returning from Hong Kong--visa exempt permitted?

I hold a US passport with Non O-A based on retirement. I am going to Hong Kong soon and was planning not to get a re-entry permit so I can return visa exempt in a few months and then convert to Non O at CW. However, on Thai consulate in HK's website, under non-Thai nationals allowed to enter list, I do not see a visa exempt option. List does include "retirement re-entry permit".

So I'm wondering if I should get a re-entry to ensure I can return if the entry restrictions continue over the next few months, and postpone plan to convert to Non O.

Anyone recently been able to return from HK visa exempt?

Thanks.  

A visa exempt entry is based upon you nationality not the country you are traveling from.

At this time you would get a 45 day entry when entering visa exempt that can be extended for 30 days.

Visa exempt entries are shown of this webpage on this consulate website. http://www.thai-consulate.org.hk/web/3015.php?s=4304

You might of been looking on this site that has little or no information it. https://hongkong.thaiembassy.org/

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A visa exempt entry is based upon you nationality not the country you are traveling from.

At this time you would get a 45 day entry when entering visa exempt that can be extended for 30 days.

Visa exempt entries are shown of this webpage on this consulate website. http://www.thai-consulate.org.hk/web/3015.php?s=4304

i saw that page but it confused me. The top mentions tourist visa exempt but the later list of "persons permitted to enter Thailand" does not include someone with my status.

Have you seen reports of people entering tourist visa exempt from HK recently and converting to O, without any impossible requirements for entry?

Thank you for your help.

16 minutes ago, david_je said:

The top mentions tourist visa exempt but the later list of "persons permitted to enter Thailand" does not include someone with my status.

That list was not updated when visa exempt entries were added.

You can certainly enter visa exempt. As wrote before there is no restriction based upon where you are traveling from for visa exempt entries. 

Look at the certificate of entry website and you will see image.png.eef91b95f52db85e37c96476e7984a1d.png  on drop down menu after selecting Hong Kong on the country list. https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/

3 minutes ago, david_je said:

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Look at the certificate of entry website and you will see image.png.eef91b95f52db85e37c96476e7984a1d.png  on drop down menu after selecting Hong Kong on the country list. https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/

I see, thank you very much for that.

If this is so, the only reason we don't see a lot of visa exempt tourists on the streets here is because of the 14-day quarantine?

I suppose that by not getting re-entry for my OA, I risk possibility they may take visa exempt off the permitted entry list if pandemic gets worse -- and then I can't come back. Visa exempt and even O  were not on list (OA was) when I returned from HK last December.

14 minutes ago, david_je said:

If this is so, the only reason we don't see a lot of visa exempt tourists on the streets here is because of the 14-day quarantine?

Many people have entered visa exempt since they started allowing them and tourist visa entries again. 

On reason for the visa exempt entry being popular is that it does not require applying for a visa and if a person was not a citizen or legal resident of the country they were in they could not apply for a visa at the embassy where they were located.

14 minutes ago, david_je said:

I suppose that by not getting re-entry for my OA, I risk possibility they may take visa exempt off the permitted entry list if pandemic gets worse -- and then I can't come back. Visa exempt and even O  were not on list (OA was) when I returned from HK last December.

I don't think they will change it to where there are the same restrictions as in the past. They might go to not allowing entry from certain countries due to the high infection rate in them.

I assume that by going to HK you have HKID, Permanent Resident status there?

Thailand is now rated in HK as Highly Dangerous (or words to that effect ),

So if you are not fully vaccinated (even with HKID) it will be 21 days quarantine. 

Good luck !

6 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

So if you are not fully vaccinated (even with HKID) it will be 21 days quarantine. 

Good luck !

Yes, hold HK ID. I could not get vaccinated in time due to rollout delays here, and am bracing for the 21 days. Thank you.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think they will change it to where there are the same restrictions as in the past. They might go to not allowing entry from certain countries due to the high infection rate in them.

Thank you for your helpful replies. 

3 minutes ago, david_je said:

Yes, hold HK ID. I could not get vaccinated in time due to rollout delays here, and am bracing for the 21 days. Thank you.

My thai wife went back recently (has permanent HKID and a well paid Chef job there)  and did the 21 days at Best Western Causeway Bay...around Hkd 10,000....but was pretty ordinary with mediocre wifi, crappy food etc.

But they allowed friends and family there to deliver her food and red wine!!! Amazing. 

You can no doubt get something better!

42 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Good luck !

There is no 21 day quarantine at this time for Thai. That was in effect for short period for those from a few countries.