Media, internet users in Thailand warned about spreading fake news and scaremongering

webfact

Any good news to be had ASEAN now ?

1 gbp=45.906 baht.

1 usd=32.864 baht.

The sun is shining in CM.

Thai gf freaking out about not being vaccinated (with anything) - so bought her a flu jab yesterday seems happy enough.

18 hours ago, Mister MXYZPTLK said:

I believe that biggest problem the Gov’t faces is that NONE of them speak ENGLISH Fluently.

Therefore, if someone were to post that “everything in fine for the ones that are dead”, the Gov’t will 

interpret it as “Come to Thailand, bring your money and DIE and everyone will be happy”.

That’s the real problem.  Comedy and Sarcasm doesn’t cross the Pond.

It’s like talking to a DOG.  What you say, what you think he heard, and what he does are totally different.

Prayut doesn't speak any English !  Must be one of only a few PM's in the world that can't speak English

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 9:39 AM, JonnyF said:

No surprise. The government clearly wants exclusive rights on spreading "their" truth and wants people to dismiss other sources. It is happening everywhere, even "progressive liberals" like Jacinda Ardern, the woke lefty darling of NZ was recently quoted as saying...

"take all non-government information with a grain of salt. Dismiss anything else, we will continue to be your single source of truth,”

Scary stuff indeed.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/commentary/suppression-plans-straight-from-ccp-play-book/news-story/71242afe71048b13dd88fe3f4c2fafd9

I wonder why  90% of New Zealanders don't see the truth, she, Jacinda in my opinion is selling the nation down the  sewer and they think she is wonderful!! Who in their right mind would believe what the Ardern government is telling the nation??? Whilst it would appear on the surface that she and her cronies have controlled the virus rather well there were some very obvious monumental blunders, to add the cost of her control measures are going to hurt their small economy for a very long time and you know that anyone with money is going to get fleeced whilst those that don't have money or have no principals are going to continue milking the system for as long as Jacinda holds the reins!!! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, paul1804 said:

I wonder why  90% of New Zealanders don't see the truth, she, Jacinda in my opinion is selling the nation down the  sewer and they think she is wonderful!! Who in their right mind would believe what the Ardern government is telling the nation??? Whilst it would appear on the surface that she and her cronies have controlled the virus rather well there were some very obvious monumental blunders, to add the cost of her control measures are going to hurt their small economy for a very long time and you know that anyone with money is going to get fleeced whilst those that don't have money or have no principals are going to continue milking the system for as long as Jacinda holds the reins!!! 

Very sad for NZ which is a great country!!!

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand banned on Friday the dissemination of "false messages" that affect security,

For reference, from the "breaking news" section of The Nation 31 July 2021:-

"The Digital Economy and Society Ministry (DES) has warned people against believing or sharing news and internet posts that over 300 military officers have been dispatched to detain Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha to prepare for a coup detat"

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40004008

On 7/30/2021 at 8:40 PM, Bobydog said:

The Junta in power decides

Science decides. It’s obvious the lies they’re talking about are the same ones that are causing the spread in the U.S. and causing vaccine hesitancy there. 

Lies from antivaxxers pushing lies about non-existent side effects, lies about the realist chances of side effects, stupid comments saying more people die from the vaccines than the virus. Lies that vaccinations are causing infections. 

Lies from people that claim wearing masks cause hypoxia and hypercapnia, skin infections and mask cancer. Lies from conspiracy theorists claiming the pandemic was planned and it’s about controlling people and taking away rights. 

The scaremongering they’re concerned about is people who urge other not to get vaccinated because they think it will cause infections or infertility or a myriad of other imaginary issues. I haven’t seen any MSM overplaying the risks of a pandemic that’s already killed a few people, it’s always “woke” conspiracy theorists downplaying the situation. The government, like most intelligent people would prefer to err on the side of caution and not encourage risky behavior or dissuade people from doing what it takes to end the pandemic. 

I realize most of you are just here waiting for something to bitch about or a reason to be cynical but, this isn’t that difficult to understand. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 1:53 PM, paul1804 said:

You're spot on.  Comrade Jacinda knows how to control the NZ media like a true soviet commissar.  Reading a Kiwi newspaper (and I use the word grudgingly) is like reading Pravda.  And now Youtube have banned Sky News Australia, and they were one of the few media outlets that dared to critique Ardern, as well as their own corrupt and power mad politicians.  The premier and health minister of NSW are behaving like satanic camp-mothers at a girl-guide jamboree, and totally screwing over the population with their matriarchal lunacy.  Even Oedipus would run a mile.

• Haha 1

On 7/30/2021 at 10:29 AM, Burma Bill said:

1984!! What if the person does not live in Thailand??? Send the "men in black" to dump that person's body in the Mekong River????

Perhaps they can find out who you are and refuse you entry to Thailand permanently

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2021 at 4:12 PM, Guitar God said:

Science decides. It’s obvious the lies they’re talking about are the same ones that are causing the spread in the U.S. and causing vaccine hesitancy there. 

