Covid crisis: Brakes put on Phuket-Samui 7+7 plan and calls for end to "island hopping"

webfact

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

"You lost that loving feeling", oh wait that was the Righteous Brothers, sort of like TAT I guess being so righteous.

They were thinking of Phuket-Samui-Tao

I was thinking of Dream-dream-dream

• Like 2

20 hours ago, webfact said:

This triggers a break in the Samui Plus Model that states 40+ cases over two days requires action.

And their action is?

"Lets wait and see if it doubles over the next day or two then think again" !!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

In Patong pre Covid most of the staff if not all working in hotels, restaurants and on the beach were Birmese. Are they all replaced now by Thai ? I doubt it. Not to say they have no right to earn a living but it doesn't affect the Thai population on the island.

Besides the number of arrivals in July, 10,000 +, is peanuts compared to the workforce needed.

That's total rubbish. "Most if not all hotel staff are Burmese"?! Anyone with a passing knowledge of Phuket's hotel industry knows that this is ridiculous.

You think the Front Office, F&B, Finance, HR, GM, Spa, Kitchen roles are filled with people from Myanmar? Have you ever been to Phuket?

Edited by nkg
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Think your being kind.

In my book the whole concept was a joke.

Added to that, I would love to know the breakdown of genuine tourists vs folk with serious ties to Thailand (married etc) returning via Sandbox.

I think that they should have kept it to ASQ perhaps 7 to 10 days quarantine for fully vaxed folk. 

Cut out all the rubbish.

BTW imo Phuket never got close to 70%.

Smoke and mirrors. Esp with population numbers.

I was being generous.. 

6 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

My point is that if most of the staff as I mentioned is Birmese it doesn''t benefit the Thai population.

Got my point now ?

Yes, got your point loud and clear now - you are willing to make up nonsense in order to discredit it.  Thanks.

Opening up to tourism doesn't benefit Thais.  How utterly ridiculous.

On 7/31/2021 at 8:37 AM, webfact said:

Meanwhile the TAT were still clinging to the hope that experience gleaned so far in dealing with the pandemic situation could mean a resumption of mass tourism in Thailand for the high season come January

Whatever happened to Prayut's mid-October resumption, is the TAT fantasy machine now being more pragmatic and realistic than our increasingly swivel-eyed Prime Minister?

11 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Yes it is peanuts compared to where we used to be but it is a start and it might be giving a tiny bit of relief to some.  And let's not forget it is early days in the experiment - the hope is if it goes well then they can increase visitor numbers.  And yes, lots and lots of Thais stand to benefit from it if it works.

Not really sure what your point is to be honest.

Granted a few (in proportion to the entire population of Thailand) have benefitted but the majority of Thais have not. None of the money made will be donated to other provinces where money and vaccine are also desperately needed. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Why doesn't anyone talk about 

"Pattaya Move Forward" anymore.

That slogan was my favorite.

Sort of catchy.

Or was it "Pattaya Move On"?

So many ripper ideas

Recently I read in the news that Pattaya still plans to reopen October 1st...????

6 hours ago, nkg said:

That's total rubbish. "Most if not all hotel staff are Burmese"?! Anyone with a passing knowledge of Phuket's hotel industry knows that this is ridiculous.

You think the Front Office, F&B, Finance, HR, GM, Spa, Kitchen roles are filled with people from Myanmar? Have you ever been to Phuket?

About 30 + times mostly 5/6 weeks up to 2 months, several times a year. Did you ever talk to the staff ? I did and I found out that kichen, roommaids and waiters are all Birmese. Restaurant EAT in Jung Ceylon kitchen and waiters all Birmese, several other restaurants where I eat regularly same thing. The 2 girls working in the laundry where I bring my clothes, Birmese. The 11 guys running the beachchaires, all Birmese, just the guy sitting in the shadow at a table and collecting the money is Thai. He's the boss. Ask the vendors at the market where they are from, Birma, Bangladesh, Nepal, India ALL of them. Why it is like this ? CHEAP and most Thai males are not interested in physical heavy work, they prefer to sit on the beach waiting for customers to rent a jetski or do parasailing.

How long ago ? I escaped March 10th last year from there after spending 6 weeks just before the lockdown and haven't been back since and I doubt if I ever will be.

So go around, ask questions and you will find out who is talking rubbish.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Yes, got your point loud and clear now - you are willing to make up nonsense in order to discredit it.  Thanks.

Opening up to tourism doesn't benefit Thais.  How utterly ridiculous.

Very, very few and certainly not with the number of "tourists" arriving now. Just go around and ask the staff serving you and the vendors at the markets where they come from, it might open your eyes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

About 30 + times mostly 5/6 weeks up to 2 months, several times a year. Did you ever talk to the staff ? I did and I found out that kichen, roommaids and waiters are all Birmese.

