Chumphon: New checkpoints threaten to cut off South of Thailand

webfact

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

New measures introduced on the main highway heading south threaten to cut off southern Thailand.

Daily News went to Lamae district on the Route 41 heading south into Surat Thani province where they saw a backhoe moving earth, a tent set up and signs being moved. 

They pictured an "alcohol checkpoint" sign being carried and another on the other side of the road mentioning "security checkpoint".

Local official Saengthong Chanokseni said he had been instructed by the provincial authority in Chumphon to set up the checkpoint to stop Chumpon residents heading south unless they had the required documentation from today (Saturday 24th).

People coming from other provinces heading south must have documentation from their starting point and say where they are headed. 

On the other side of the road the media said there was a security checkpoint manned by many agencies including police restricting travel towards Chumphon city and Bangkok.

Other checkpoints further up prohibit movement between Chumphon and Prachuap Khirikhan.

With movement to the south and from the south to the north needing to pass through Chumphon the actions of the authorities there are effectively sealing off the south of the country and further north unless people have good reason to travel and documentation to back that up. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-24

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

i have traveled 38,000 kilometers all over Thailand on my motorcycle and much of it on the secondary roads paralleling the main highways. Never any police activity. Glancing at the map of Chumphon I would say same same. Easy to bypass the entire town. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

With movement to the south and from the south to the north needing to pass through Chumphon the actions of the authorities there are effectively sealing off the south of the country and further north unless people have good reason to travel and documentation to back that up. 

It's already sealed down south, you need paperwork to leave or move between the southern provinces. To pass the checkpoints, you require a permit issued by your local police station stating your destination with approved reason. You also need to generate a QR code on the following website 

https://covid-19.in.th/

da792ed08c78e71db1e8046815b1efbe_small.jpeg.5c57fba8b6e91acd7b9a9940bfc2abcf.jpeg

Edited by Stocky

19 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i have traveled 38,000 kilometers all over Thailand on my motorcycle and much of it on the secondary roads paralleling the main highways. Never any police activity. Glancing at the map of Chumphon I would say same same. Easy to bypass the entire town. 

Rest assured, they know that too. Last year Locals sealed off the province of Chantanburi, even the dirt tracks where blocked. So they know.

On 7/24/2021 at 10:59 AM, Stocky said:

It's already sealed down south, you need paperwork to leave or move between the southern provinces. To pass the checkpoints, you require a permit issued by your local police station stating your destination with approved reason. You also need to generate a QR code on the following website 

https://covid-19.in.th/

Do you also need paperwork for travel between dark red provinces?

Next week I need to travel to Hat Yai from Narathiwat due to a hospital appointment in HY. What do you suggest I arrange in advance?

Yes, you need paperwork to travel dark red to anywhere. Travelling for medical appointment is a valid reason. You'll need a permit from your local police station, just show them your appointment details, and you'll need to generate your QR code from the website. Then you'll be good to go. I'm assuming as it's just a trip to the hospital and return you use the same document and can avoid quarantine. But I would confirm everything a few days before. Remember this coming week is fraught with holidays!

Good luck.

Edited by Stocky

I travelled to Surathani from Hat Yai on Saturday morning, got stopped heading out of Songkla province, documentation required:

1. Covid certificate of vaccinations.

2. Negative test result with 72 hours of travel

3. Letter from local authority granting travel (business related).

4. Letter from my company permitting travel

5. Online registration on same day of travel on this site- (https://covid-19.in.th/en)

6. Printed Barcode of registration to the Save Surat site-

(https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd0V85gIZ3agSIUJmPuTahGcVrEDTn9jhYcUNvEXhSZy_ERpQ/viewform) 

I was not stopped heading into or out of any other province on my way there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThaiCelt said:

I was not stopped heading into or out of any other province on my way there.

So after all that you weren't stopped and checked before entering Surat Thani?

No, but I went through the southern Surat checkpoint about 6:45am, they were just setting up so maybe they would have if they were ready, it looks like the emphasis is on the 'dark red zones' to keep people in as the Songkla stop was just just after 4am and obviously it was manned (by MP's).