doctor is better then yours' type thing or different patient compliance.

when i moved to israel 20+ yrs ago, i was sure only american medicine and american doctors were 'real' and would wait to go back to visit any doctor unless i was almost dead....

the doctors here were arrogant and would just prescribe and hand out the prescritption; wouldnt discuss or explain and god help someone who actually questioned a doctor;

now every doc had gone the 'american way'... and also gone the way of prescribing way too much antibiotics etc... why? cause the public here demands it. 80% of the folks here will keep going to tjeor doctor, and demand to be 'given something' ... until the doc gives them something.

i also was told many 'wierd' things but it turns out those things were usually based on reason. boiled water thing: often we were given powdered antibiotics as there were no pills for certain drugs, so instead of having the antibiotic spoil, we were told to go home, boil water (cool it down first) and then add to the bottle up to the line, shake and refrigerate)... as all know, many drugs dont need to be refrigereated IF U DONT LIVE IN A SEMI ARID DESERT AREA W/O AIRCONDITIONING... in the states in my area, everyone had A/C so it wasnt an issue. here, it was and still is, so the instructions are different as most drugs cant be held in areas over 30celsius its just easier to refrige everything and helps with patient compliance. i also read the small print and find that docs dont know much when it comes to pharmacueticals on the other hand, often the small print is just 'covering a...' for some 1 out of a zilllion chance that there may be a problem due to law suititis (a disease more prevalent in the west then in the far east or southeast asia it seems although rapidly spreading).

BTW when u have a fever and eat very cold /frozen food, u make your body work harder to heat the food up when going inside the body so body works, fever may go up a bit... thats the reasoning behind it all....

patient compliance is what its all about: and what one country feels is healthy another country/culture may be shocked by it all...

i have great respect for the doctors i have seen in thailand ,they diagnosed my problem gave me medication and im now fine ,in uk i would still be waiting :o

<medical rant on>

doctors here in thailand are pretty scary

they can do fine for childbirth or trauma, but i wouldn't let them do much else

when my wife was 9 months pregnant and due within a few days, she went into the chaing mai ram hospital for a checkup and said that she had a sore throat, the doctor that saw us (not our normal doctor thank god) prescribed a full course of paracetamol and Amoxocillain. We got home and threw the pills in the garbage, a few days later she gave birth fine. I mean come on guys.

ussally if I am unwell, I do my research on the internet and then goto a pharmacist to cross check and then we get the right medication. Pharmacists are the true doctors of thailand because they are accountable. If you goto a hospital (private or public) , it is just plain dangerous as they will just prescribe whatever pills they need to get rid of that month.

a few months back a friend of ours had jaundice and went to chaing mai ram. They told him he had a tumor and needed an operation to get it removed. So he had the operation and during the operation they punctured his bowels and caused him to be hospitalized for another month. meanwhile they discovered that the tumor was benign... but now he was laying dying in the hospital due to a botched surgery that never needed to happen.

and if the guy didnt get on a plane to America to get fixed up, he would probably be dead today.

<medical rant off>

Most Thai doctors have a HUGE ego problem. They'd rather have a patient die than to lose face by being proved wrong.

Yes, and I think the same holds true in America. Lets be honest, if you bother to watch Tv in America, the only thing on Tv is shows about lawyers, or physicians. That ia pretty much it. We put them so high up on a pedestal (all because of admiration of money) that they are afraid to fall. Some actually believe they are a god. Some of the crudest, curupt, sexually deviant people I have met are physicians.

A positive story....

I was diagnosed with Hypertension at around age 27. I grew up at sea level, and was diagnosed with Hypertension while living above sea level. No physician asked me about where I grew up etc. I was medicated for Hypertension fo aroun 6 years. I was a constant battle, the side effects were nasty, and I am considered HIGH risk forever more by health insurance companies.

Well I move to Thailand, had a standard check up. My bp was well within normal. The doc sat me down, & I pointed out to hime my bp and expressed to him my amazement. He asked me were I grew up, asked me where/when I was diagnosed.... Paused about 20 seconds and said "The answer is simple, you are now at sea level again. Your body never did acclimate to being above sea level. You are fine now." I call him Yoda from here on out.

I have had normal bp now for over a year, and yes my insurance still considerds me high risk.

Health care, it is a travesty or a gamble.

