Pickup truck full of durian gets stuck under Chonburi overpass, blames GPS, goes viral on social media

snoop1130

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes 1 ton load by the rules (1.5 ton empty).

Practically: load until you hear it grown.

I always like best when they break in two. Funny.

Also gladly taken: wheels breaking off.

If that pickup is loaded with durian to that height imagine the total weight of the load. Broken half-shaft anyone?

19 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

Apart From being loaded to high ..are these truck 1ton ?

Yes 1 tonne truck ...with 10 tonne springs , and little bit

bigger tyres ......brakes standard !

regards Worgeordie

• Haha 1

A man is mowing his lawn and see his neighbor woman coming out of the house

and going to the mailbox. She opens it and close again.

Some time later it happens again and again and again. She is now slamming the mailbox shut.

So again when she comes out to go to the mailbox, the man asks her what is going on.

The woman says "My computer tells me every time, i ve got mail !"

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

Apart From being loaded to high ..are these truck 1ton ?

Yes. but most of them have upgraded leaf spring suspension and carry around 4 ton. Its pity they don't up grade the brakes at then same time. Thai pick up drivers do not worry about height or weight.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It comes down to perhaps the single most significant weakness most Thai people have. The pathological fear of losing face. Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. Sure, close friends and family. But strangers on the street? Who gives a **** about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. Nothing, less than zero. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again.

Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, and man or woman is made a far lesser person. I consider the practice of face to be the polar opposite of the practice of Buddhism, which teaches the need for introspection, contemplation, owning up to a problem, and taking responsibility for issues, problems and tragedies that you create in life.

As many of us know, a percentage of the Thai population lives within fairly small boxes, of social convention, traditions and expectations. That is not a life that some of us choose. Those that are bold and courageous, will find a way to break past conventions, and live a fulfilling life, based on their own choices, independence, and esteem.

So my message to this woman is this. Man up. Woman up! Admit you messed this one up badly. You dropped the ball. Not the GPS. You. Only you and your faulty eyeballs. 

It is a regular occurrence in the UK for lorries to get stuck on small roads or under low bridges because their GPS directed them that way despite plugging in the type of road they should use. She probably used the function which allows you to avoid low bridges. Some thai drivers are very careful and the GPS failed, as it often does in the UK

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If one is not used to drive with high load this can happen very easily. I once crashed my MTB in tree branches when parking under a tree. Was the first time I had it on the roof. Even stopped as I heard strange sounds and asked my passenger "where does this noise come from", we looked in all directions but not up... and then I drove on ????

Edited by Old Nomad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RobU said:

It is a regular occurrence in the UK for lorries to get stuck on small roads or under low bridges because their GPS directed them that way despite plugging in the type of road they should use. She probably used the function which allows you to avoid low bridges. Some thai drivers are very careful and the GPS failed, as it often does in the UK

There are specially designed GPS for lorries, taking in account bridges and narrow roads, but I bet that she was using a standard GPS. May be even Google Maps. 

4 hours ago, Espanol said:

There are specially designed GPS for lorries, taking in account bridges and narrow roads, but I bet that she was using a standard GPS. May be even Google Maps. 

You're probably right My old TomTom car sat nav from many years ago had those functions but maybe now they no longer install them. Google maps is likely but she did state SatNav

Edited by RobU

16 hours ago, RobU said:

I am sure some Thai drivers are very careful, as you say. They will appreciate the plug and support. 

However, as most of us know, many are not. Many are incredibly reckless. Many cause more accidents than in most countries of the world. Driving skills, awareness, and respect and consideration for others on the road here, in general, are a pale shadow of what they are in most Western countries. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I am sure some Thai drivers are very careful, as you say. They will appreciate the plug and support. 

However, as most of us know, many are not. Many are incredibly reckless. Many cause more accidents than in most countries of the world. Driving skills, awareness, and respect and consideration for others on the road here, in general, are a pale shadow of what they are in most Western countries. 

Yes was taken by a private hire taxi to do a tour of the temples and sights around Pattaya back in the Christmas of 2019. I was very impressed by his care and excellent driving, better than many UK drivers

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 6:02 PM, RobU said:

Great whataboutery there.

14 hours ago, RobU said:

Yes was taken by a private hire taxi to do a tour of the temples and sights around Pattaya back in the Christmas of 2019. I was very impressed by his care and excellent driving, better than many UK drivers

Some of us tend to talk in generalizations here. There are always going to be people who are so exception, they are like cream that rises to the top. We are fortunate if we are graced by their presence, their services, their work, etc. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 9:54 PM, johng said:

Not the first by the look of the damage to the concrete  I wonder if there is a height sign attached to that overpass ?

What difference would a sign make with those highly skilled, highly trained and competent Thai drivers !!!

On 7/28/2021 at 1:05 PM, internationalism said:

lucky she is alive.

If she drove with speed story would be different 

I would have thought she would have needed some speed to raise the front of the vehicle unless she just kept going when it first hit thinking she could force her way under.

On 7/29/2021 at 9:25 AM, champers said:

It is the bridge builder's fault for not building it high enough.

It may have been high enough when built but subsequent concreting over of the road when it breaks up would have reduced the height but I doubt they would have changed any height signs.

This is partly humour and partly serious. Just to avoid confusion.  ????