New last name of Foreigner Husband's name in home country after a marriage in Thailand under the old last name?

alexlm

Hello,

In 2016, I married to a Thai Woman under the name X.

We got the papers I think are called Ko ro 2 and Ko Ro 3?

Then I got the Thai marriage transcribed at my Embassy through the office of Foreign Affairs in my passport's country..

And got a brand new Family book from my "home"-country with the name X based on my nationality.

In 2018, I went back to my "home" country.
Changed my last name.

Got a new ID card, passport and driving license remade for free.

I'm wondering if it's a big deal in Thailand.

Should I do something to change my last name on ALL my Thai documents? And what is "ALL my Thai documents"?

The last name didn't change much.

Just 2 hyphens deleted and replaced by a space instead.

Thanks

Alex

Edited by alexlm

There's no law here requiring your legal local last name to match your legal last name in another country.   It's two separate independent legal systems.    You'll want to hold on (and perhaps laminate) your name change documents from your home country though as you may need to show that you are the same person from time to time here (for instance if someone dies, insurance issues, visa issues, condo ownership change, etc.).    I don't know what happens in all cases, but say in cases that involve land, houses, or property... they don't go back and 'fix or change' your name on the chanote, what they'd do is simply attach a copy of your name change document to the prime document.     

That said, your name change is quite minimal, so it might be overlooked anyway.     

Edited by Heng
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Heng said:

There's no law here requiring your legal local last name to match your legal last name in another country.   It's two separate independent legal systems.  

What about if you want a new extension of stay based of marriage and your passport name doesn't match with the marriage certificate? 

What about if you want a new extension of stay based of work and your passport name doesn't match with the work contract? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Heng said:

. they don't go back and 'fix or change' your name on the chanote, what they'd do is simply attach a copy of your name change document to the prime document.     

What if they can't read / understand your name change document because it is in a language they don't understand, so haven't got a clue what the document is about?

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

What if they can't read / understand your name change document because it is in a language they don't understand, so haven't got a clue what the document is about?

For property, it'll of course have to be your home country document + Thai translation + stamp of legalisation on the Thai translation from the Thai MFA that'll be attached.   

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

What about if you want a new extension of stay based of marriage and your passport name doesn't match with the marriage certificate? 

What about if you want a new extension of stay based of work and your passport name doesn't match with the work contract? 

Dunno for those two circumstances; especially in the OPs case where it's just a couple of hyphens and spaces.  ????

• Thanks 1