Poor water pressure / surging pressure

revgreen

I just moved into a rental townhouse. When we moved in the water pressure, particularly in the master en suite bathroom, was severely lacking. Spoke to the landlord who spoke to a plumber who suggested installing our own water tank (it was pulling straight from the moo baan piping). So the landlord agreed to install the tank. Once the job was done the pressure was slightly improved, though still not to a level I'm satisfied with in the shower. Plus there's now a 'surging' in the pressure in all the taps. I've noticed the pump also cycles on and off at regular (quick) intervals while a tap is open.

Any more I can do to fix this? Plan on staying here for a while.

Sounds like the pump pressure tank is water logged, you need to drain out all the water and re-charge with air.

Exactly how to do this varies from pump to pump. 

What make and model of pump do you have?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, revgreen said:

I just moved into a rental townhouse. When we moved in the water pressure, particularly in the master en suite bathroom, was severely lacking. Spoke to the landlord who spoke to a plumber who suggested installing our own water tank (it was pulling straight from the moo baan piping). So the landlord agreed to install the tank. Once the job was done the pressure was slightly improved, though still not to a level I'm satisfied with in the shower. Plus there's now a 'surging' in the pressure in all the taps. I've noticed the pump also cycles on and off at regular (quick) intervals while a tap is open.

Any more I can do to fix this? Plan on staying here for a while.

Yes quite a lot, but that depends on your monetary involvement. The lack of pressure in the shower is due to one or more of; too small supply pipes, scaled up heater, too small heater, scaled up shower head, blocked filter screens, etc.

The surging is due to one or more of; too small supply pipes for the pump, too big a pump, incorrect (not constant pressure pump) for the job you want it to do, etc.

Simplest fix (not the cheapest or best) replace everything after the water tank including all pipes pump and water heaters.

More complex diagnose where the faults are and correct them

Edited by sometimewoodworker