Visa Exempt to O Visa to 1 Year Extension Based on Retirement – Clarification on Timing

Italian Citizen, arrived in Thailand with Visa Exempt and using Chaeng Wattana Immig.

Very Grateful for confirmation of the following:

- Arrived on visa exempt and given 45 days to remain in Thailand.  I understand I can apply for the O Visa (with 90 days validity) at CW only during the last 15 days of the visa exempt validity.  Is that correct?

- Once I get the O Visa I have 90 days from date of its issue to obtain the 1 year extension based on retirement.  However, I can apply as early as 45 days before the expiry of the O Visa.  Correct?

I will be using the THB 800 k deposit method (first application).  I must have this shown in my bank account at least 6o days before I apply for the 1 year extension.  Correct?

Thanks a lot, Al

Yes all correct.

Just be aware that for the non O application the money in bank on day of application and be shown to come from overseas.

You already have your Thai bank account in your name only? 

Edited by DrJack54

You can also apply for a the non-o visa with at least 15 days remaining on a 30 day extension of your 45 day visa exempt entry if you need more time to do the application. 

Requirments for the visa application is here. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/8-1.pdf

You can apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement up to 45 days early to the last day of the 90 day entry from the visa.

The 800k baht will have to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply for every extension. Since March of 2019 there is no no longer a 60 days for the first extension and then 3 months rule. It is now 2 months before for every extension and then the 800k baht must remain the bank for 3 months after the day you apply and then 400k baht until you top-up your account to 800k baht for the next extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies, but I am still not completely clear (note this is the first application for a Non-O Visa/Extension to stay for retirement).

Does the THB 800k need to be in the bank on the day one applies for the Non-O Visa, or 60 days prior to the application for the 1 year extension to stay?

One other question re source of funds.  Recently sold a condo in BKK, for which I have the original FET showing the amount of forex imported.  The proceeds from the sale are still in my Thai bank.  Can I use these funds as "originating from abroad" for the purpose of the Visa/Extension to Stay?

thanks again, Al

31 minutes ago, AlGoRhythm said:

Does the THB 800k need to be in the bank on the day one applies for the Non-O Visa, or 60 days prior to the application for the 1 year extension to stay?

The 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply for the non-o visa. Then for 2 months on the day you apply for the extension.

31 minutes ago, AlGoRhythm said:

One other question re source of funds.  Recently sold a condo in BKK, for which I have the original FET showing the amount of forex imported.  The proceeds from the sale are still in my Thai bank.  Can I use these funds as "originating from abroad" for the purpose of the Visa/Extension to Stay?

If you have had the 800k baht in the bank for a considerable amount of time the will waive the need to prove it came from abroad. You could even show proof the funds came from the sale of your condo. They just want proof you did not borrow the money to do the application since there is no 2 month requirement for the visa application.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2021 at 8:32 AM, AlGoRhythm said:

I understand I can apply for the O Visa (with 90 days validity) at CW only during the last 15 days of the visa exempt validity.  Is that correct?

You have it backwards. As @ubonjoesaid, you need to have at least 15 days left on your stay in order to apply for the Non-O. In other words, you can apply at any time except during the last 15 days. 

On 8/2/2021 at 2:23 PM, ubonjoe said:

The 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply for the non-o visa. Then for 2 months on the day you apply for the extension.

If you have had the 800k baht in the bank for a considerable amount of time the will waive the need to prove it came from abroad. You could even show proof the funds came from the sale of your condo. They just want proof you did not borrow the money to do the application since there is no 2 month requirement for the visa application.

I would concur with this comment. In 2010, I did something similar, also at Chaeng Wattana. In my case I presented a bankbook showing in excess of B 800,000 which I had saved while working in Thailand for 15 years.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, AlGoRhythm said:

With 90 day non-O Visa is it possible to exit/reenter Thailand within its validity, providing one has a reentry permit?

You can get a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 day permit to stay from a non-o visa valid when you enter the country. The re-entry permit will expire on the day the 90 days ends.