Lies from antivaxxers pushing lies about non-existent side effects, lies about the realist chances of side effects, stupid comments saying more people die from the vaccines than the virus. Lies that vaccinations are causing infections. 

Lies from people that claim wearing masks cause hypoxia and hypercapnia, skin infections and mask cancer. Lies from conspiracy theorists claiming the pandemic was planned and it’s about controlling people and taking away rights. 

The scaremongering they’re concerned about is people who urge other not to get vaccinated because they think it will cause infections or infertility or a myriad of other imaginary issues. I haven’t seen any MSM overplaying the risks of a pandemic that’s already killed a few people, it’s always “woke” conspiracy theorists downplaying the situation. The government, like most intelligent people would prefer to err on the side of caution and not encourage risky behavior or dissuade people from doing what it takes to end the pandemic. 

I realize most of you are just here waiting for something to bitch about or a reason to be cynical but, this isn’t that difficult to understand. 

I for one would like to see fake news outlawed in the UK in exactly the same way. Anti Vaxxers are using YouTube and other social media to spread their lies. There are reports of Social Media 'influencers' being offered thousands of pounds to promote anti vaccine fake news and misdirection. This is causing serious problems in the under 30's of the UK who actually believe them. The so called intelligent young people with degrees in the Arts seem to be very susceptible to this fakery

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RobU said:

Perhaps they can find out who you are and refuse you entry to Thailand permanently

That's about all they could do not many civilized countries would extradite a person for breaking a BS anti freedom of speech law 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 3:37 PM, cheapcanuck said:

The government causes confusion by publishing contradicting every other day. For example, there were several different plans for the "sandbox" scheme. I'm still confused as to how it works, the costs, etc. etc. 

Lucky that there is no crackdown on "fake news"......

• Haha 1

On 7/30/2021 at 8:56 AM, webfact said:

“reporting or disseminating information that may frighten people

This  means simply ANYTHING they dont like as somewhere sometime some moron  will  always be afraid, apologies to  Morons no  offence  implied or  intended, maybe a  sit  down and cup of tea? apologies to  coffee  drinkers for maybe frightening them with the thoughts of tea  drinking, apologies to alcoholics for frightening them for  suggesting drinking something  non alcoholic, apologies to anyone else for my repetitive  apologies and for those who think I should  not be aplogising at  all. Its  not  far off the BS  now permeating the Western cultures.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, RobU said:

I for one would like to see fake news outlawed in the UK in exactly the same way. Anti Vaxxers are using YouTube and other social media to spread their lies. There are reports of Social Media 'influencers' being offered thousands of pounds to promote anti vaccine fake news and misdirection. This is causing serious problems in the under 30's of the UK who actually believe them. The so called intelligent young people with degrees in the Arts seem to be very susceptible to this fakery

And of course no sources come attached to this reactionary nonsense.

Don't like the facts or don't know what they are? Hey, just make up your own!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

The  cure is  called....an education, it doesnt need stupid  rules to deal with it.

Unfortunately as I say in my post it is mainly highly educated people, with Bachelor of Arts qualifications not Science, who are spreading the lies. Stating opinion as fact and using 'he said this and she said that rather than good scientific studies to back their opinion.

18 hours ago, Mike k said:

That's about all they could do not many civilized countries would extradite a person for breaking a BS anti freedom of speech law 

So why do they contribute to these forums if they don't ever want to come back to Thailand? It would be a very big deal for those who want to return to Thailand

On 7/30/2021 at 3:59 PM, Cunning Stunts said:

Do the same, except I run 5km each day............and not for one minute do I think any of it would prevent me contracting and recovering/dying from covid.........(with the exception of obesity/diabetes). My point was there are are no irrefutable remedies to treat covid other than vaccines.

The drive is to get the young to be vaccinated in the UK, hence the story on Sky News today of a super fit 42 yo who refused the vaccine and died because of it.

Sky News.

"Secondly, he had bought slightly into this age of disinformation that we are living in and some conspiracy theories about the safety of the vaccine and what's in [it].

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

A lot of scaremongering about Sinovac efficacy.

Yes it is only 50% effective against getting symptomatic Covid but it is 100% effective against getting serious life threatening symptoms and 100% effective against the need to be hospitalised for those symptoms. In other words its a 50/50 chance you MIGHT catch Covid but the symptoms won't be serious and you will not need hospitalisation i.e. no one dies who has been vaccinated.

With the new variant there MIGHT be a higher 70% chance you will get an infection but again the symptoms won't be serious and no one dies. 

Remember that these are statistical studies if you still continue to take recommended precautions you may never see Covid

It's the cherry picking of infection rates without quoting the other statistics (ie no deaths no hospitalisation) that is the basis of the insidious and dangerous Fake news

Edited by RobU
  • Like 1