You must have been staying at the worst hotel on the island! Was it a 300 baht/night special on Bangla Road? And didn't you say "most if not all" hotel staff are Burmese? Suddenly you've changed that to "kitchen, roommaids and waiters". No Burmese working in any of the other departments at the hotel, then? A Burmese GM, perhaps? ????

4 and 5 star resorts employ few or no Burmese. Whatever dump you've been staying in might be different.

1 minute ago, nkg said:

You must have been staying at the worst hotel on the island! Was it a 300 baht/night special on Bangla Road? And didn't you say "most if not all" hotel staff are Burmese? Suddenly you've changed that to "kitchen, roommaids and waiters". No Burmese working in any of the other departments at the hotel, then? A Burmese GM, perhaps? ????

4 and 5 star resorts employ few or no Burmese. Whatever dump you've been staying in might be different.

Me and Mrs went to one in Phuket few years back 4 star Beach resort   had a lot of Philippines working there because of the level of English spoken 

2 minutes ago, DaveE13 said:

Me and Mrs went to one in Phuket few years back 4 star Beach resort   had a lot of Philippines working there because of the level of English spoken 

Interesting, I haven't experienced that myself in a Phuket hotel.

20 minutes ago, nkg said:

Me too. Which surprised me. It was the Thavorn beach Village and Spa resort Kamala beach. The girl at reception who showed us to our room was phillipno as was one or 2 staff at bars and restaurant.  Like you not experienced any where else phuket . It was the girlfriend who said she was phillipno.  Because of the accent. I took no notice as usual because it was beer o'clock and pool bar was calling 

On 7/31/2021 at 11:52 AM, josephbloggs said:

Who's rich?  The hotel receptionists, cleaners, cooks, waitresses, gardeners, drivers, the food sellers, the fruit sellers, beach chair vendors and all the other people that are supported by the tourism industry who have had virtually no income for a year?   Moronic and insensitive comment.

The rich are the people who own the hotel etc., not the plebs - the workers are not important !

• Like 1

The people should say thank you to the Black Bamboo Club on Koh Samui. If I understood it correctly most cases come from there. So perhaps not a good idea to allow such businesses to continue - if not everyone else should suffer. But in the end this is nothing new... 

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

Granted a few (in proportion to the entire population of Thailand) have benefitted but the majority of Thais have not. None of the money made will be donated to other provinces where money and vaccine are also desperately needed. 

Perhaps none of the money, but the knowledge gained from the Sandbox experiment will help millions of people all over Thailand to re-open the tourist economy.  They're taking the risk and the learning lumps in Phuket.  And in return, Phuket people are vaccinated at a higher percentage than the rest of the country- and they get to make a little tourist money early.  Seems like a win-win.  Especially since the vaccines diverted to Phuket would have only jabbed 0.5% of the rest of Thailand- an insignificant factor in the scheme of a pandemic.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nkg said:

Pullman Arcadia last December the front of house staff were foreign, including Philippinos. 

Manager I spoke to was a Romanian woman I believe. 

Thais were working in the bar, waiting tables and in the spa.

Never spoke to the housekeeping staff.

6 hours ago, nkg said:

Is Patong Merlin a 300 baht/night hotel ?  During the Christmas holidays we were paing 7,000 bht per night/room so not realy dump. Obviously when talking about staff I mean the "workers" and not the general/financial manager. For your info : I always fly business class and stay in 4/5 star hotels where ever I am, I suppose your self are staying in dump places as you know the price.

1 hour ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Is Patong Merlin a 300 baht/night hotel ?  During the Christmas holidays we were paing 7,000 bht per night/room so not realy dump. Obviously when talking about staff I mean the "workers" and not the general/financial manager. For your info : I always fly business class and stay in 4/5 star hotels where ever I am, I suppose your self are staying in dump places as you know the price.

I'd describe it as a budget family hotel. I strongly doubt that "most" of their employees are Burmese as you claimed.

Looking at a Thai job site, many hotels specify that they will only hire Thai nationals. You might have found a hotel where a proportion of the staff are Burmese, but claiming that most hotel employees in Phuket are from Myanmar is nonsense.

thai.thumb.jpg.a0f7afdee9434ef043eb04c5ccb572e6.jpg

** All positions only Thai nationality **

1 hour ago, nkg said:

I'd describe it as a budget family hotel. I strongly doubt that "most" of their employees are Burmese as you claimed.

Looking at a Thai job site, many hotels specify that they will only hire Thai nationals. You might have found a hotel where a proportion of the staff are Burmese, but claiming that most hotel employees in Phuket are from Myanmar is nonsense.

thai.thumb.jpg.a0f7afdee9434ef043eb04c5ccb572e6.jpg

** All positions only Thai nationality **

I can see your experience in Thailand is to limited to know that what they describe is not always the truth. Just ask them, some of them are to shy to give a straight answer or are instructed by the management  but in the end you find one who tells you the truth.

Not that it matters to me from where they are. I talk to anybody, that's how I find out things. You should try it too !