Medecine at hospital

Petchou

I was recently at a hospital, i got prescribed medecine that cost me 4700 bahts.   Later on I asked a pharmacy for same medecine, the total was around 900 bahts.

Got scammed for almost 4000 bahts.

There is no <deleted> ethics or honest business practices in some places.   Lesson learned.

20 hours ago, Petchou said:

Got scammed for almost 4000 bahts.

There is no <deleted> ethics or honest business practices in some places.

Private hospitals need to cover their costs, otherwise they go bankrupt.  If they didn't make money from their pharmacies they'd have to increase their costs elsewhere.  You were not scammed, and there was no lapse of ethics on the part of the hospital.

Edited by Oxx
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Petchou said:

Lesson learned.

Fairly common knowledge here, I guess we all learned this along the way.

But that mark-up - was it like-for-like (exactly), and same quantity, is much higher than the usual mark-up I've experienced. Most ask for a script, or take a 7-day supply with the understanding that you'll be able to find more, easily, at a much lower price.

4 hours ago, bbko said:

Sorry to hear about your situation, but it's well known hospitals and even vet clinics charge more than local pharmacies.  

I agree with you.  I experience this a vet clinic but don't really know where to get medecine prescribed by vet when my puppy is sick? Never found pharmacy specialized in medecine for animals.

Did find some medecine for dogs sold on lazada and shopee but the price was comparable to vet clinics.

5 hours ago, bbko said:

Sorry to hear about your situation, but it's well known hospitals and even vet clinics charge more than local pharmacies.  

Thai government hospital is the cheapest place for meds.

Thai private hospital is the most expensive place to get meds. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Petchou said:

I agree with you.  I experience this a vet clinic but don't really know where to get medecine prescribed by vet when my puppy is sick? Never found pharmacy specialized in medecine for animals.

Did find some medecine for dogs sold on lazada and shopee but the price was comparable to vet clinics.

I've actually solved this problem.

Moved to rabbits, they cost 300-500bht a go and are throw-away pets.

If the vets bill will cost more than the rabbit, I just get a new one.

You can get many common vet meds at online or at the big pet stores cheaper than at the local vets.  Now if there was just an easy way to administer them.  

I'll admit I hadn't thought of rabbits as pets, but they're for Hubby and me, not kids.  We usually keep them around for 18 years or more and sink thousands of $$ into each one.

As for the best place to buy people meds, I think it's been well addressed in this thread.  Anyone who is buying their meds at a private hospital in Thailand is either buying a controlled med or is fresh off the boat.

15 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Fairly common knowledge here, I guess we all learned this along the way.

But that mark-up - was it like-for-like (exactly), and same quantity, is much higher than the usual mark-up I've experienced. Most ask for a script, or take a 7-day supply with the understanding that you'll be able to find more, easily, at a much lower price.

He does not specify if it was same brand or not. In addition to mark ups private hospitals tend to use expensive imported brands when there are perfectly good locally made alternatives.

But even brand for brand, medications cost significantly more in private hospitals.

• Like 1

I went to Ruamphaet Hospital in Surin last month for extreme flank pain. I arrived around 10:15 pm to an empty waiting room. About 15 minutes after registering, I explained to an English speaking doctor, that I have had a history of kidney stones. I had taken Ibuprofen on onset for discomfort and later Ultracet when the pain had increased. but it was not effective now and the pain was increasing. I had a health fitness work-up there 2 years ago and he had reviewed my records and a scan that had revealed 3 small stones at that time. He said I could stay overnight for IV pain control or go home after receiving an IV of pain medication and medication for later. I opted for the latter. I was given the IV med over a 30 minute period and received 10 tabs of Tramadol, 10 tabs for any nausea and 10 tabs to prevent constipation. Total bill was less than 1,000 baht. 

On 7/28/2021 at 2:12 PM, BritManToo said:

Thai government hospital is the cheapest place for meds.

Thai private hospital is the most expensive place to get meds. 

Last year i was in Chonburi hospital,i see the heart doc every 3 months and get my meds,1500 baht for 7 different ones for 3 months,far far cheaper than outside,not sure if its because i have a pink card also when i spent one night in Samitivit 1 baby asprin 27 baht.go figure

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 10:56 PM, tweedledee2 said:

I was given the IV med over a 30 minute period and received 10 tabs of Tramadol, 10 tabs for any nausea and 10 tabs to prevent constipation. Total bill was less than 1,000 baht. 

Well overpriced, Tramadol was always 40bht for 10.

250bht including the drip would have been more reasonable.