<medical rant on>

doctors here in thailand are pretty scary

they can do fine for childbirth or trauma, but i wouldn't let them do much else

when my wife was 9 months pregnant and due within a few days, she went into the chaing mai ram hospital for a checkup and said that she had a sore throat, the doctor that saw us (not our normal doctor thank god) prescribed a full course of paracetamol and Amoxocillain. We got home and threw the pills in the garbage, a few days later she gave birth fine. I mean come on guys.

ussally if I am unwell, I do my research on the internet and then goto a pharmacist to cross check and then we get the right medication. Pharmacists are the true doctors of thailand because they are accountable. If you goto a hospital (private or public) , it is just plain dangerous as they will just prescribe whatever pills they need to get rid of that month.

a few months back a friend of ours had jaundice and went to chaing mai ram. They told him he had a tumor and needed an operation to get it removed. So he had the operation and during the operation they punctured his bowels and caused him to be hospitalized for another month. meanwhile they discovered that the tumor was benign... but now he was laying dying in the hospital due to a botched surgery that never needed to happen.

and if the guy didnt get on a plane to America to get fixed up, he would probably be dead today.

<medical rant off>

Reg: Research your meds. Yes I strongly agree with that. I did that in the US too! Saved my hide several times. Perscription level drugs are not something to be taken lightly.

there are bad doctors in any country...I could tell a bit about some real scary experiences I had in my home country too. Bottom line is that if you want to have a good advice from a competent doctor, go to a good hospital............

Bottom line is that if you want to have a good advice from a competent doctor, go to a good hospital............

yes i agree, but where can you find a 'good hospital' in LOS......

Try Bumrungrad (not sure if you can afford it though.) Bumrungrad is the only JCI accredited hopital in Thailand...I think.

Edited by ThaiGoon

Most Thai doctors have a HUGE ego problem. They'd rather have a patient die than to lose face by being proved wrong.

I think this is more of a Doctor (although not just doctors, spans across a lot of professions) rather than a Thai thing.

I also think it could be insecurity, for a lot of professionals dont like to have their knowledge questioned. More so, if it seems you know as much or more than they do on the subject.

I know a lot about a certain skin condition, due to having had some problems. Of course I do research, or how else would i be informed. I recal going to a doctor here to continue my treatment and when i spent some time talking to him, i could see he seemed a little annoyed about my being informed. He recommended a couple of "new" options, including a laser, when i asked him the name of the laser, he told me it was a new laser and not to worry. When i told him that i like to look up information on the internet before going ahead and would please like the name of the laser, he smirked (in that way Thais do when they are annoyed with you) and said that i should not worry about finding information, that i should trust doctors, as they know better.

Needless to say, i did not have the 'laser treatment'. :o

Bottom line is that if you want to have a good advice from a competent doctor, go to a good hospital............

Try Bumrungrad (not sure if you can afford it though.)

expensive does not always mean good

Besides being JCI accredited, Bumrungrad also treated about 400,000 foreign patients last year. That's about the same number of foreigners that the Singapore hospitals got in one entire year.

Also if you don't know what JCI is, try googling it. :o

Edited by ThaiGoon

Try Bumrungrad (not sure if you can afford it though.)

You get what you pay for! I suppose that is why this particular hospital has had good revues in international press. Just in case you ask which publications, I name them Le Point (French) and Time. I personally have no interest in this topic but I do remember reading that Thailand is one of the top destinations for certain types of health care. Of course there are other countries offering the similar package deal health care to foreigners.

I find that the egos of some doctors get in the way of treatment as well. More often than not, going to a doctor with a respiratory infection means coming out with a bag of pills with no real diagnosis given. Many times, I haven't even been examined, just handed pills. I'd rather wait an hour and have a real appointment than to be in and out of the office in ten minutes. I just go to the pharmacy most times now because it's the same thing but cheaper.

I had a serious injury and spent a week in the hospital in BKK. The pills that they gave me to sleep were antidepressants and addictive, and I had never even complained about not being able to sleep. It took me two days of withdrawal without sleep to get off of them and the doctor basically told me I think too much when I complained about it.

The post-injury care I received was a joke here and I changed hospitals many times. Doctors kept telling me I was fine, and I was not otherwise I would not have been seeking treatment. I think it depends on the specialization that a patient is needs, as some are considered more prestigious than others and the lesser ones tend to have less skillful doctors. I finally went to Malaysia for care and was satisfied with what I received there. The Malaysian doctors (and granted, they are biased) said that they see people from Thailand often and the complaints are similar to mine about Thai doctors.

