Renewal of Driving License - DLT currently closed

Need to renew my recently expired 2 year temporary licence.

Beginning of the month the wife called DLT who told us that that renewal in BKK wasn't possible but it was ok to drive on the expired licence until 30 September 2021; the notice below of 27.07.2021 confirms the 30 September 2021. 

Later this month the DLT closed again; see the notice below of 20.07.2021

If anybody spots any updates on the DLT being open again for Renewal of Driving License, please post on this thread to let people know. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/20/department-of-land-transport-suspends-most-in-person-services-in-chonburi-other-maximum-control-provinces/
Department of Land Transport suspends most in-person services in Chonburi, other maximum control provinces
The Department of Land Transport, or DLT, has announced they have suspended most in-person services in the thirteen maximum control provinces, including Chonburi, home of Pattaya, to help prevent the spread of Covid-19. This also includes the Bangkok area and most surrounding provinces.
Specific services suspended, amongst others, are driver’s license renewals, issuing, registration, in-person tests, and more.
Training for renewing driver’s licenses will be online only, according to the DLT.
Tax payments for vehicles will be online or drive-through online, the DLT added.
The notice is effective immediately, July 20th, 2021, until further notice.
Non-maximum control zones will operate according to provincial governor orders, the DLT concluded.

(20/07/2021)

The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has coordinated with the Royal Thai Police to give a respite to the rules, regulations, and ordinances for drivers whose driving licenses have expired. The expired driving license can be shown to authorities until 30 September 2021. For driving licenses that have expired for more than a year from 10 April to 30 September 2021, drivers will be exempted from taking the exam, while those who have expired driving license for more than three years will be exempted from the driving tests. For more information, please contact hotline 1584 or visit the DLT website at www.dlt.go.th. (27/07/2021)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Always go and check. They will be operating but pretending to be shut for licences. I used a driving school next to the DLT to get first in line when on the phone they said they were shut

If the DLT wasn't a 2-3hr round trip, I would pop along to check.

What does the text I made bold mean - you renewed your licence at the driving school?

I understand you can renew up to 1 year after expiration without having to retest. I also understand the police are allowing expired licenses because of the situation. I just went through 6 months of trying to figure this <deleted> out and I finally got an appointment. This might be completely different for you as I'm in Bangkok & doing 5 year-5 year license, but this is what I did.

Got the Certificate of Residence (good for 6 months) & heath check-up (good for 1 month / I actually had to do a new one as the first one expired after a closure a couple of months back). I made probably a million phone calls until was able to contact a real person that had some information. This is who I contacted:

Bangkok Area 4:
102/11 Liabwaree Road
Kokpad NongJork
Bangkok 10530
tel: 02-543-2010 to 12 (UPDATE # 02-543-5500)

They told me every DLT branch has a different policy & they are open & I have to go there & give them my paperwork to make an appointment. I went there at the beginning of July & got an appointment for the end of August. I was advised to watch the video online before my appointment (www.dlt-elearning.com). You have to take a picture after watching the video. If I don't watch the video online, I can at the DLT on the day of the appointment. On the day of my appointment, I understand I do the eye test, take my picture, etc. & get my new license within a couple of hours.

It wouldn't surprise me if it closes again, if it already hasn't, but I understand with my little appointment date, my paperwork won't expire & there should be no problem on the streets, not that I'm out driving around town now anyway.

Try that number & branch, it's the only luck I had.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/22/2021 at 9:38 AM, Awe47 said:

Does anyone have any information regarding opening of DLT for Driving License renewal beyond Dec31 2021 ?

The DLT's are already open. You're supposed to make an online booking to do your renewal, however, that's easier said than done. The Bangchak branch in Sukhumvit have a 3 month waiting list for foreigners and they don't accept the online bookings, they prefer you physically visit them to make the booking. The Chatuchak branch accept 20 foreigner slots per day on a first in first served basis, which means you need to be there by 6:30am to join the queue. In contrast at some provincial branches you do the online video/test, then make a booking online a couple of days in advance.

5 minutes ago, mark5335 said:

The Chatuchak branch accept 20 foreigner slots per day on a first in first served basis, which means you need to be there by 6:30am to join the queue.

at 5:45 am the queue is already past the chair seating and starting a line in back. I went early this month. They were accepting far more than 20 foreigners. At least 200 were in queue (chairs and standing line) and all eventually got inside.

• Like 1