Surviving the lockdown by getting creative

snoop1130

Thailand-lockdown-_web-Elena-Mozhvilo.png

(Photo by Elena Mozhvilo)

The great Covid lockdown has been reinstated, and the end may not be coming any time soon. Aside from online shopping and watching a movie marathon on one of the streaming services, here are some suggestions for making the most of forced downtime.

Grow herbs

While we’re stuck at home during the pandemic, growing herbs in our backyards will keep us sane. Gardening connects us with nature, and watching plants grow provides a unique feeling of satisfaction. Chilli, holy basil, sweet basil, spring onion, and Chinese morning glory are a must if you enjoy Thai and Asian cooking. Rosemary, thyme, oregano pots, and seeds are available from online stores and grow well indoors too. A hit of fresh basil or rosemary in your pasta, roasted meat, or bread will add a punch to the flavor and aroma of any dish. Growing is good for the soul. Spending an hour per day with your hands in the soil surrounded by vegetation and flowers is a great mood booster and leaves you feeling refreshed. Other than that, gardening can be a fun activity for the kids who are also stuck at home. Let the youngsters sow microgreens such as cress, radish, or kale on damp paper towels, and see their joy as they watch their plants grow and become good to eat within a matter of days.

Exercise

The sports clubs and fitness centers are closed, as are the public parks. Exercising during lockdown may not seem like the easiest thing to do, but it is possible. Keeping ourselves active and healthy during lockdown is vital since remaining indoors for long periods of time can make us feel stressed and emotionally exhausted. Walk. Even in small spaces, walking around or walking on the spot, helps us remain active. If you have a phone conversation, instead of sitting down, stand or move around your house while you talk. Doing cardio exercises raises your heart rate and makes your muscles stronger, while aerobic activities like walking, running, or jumping rope give your heart and lungs the workout they need. Yoga can also improve your strength and balance as well as manage your stress. There are many free online exercise classes to choose from, so you’re sure to find one that suits you.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/surviving-the-lockdown-by-getting-creative/

Logo-top-.png

Assuming "the end of the world as we know it" aka TEOTWAWKI.

I've just purchased another 15Kg gas cylinder, 30Kg of Jasmine rice and 5 boxes of Typhoo tea bags. So when the shops are empty and the utilities are down, I'll still have food and drink for 4-6 months.

Hmmmmmm ...... maybe I should get a few bags of sugar and some milk powder.

Edited by BritManToo

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Assuming "the end of the world as we know it" aka TEOTWAWKI.

I've just purchased another 15Kg gas cylinder, 30Kg of Jasmine rice and 5 boxes of Typhoo tea bags. So when the shops are empty and the utilities are down, I'll still have food and drink for 4-6 months.

Hmmmmmm ...... maybe I should get a few bags of sugar and some milk powder.

You could hire someone live-in to cook meals and make snacks for you too.