I do think that doctors everywhere make mistakes and I know that Thailand is better than most places in terms of quality. But the culture of not questioning the authority of a doctor and not complaining prevent doctors from getting the full picture from their patients.

P.S. The Thai Hospitals I went to are considered "the best" in Thailand. I was not trying to cut costs and Malaysia was about the same in terms of cost.

Edited by alaina

You get what you pay for! I suppose that is why this particular hospital has had good revues in international press. Just in case you ask which publications, I name them Le Point (French) and Time. I personally have no interest in this topic but I do remember reading that Thailand is one of the top destinations for certain types of health care. Of course there are other countries offering the similar package deal health care to foreigners.

You are right. I was watching a tv program about medical tourism and they said Thailand treated about 1.3 million foreign patients last year (400,000 of which went to Bumrungrad) and that made Thailand one of the top destinations for health care (alongside India I think.) Singapore got about 400,000 patients (as I said) while Malaysia got something like 600,000 I think.

when it comes to health care, I believe that going to a hospital with a good repiutation is the best way. I can not see how places like Bumrumgrad, BKK hospital, St Louis, BNH, or some other private hospitals would take the risk to hire low qualified doctors. I myself had three long stays at the BKK hospital, and all was absolutely fine. For the outpatient things, I either go to Thai Nakarin or Sri Karin. They both have good standards. I used to go to the Sanam chan when I lived in Nakornpathom. Had terrible experiences at the Nakornpathom hospital. But there also, prices were very different. You pay for what you get....

I think this is more of a Doctor (although not just doctors, spans across a lot of professions) rather than a Thai thing.

I also think it could be insecurity, for a lot of professionals dont like to have their knowledge questioned. More so, if it seems you know as much or more than they do on the subject.

I know a lot about a certain skin condition, due to having had some problems. Of course I do research, or how else would i be informed. I recal going to a doctor here to continue my treatment and when i spent some time talking to him, i could see he seemed a little annoyed about my being informed. He recommended a couple of "new" options, including a laser, when i asked him the name of the laser, he told me it was a new laser and not to worry. When i told him that i like to look up information on the internet before going ahead and would please like the name of the laser, he smirked (in that way Thais do when they are annoyed with you) and said that i should not worry about finding information, that i should trust doctors, as they know better.

Needless to say, i did not have the 'laser treatment'. :o

It is a professional thing...

Sometimes one should be more disrcreet about being informed. I know a plumber who gets up tight in the same manner. I suppose it is not just Thai doctors, Polish plumbers and American architects who feel this way. That is why we have professionals! Use them - trust them, but be self informed too...

Edited by dingue2rep

A Urologist in a Hospital in Sri Racha told me I had Prostate Cancer and that I needed to have my Balls cut off (25000bht) A monthly injection (30000bht) and a daily pill costing 250 each for life!.

A second Urologist in Sirijit Hospital Sattahip said I didn't have Cancer just an inflamation of the Prostate.

He fixed it with a course of antibiotics.....Cost 12000bht inc Biopsy.

How about that?

Edited by Luckydog

Sometimes one should be more disrcreet about being informed. I know a plumber who gets up tight in the same manner. I suppose it is not just Thai doctors, Polish plumbers and American architects who feel this way. That is why we have professionals! Use them - trust them, but be self informed too...

I may not have mentioned that i was polite and discreet when speaking to this (or any) doc on this matter, but indeed i was. In fact...i do not wish to come across as arrogant or a know-it-all to anyone who may be treating me as it would be counter productive to my care. I generally listen and only ask for further information when necessary, and certainly dont come out with everything i know versus all they know. I then take any new information and do research at home.

To enquire as to the name of the laser/technique used was, i feel, not pushy nor indescreet, but to fob me off with not giving me the opportunity to find out further information on my own was, i feel, arrogant of the doctor.

A Urologist in a Hospital in Sri Racha told me I had Prostate Cancer and that I needed to have my Balls cut off (25000bht) A monthly injection (30000bht) and a daily pill costing 250 each for life!.

A second Urologist in Sirijit Hospital Sattahip said I didn't have Cancer just an inflamation of the Prostate.

How about that?

Perhaps the urologist in Sri Racha is a regular on this forum and he read your thread about "thieving is Thailand's national part time"? I know I would have given the same diagnosis if I were him. :o:D

How about that?

I would NEVER go for any heavy treatment or surgery on a first advise after being diagnosed with any serious disease. It is a basic common sense to go for at least a second advice.....And thisstands for any country........