When do you need to have a Big Bike Licence in Thailand?

Derek B

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

For bikes with 400cc or more.

But the DLT doesn't issue them, so I guess they are not required.

Or 35kW or more. [1]

And indeed I don't think the DLT have started issueing those licenses yet. Are they right now even issueing normal licenses?

[1] https://www.dlt.go.th/th/download.php?ref=M2E0LJyirTkjoz13q29ZMT1sM2I0oTycrTMjpJ1Sq2IZoT1vM2S0qTysrPMjZT0kqmuZAz1kM0I0MTycrS8oSo3Q

• Like 1

I have a big bike and am using the usual Thai bike license I have.

I also don't understand what changes as in Europe the bike licences are subdivided in 3 types already A1 is for up 125 cc, A2 is up to 500 cc and A3 is over.

When I got my eu license converted to Thai my EU one clearly showed A3 so I guess when this special bike license comes out it will also just be a matter of conversation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kaneko86 said:

I have a big bike and am using the usual Thai bike license I have.

I also don't understand what changes as in Europe the bike licences are subdivided in 3 types already A1 is for up 125 cc, A2 is up to 500 cc and A3 is over.

When I got my eu license converted to Thai my EU one clearly showed A3 so I guess when this special bike license comes out it will also just be a matter of conversation.

Since 2013 the licencing has been as follows in the EU

A1 - up to 11Kw and with a power-to-weight limit of 0.1 kW/kg (0.13 hp/kg)

A2 - 11-35KwH and with a power-to-weight limit of 0.2kW/kg (0.27hp/kg)

A - Unlimited

The power to weight limits were introduced as some of the cunning makers were making 125cc bikes which were very light and went like a rocket (e.g. Aprilia 125 two stroke - 15bhp/108kg in standard trim, 33bhp when unlimited. Genuine 90mph+ bike.

• Like 2

I think some people still believe they can legally ride bikes (Scooters etc) in LOS on their countires car licence (I can see the OP asks about a 'Big Bike' Licence) Just saying like maybe the Question some need answearing is when is a Thai Bike licence required? Just leave that one in the ring for discussion 

17 minutes ago, Lokie said:

I think some people still believe they can legally ride bikes (Scooters etc) in LOS on their countires car licence (I can see the OP asks about a 'Big Bike' Licence) Just saying like maybe the Question some need answearing is when is a Thai Bike licence required? Just leave that one in the ring for discussion 

DLT gave me a Motorcycle based on my UK Car licence !!!

I guess they assumed AM & A entitlement is good for motorcycles !

Screenshot 2021-07-30 at 19.38.27.png

Edited by richard_smith237

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

They assumed right? Well, the picture you posted is a drivers license that allows the operating of motorcycles. A is the unrestricted motorcycle class and so the DLT gave you the Thai equivalent which is the motorcycle drivers license. Seems like all went as it should.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, eisfeld said:
59 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

They assumed right? Well, the picture you posted is a drivers license that allows the operating of motorcycles. A is the unrestricted motorcycle class and so the DLT gave you the Thai equivalent which is the motorcycle drivers license. Seems like all went as it should.

Strange - I’ve never taken a Motorcycle test in the UK. 

I should have added a better picture: The A entitlement comes with the clause 79(3) - which means restricted to Trikes (if I’m not mistaken). 

599805292_Screenshot2021-07-30at20_41_25.png.2876810988272b92fce58eb1b872efe2.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Strange - I’ve never taken a Motorcycle test in the UK. 

I should have added a better picture: The A entitlement comes with the clause 79(3) - which means restricted to Trikes (if I’m not mistaken).

Hm interesting, seems like in 2013 the class for trikes was changed to be in A and a few countries will allow a holding of a B license after having it for at least 3 years to ride trikes so they add a limited A to the drivers license. The DLT probably ignores the restrictions column. So what they actually should have given you is a Thai TukTuk drivers license ????

• Haha 1

What I find unbelievable (cheap) is that the fine is 200 baht for no licence ! How the heck is that any deterrent or way to ensure people get a licence. Some probably just think, I'll take the 200 fine irs easier and its less hassle.

And no I am not suggesting nor condoning such action.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

What I find unbelievable (cheap) is that the fine is 200 baht for no licence ! How the heck is that any deterrent or way to ensure people get a licence. Some probably just think, I'll take the 200 fine irs easier and its less hassle.

And no I am not suggesting nor condoning such action.

The fine for riding without license is up to 1000 Baht. If it's revoked, expired, suspended etc up to 2000 Baht. (Yea it's weird that it's cheaper to say you have no license than to have an expired one.)

It's in the officers discretion how much to actually charge. In Phuket it'd be rare to get fined just 200 Baht. More common values are 500 or 1000 from what I heard.

Anyways, the fines are close to a half or full days salary for many plus it's rather easy to get a license imho. The problem is not the fines, the problem is the enforcement.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CharlieH said:

What I find unbelievable (cheap) is that the fine is 200 baht for no licence !

The real problem is the lack of a license follows closely by the lack of insurance.

But this is mainly affecting foreigners, as among Thai people it is very common.

The main reason why First Class insurance is a must - CYA

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canthai55 said:

The real problem is the lack of a license follows closely by the lack of insurance.

But this is mainly affecting foreigners, as among Thai people it is very common.

Wouldnt that really depend on the value of the bike ? (1st Ins)

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

Last year they lowered the fine for driving without driving license, it's now 200THB, before it was 500THB.

Wow i must have missed that. So over time they reduced the fines from the original as stipulated in the Land Traffic Act? One would expect them to go up over time.

For anyone interested, here the official document (in Thai): http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2563/E/195/T_0009.PDF

Edited by eisfeld
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2021 at 9:23 PM, CharlieH said:

What I find unbelievable (cheap) is that the fine is 200 baht for no licence !

Just had a quick look at the PDF mentioned above and its also 200 baht  fine  for not having a bell/hooter on your car/motorcycle/ pedal cycle or  horse drawn chariot !  ????

• Like 1

Too damn hot to wear protective clothing in Thailand, not to mention the highest motorcycle death rate on the planet! More often than not, it's the other guy's fault but okay if they have insurance then they will pay for your hospital stay but nothing more, otherwise you are <deleted>! 

Edited by Venom
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 3:36 PM, eisfeld said:

Hm interesting, seems like in 2013 the class for trikes was changed to be in A and a few countries will allow a holding of a B license after having it for at least 3 years to ride trikes so they add a limited A to the drivers license. The DLT probably ignores the restrictions column. So what they actually should have given you is a Thai TukTuk drivers license ????

If we Brits don't understand our own licences, how do we expect the Thais to?

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 12:58 AM, canthai55 said:

It can be very difficult to obtain 1st Class insurance if you buy a bike over 5 years old.  Mine was approaching its 5th birthday when I bought it - the previous owner's insurer refused but would have continued it if the bike hadn't changed hands.  Several other companies also refused based on the bike's age. 

Strangely on recommendation from a friend I found a broker in Bangkok that arranged 1st class insurance with one of the companies that refused when I went direct.