Thai Retirement Extension - Bank-Book check for Baht 800,000 after 90 days

I extended my Thai Retirement Visa this past May 14, 2021. Attached to my passport is a slip of paper which states that I must come back to Thai Immigration on August 12, 2021 and show my Bank book having baht 800,000 and my passport. It also states that I then must come back on November 12, 2021 and show my bank book having at least baht 400,000. I have two questions?

1. Last year when I extended my Thai Retirement Visa, I only had to come back once after 90 days to show my bank book that I have at least baht 800,000 in the bank. Why I am being asked to come back again in November to show that I have at least baht 400,000 in the bank?

2. The Thai Immigration that I go to is the one in Pathum Thani. After I extended my Thai Retirement Visa in May 2021, I went back up to Chiang Rai to our other home (we have a house in Pathum Thani as well), so that I would be away from the Hot Zone of Covid-19 infections. Now I need to go back to Pathum Thai Immigration to show them my bank book but I have found out that all domestic flights have been cancelled???? What do I do??

1. They have created new rules since last year at that office. There is no official rule that required any check after you apply.

2. You could contact them about it and explain the situation to them.

Perhaps ask them if you could mail a copy of your updated bank book to them.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. They have created new rules since last year at that office. There is no official rule that required any check after you apply.

2. You could contact them about it and explain the situation to them.

Perhaps ask them if you could mail a copy of your updated bank book to them.

What's the fine for not doing it? probably less than flight costs anyway. He can prove his financials were fine at next extension anyway

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What's the fine for not doing it?

The is no fine that could be asked for. It is not a official requirement and the only fines that can be given are those shown in the immigration act.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What's the fine for not doing it? probably less than flight costs anyway. He can prove his financials were fine at next extension anyway

On the slip of paper attached to my passport, it states that failure to comply will void my Retirement Visa!

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The is no fine that could be asked for. It is not a official requirement and the only fines that can be given are those shown in the immigration act.

On the slip of paper attached to my passport, it states that failure to comply will void my Retirement Visa!

10 hours ago, Quast said:

I replied to your previous post about it.

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The is no rule that states you have to prove the balance in your account until you apply for the next extension.

They would not be able to cancel your extension for not doing the checks every 3 months. 

If you failed to keep the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months and then 400k baht after that they could deny your next extension.

PathumThani has been demanding the 3-month bank check for a couple of years now.  Then, last year they added the 6-month bank check. Personally, I comply because I do not want my "visa cancelled" whatever that means.  I believe my visa actually expired 14 years ago, but I guess they could cancel it retroactively and punish me for having lived here 15 years on a retroactively "cancelled visa".   Anyway, the kicker is that after you comply with their 3-month and 6-month balance checks, they still demand a one-year bank statement at your next extension so they can carefully and diligently reverify it ... all ... over ... again ... !

Edited by pablo el sueco
remove exaggeration
  • Haha 1

I have the same small paper attached to passport, each time I go for 90 days first I go bank put in 100 bhat, photocopy bank book, never asked me about it yet but I will continue to do because the first time I do not, I know what will happen????

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, peleid said:

have the same small paper attached to passport, each time I go for 90 days first I go bank put in 100 bhat, photocopy bank book, never asked me about it

I believe the 90-day report and the bank book verification are two separate procedures, handled by two different officers.  The officer who processes your 90-day report does not care about your bank book verification.  When you check in at the front desk to get a queue number, you have to mention that you are there to do both procedures.

Until my last 6-month bank book check, the Supervisor processed the bank checks.  She said it very much was a mandatory requirement.  At my last 6-month bank check however, the clerk at the front desk who issues queue numbers processd it.

• Haha 1

As always, Immigration rules and regulations will vary from office to office. They will be totally ambiguous and without logic. You can quote the official policies until you turn blue, but the officer you're dealing with calls the shots. Hopefully, his hemorrhoids aren't flaring up that day.  Best to just follow the instructions given by your office, and cover your butt.

I would guess that the November date is to confirm that your balance has not gone below 400,000 baht which it can never do.

Edited by curtklay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pablo el sueco said:

I believe the 90-day report and the bank book verification are two separate procedures, handled by two different officers.  The officer who processes your 90-day report does not care about your bank book verification.  When you check in at the front desk to get a queue number, you have to mention that you are there to do both procedures.

Until my last 6-month bank book check, the Supervisor processed the bank checks.  She said it very much was a mandatory requirement.  At my last 6-month bank check however, the clerk at the front desk who issues queue numbers processd it.

My immigration is one room 8 x 4 meters.????????

Further on being told by Pathumthani immigration that 3/6 month visit not required.

1. The slip was not removed from the passport.

2. In the 90 dqy office was fully staffed and the senior officer asked the young woman who for many years ran reception and is now doing a more back office role.

The key point from my post is to phone immigration and check.

