Post Office Thefts

ka12345

We have a problem, everything we send to my mother in law is stolen by her local post office unless we send it with registered (USPS Global Express) mail.

The reason we know that it is the local post office is that we have tried sending to other nearby addresses belonging to another post office and those letters always get through. No letters or packages we send to her get through, unless we send it using the more expensive USPS Global Express.

She approached the post office manager but he brushed it off with "noone here steals, it must have been stolen in Bangkok".

I read somewhere a while ago that there is a Thai "postal police" similar to the US postal inspectors. Does anyone have their contact information?

I had a problem with lost mail, but it came down to my families interpretation of the address.

Nowadays, if i get anything sent to my house, i always email the sender a label with the "correct" address in both Thai and English.

Print up some banknotes, say from the country of som nam nar, 1000 dollar note

make it a nice colour print on some durable paper....and send it to your mother in law.

:o

I did something similar - used newspaper cut to bank note size and sent it to myself from a post box in Phuket Town. Sent another with my address in Thai from a different post box. This was after I'd waited 6 weeks for two letters from England to arrive. Nothing appeared after a couple more weeks, so I went to Karon post office to ask if there was any mail for me, especially letters from England.

The post office was a total shambles - piles of letters on the floor, behind desks, stacked against the wall. The man looked for about 5 minutes in various piles, but nothing was for me.

The very next day, three letters arrived - my two and a bill from UBC. One of mine (the one with newspaper in it) looked as if it had been opened, but I wouldn't swear to it - it was such a long time ago that I sent it and I can't remember what the stuck down flap looked like: it just looked messier than I would have done it. Maybe it was just coincidence that the mail arrived the next day, maybe my letter with fake money in it was not "inspected". But I never received the two letters from England that I wanted - one had an International Driving Licence in it. The AA have sent me another for free. It should arrive in 6 days. I'll let you know what happens.

But if you think stolen mail is bad, read how a postman can steal 29 million baht. This just beggars belief. I suppose all the people who should have got the money just said to themselves "my pen rai" or "let's not make a fuss, it's just not the Thai way..."

Thank you, 29 million times

PHUKET CITY: Pol Col Chalit Thintanee, Superintendent of Kathu Police Station, yesterday received a bouquet of flowers in appreciation for his arrest of a postman from Sakhon Nakhon who had stolen 29 million baht.

The postal worker, Wirachai Gaiseeta, was in charge of the remittances section of the Sakhon Nakhon Post Office, and diverted money intended for remittances into his own banks account.

After amassing sufficient funds, Wirachai apparently decided to take a vacation in Patong, where he was arrested.

The presentation was made at the ST Hotel by Kusol Yamyune, Surat Thani-based Senior Director of Region 8 of the Thai Post & Telegraph Department.

At the same meeting, Wirat Bunpetchkaew, the Patong Post Office Chief, was asked about progress toward arresting his own thieving post office manager, Prawit Prateep Na Thalang.

He said that Prawit had been fired - not for theft from the mail, but for failing to turn up for work for 15 days.

"Prawit was an employee of a state enterprise. He was fired because he did not come to work for 15 days," he explained.

On February 11, K. Wirat told the <i>Gazette</i> that Prawit was caught removing the contents from envelopes by a newly-installed security camera.

Yesterday, however, he said, "[Prawit's] crime was very minor because he took only five postcards which were not worth much. We arrested him and got the postcards back."

Prawit, after his "arrest", walked out of the Post Office and has not been seen since.

Meanwhile, steps have been taken to improve the dire performance of the Karon Post Office, K. Kusol told the <i>Gazette</i>.

"Karon Post Office had a problem with delivering mail because there was too much work for the staff we had there, and employees were always quitting," he explained. "Now we have hired more staff to deliver mail."

To see picture/s related to this story, please go to http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.as...=3520&display=1

Brought to you by:

The Phuket Gazette

I had a problem with lost mail, but it came down to my families interpretation of the address.

Nowadays, if i get anything sent to my house, i always email the sender a label with the "correct" address in both Thai and English.

No problem with the address here, we have tried the correct address in English and Thai. It works fine if we use USPS Global Express (because then there is a tracking number that is recorded everywhere on the way, so if they steal it the number of potential perpetrators will be limited).

Fine if they open it and search for cash and then deliver it, but they steal everything from gifts to family photos and normal letters.

Print up some banknotes, say from the country of som nam nar, 1000 dollar note

make it a nice colour print on some durable paper....and send it to your mother in law.

:D

Excellent idea. I will try that and will notify all the local banks that I will pay them a reward for whoever tries to exchange Elbonian dinars... :o

I was more thinking about them being arrested for attempting to cash dodgy notes.

:D

Yup, I know. But I will also let the local banks know that I will pay a reward if they get the guy arrested, just so they don't send him off...

I just bought 20 "million dollar" bills on ebay... :o

• 1 month later...

A follow-up:

Mother in law kept complaining at the post office every time something was lost. Nothing changed and they always tried to blame BKK, the mail driver (from BKK to the town) etc.

We sent a couple of "1 million dollar bills" which of course also got lost.

Finally she wrote a letter to some radio station and the radio station investigated. Result: all staff in the post office was replaced after a couple of days. Now we'll send a new batch of "1 million dollar bills" to see if it will work any better.