Donation 415,000 vaccines

phka

Hi, I don't expect any member of the consular team will read this forum much less respond, but they could be in the same boat as every other British expat (i.e. having to wait for a jab from the Thai government).

Here's why:

in Belgium, the UK is vaccinating diplomatic staff but not British diplomatic personnel working on local contracts. 

https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-vaccine-uk-belgium-deal-nato-eu-mission-brussels/

So, it's very likely the same in Thailand: UK citizens working on the consular team probably won't get vaccinated either. 

I found this interesting blog where a spokesman for the DOE issued a statement to a national newspaper: https://www.william-russell.com/blog/getting-a-covid-vaccine-as-an-expat/

Anyone who is returning to live in the UK from abroad will be eligible for the vaccine in line with the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) priority list. Britons living overseas should obtain the vaccine in their country of residence. They cannot arrange a vaccine in the UK from overseas.

spokesperson for the UK Department of Health told Express.co.uk

Follow the money .UK taxpayers living here are helping to fnd this largesse, the UK donating to an undemocratic racist regime. The irony is the USA has requested generously their contribution include foreigners. This means UK citizens here are treated better by the USA than the Thai or British regimes. God bless America .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jadee said:

So, it's very likely the same in Thailand: UK citizens working on the consular team probably won't get vaccinated either.

You are misinformed.They have all been vaccinated.

• Sad 1

it's not the uk governmrnts job to vaccinate expats, if you want the vaccine it is being provided free of charge within the uk, so go home. vaccinating expats in thailand, or any other country, would be a slippery slope as all uk expats around the world would expect similair treatment, a massive undertaking. expats in thailand are not a special case.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, it is what it is said:

it's not the uk governmrnts job to vaccinate expats, if you want the vaccine it is being provided free of charge within the uk, so go home. vaccinating expats in thailand, or any other country, would be a slippery slope as all uk expats around the world would expect similair treatment, a massive undertaking. expats in thailand are not a special case.

You are well aware that the majority of expats would not be able to return to their families, as the requirements for covid insurance are way too expensive.

I have no idea how many UK expats are currently in Thailand, although Immigration should have an up to date figure.

I would expect it to be nowhere near the 415000 donated, therefore if the vaccines cannot be prioritised for UK nationals, it shows the disdain and contempt shown by the UK govt towards them.

Currently in Pattaya there is no way to get a vaccine, this was confirmed yesterday in the British Embassy Vaccine Update.

(see below)

Pattaya

Registration in Pattaya has been temporarily suspended.

Edited by fulhamster
Quote added

11 hours ago, it is what it is said:

So what's wrong with vaccinating all expats around the world same as USA and other western countries. The point here is they they are giving free vaccines to forigners in other  countries but won't give to their own citezens in other countries, many of which still pay tax to the UK government. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, it is what it is said:

free of charge within the uk, so go home

I've seen a few similar suggestions, how utterly stupid they are. Elderly vulnerable long-term residents in Thailand are supposed to up sticks, get on a plane having gone through a crowded airport and arriving at another one, all places where there's very little to protect you from infection, and then what? The UK papers are full of stories about people unable to contact their GPs for an appointment for any purpose, and if you've been away long enough you'll not be on any GP's list. There may be "walk-in" vaccination centres, but where and when they operate seems to be a bit of a lottery. And all the while you're in a country where infections are circulating far more freely than in Thailand; it doesn't matter for most people there because they've been vaccinated, but every day you spend there will be a lottery. You don't have instant protection by getting jabbed, and you need two doses, so you're stuck and at risk of dying for maybe two months or more.

And then there's the business of getting back here.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

How can I get a booster injection when I'm bedridden. I am 90 years old and suffer from five serious lung diseases. I had my two first injections quite long ago before I was bedridden. The embassy ought to to be able to help me. I cannot use a mobile phone because I am very deaf I can only use email

Edited by antony77

On 12/14/2021 at 2:02 PM, antony77 said:

How can I get a booster injection when I'm bedridden. I am 90 years old and suffer from five serious lung diseases. I had my two first injections quite long ago before I was bedridden. The embassy ought to to be able to help me. I cannot use a mobile phone because I am very deaf I can only use email

Hello @antony77. We just sent you a DM to ask for more details so we can advise further. 

• Thanks 1