• Like 1

Well, someone at PathumThani must have decreed that the 3/6 month checks are required otherwise why put the slip in the passport?  If, at my next extension, my passport is handed to me with a new 3/6 month slip attached, I shall ask the Supervising Officer to confirm whether it is truly mandatory.  If she says it is not mandatory, I shall ask her to void the slip and sign it; only then will I feel assured that my visa will not be cancelled if I fail to comply.  If she refuses to void it, I must consider the slip to be a bona fide demand issued by the Royal Thai Police Immmigration Department with which I must comply or risk visa cancellation.  That is how I view the situation.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 8:04 AM, hotandsticky said:

My appointment form for Jomtien doesn't quote anything of the sort.

Ditto.  Just be careful you don't mix the extra bank check date with your normal 90 day report - it cost me 2000 to learn this.

10 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Ditto.  Just be careful you don't mix the extra bank check date with your normal 90 day report - it cost me 2000 to learn this.

Ha Ha....same happened to me yesterday.......

I mistakenly thought I had reported when I applied for my extension in May.......I hadn't, I reported in March when changing address.

Yesterday they let me do my 19th August 3 month balance check early and I did the 90 day report at the same time. Pleaded Covid mitigation but still had to pay 2,000 Baht.

I now have a diary system to do my reports online.

Just returned from renewing my Retirement Visa, at Jomtien Immigration. For the first time, i didn't receive a form requesting me to prove my Bank funds, in 90 days time. This is the first time this has happened, anybody else, have the same happen to them.

20 minutes ago, turner34 said:

Just returned from renewing my Retirement Visa, at Jomtien Immigration. For the first time, i didn't receive a form requesting me to prove my Bank funds, in 90 days time. This is the first time this has happened, anybody else, have the same happen to them.

Yes, that happened to me the time before last. No request for the 90 proof. When I next renewed, nothing was said about it, but then I did receive the form. Go figure. Be nice if they're running out of steam. 

5 hours ago, BigStar said:

Yes, that happened to me the time before last. No request for the 90 proof. When I next renewed, nothing was said about it, but then I did receive the form. Go figure. Be nice if they're running out of steam. 

That's good to hear, i'll see what happens on my next 90 day ????

I wonder if someone can answer me something.  I want to obtain a Non-O Retirement but not use the 800K version.  I want to use my pension as proof.  Why don't I see too many requests about this type of Extension?  What proof is needed?  I can show the money going into my bank in the U.S. and then I transfer that amount to my Thai bank account.  What other proof is needed?  I don't want to stick 800K in the Thai bank as I invest my money.  Anyone help me on this?  Maybe I don't understand the PENSION version of proving my income.

Thanks

6 hours ago, cunninghamcj said:

I wonder if someone can answer me something.  I want to obtain a Non-O Retirement but not use the 800K version.  I want to use my pension as proof.  Why don't I see too many requests about this type of Extension?  What proof is needed?  I can show the money going into my bank in the U.S. and then I transfer that amount to my Thai bank account.  What other proof is needed?  I don't want to stick 800K in the Thai bank as I invest my money.  Anyone help me on this?  Maybe I don't understand the PENSION version of proving my income.

You would need to prove 12 months of at least 65k baht transferred in to a Thai bank from abroad.

If it is you first extension after entering the country with a non-o it is possible to show 2 or 3 transfer of 65k baht into a Thai bank.

Hello Ubonjoe, I am glad it is you who responded to me.  I am not in country right now but I want to use the pension plan.  Do I need to come in with the Non O or can I come in with a Tourist Visa and get it changed to a Non O.  I am married to a Thai and have a house there and I am getting ready to travel in October.  Your best recommendation?

16 minutes ago, cunninghamcj said:

Hello Ubonjoe, I am glad it is you who responded to me.  I am not in country right now but I want to use the pension plan.  Do I need to come in with the Non O or can I come in with a Tourist Visa and get it changed to a Non O.  I am married to a Thai and have a house there and I am getting ready to travel in October.  Your best recommendation?

Immigration will not accept proof of transfers into a Thai bank to apply for a non-o visa. They only accept proof of income from a embassy that you cannot get if you are from the US.

Since you are married to a Thai you your best option would be to apply for non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai.

Then you could apply for a one year extension based upon marriage by showing 40k baht of income or 65k baht for a extension based upon retirement. For marriage you only need 400k baht in Thai bank for 2 months.

If you have a Thai bank account I suggest you start transferring the 40k or 65k before traveling to here.

On 8/3/2021 at 7:33 AM, PBob said:

Further on being told by Pathumthani immigration that 3/6 month visit not required.

1. The slip was not removed from the passport.

2. In the 90 dqy office was fully staffed and the senior officer asked the young woman who for many years ran reception and is now doing a more back office role.

The key point from my post is to phone immigration and check.

and record the conversation and get the name, rank and number of the IO that has told you this over the 'phone.

• Thanks 1