Which paint for wooden kitchen cupboards?

YorkshireTyke

I want to repaint my wooden kitchen units. I've looked at gloss paint online at homepro but there is so many varieties, can anyone steer me in the right direction? The main reason I want to repaint them is they are difficult to wipe clean.

There is water based interior paint, semi gloss, airfresh gold, clean & care semi gloss and a host of others and I haven't a clue what I need.

Any advice appreciated.

46 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

There is water based interior paint, semi gloss, airfresh gold, clean & care semi gloss and a host of others and I haven't a clue what I need.

Any advice appreciated.

If you want shiny get gloss, if slightly shiny get semi gloss.

if the colour on your kitchen is still good then you don’t need to repaint with colour. You can coat with an interior polyurethane, RTB is available from HomePro only and is my go to top coat.

I generally use shellac first, then undercoat, topcoat, and finally the RTB polyurethane.

You can skip the first 3 if it still looks OK.

BUT you MUST clean the surfaces really really well

apart from that the more you pay the better quality you get.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you want shiny get gloss, if slightly shiny get semi gloss.

if the colour on your kitchen is still good then you don’t need to repaint with colour. You can coat with an interior polyurethane, RTB is available from HomePro only and is my go to top coat.

I generally use shellac first, then undercoat, topcoat, and finally the RTB polyurethane.

You can skip the first 3 if it still looks OK.

BUT you MUST clean the surfaces really really well

apart from that the more you pay the better quality you get.

If I want to change the colour slightly do I still need undercoat? I was hoping for a quick one coat solution. I understand what you say about the RTB polyurethane and the current paint is good but after 3-4 years if I go to the effort of re painting I would like to change the colour slightly. Currently a light grey and I'm thinking of looking at a light green. Plus just checked online and my home pro in Hua Hin is out of stock of the RTB polyurethane.

I think the main problem is the current type of paint used was wrong for wood cabinets, it's Beger Shield super gloss enamel and difficult to clean.

2 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

If I want to change the colour slightly do I still need undercoat? I was hoping for a quick one coat solution. I understand what you say about the RTB polyurethane and the current paint is good but after 3-4 years if I go to the effort of re painting I would like to change the colour slightly. Currently a light grey and I'm thinking of looking at a light green. Plus just checked online and my home pro in Hua Hin is out of stock of the RTB polyurethane.

I think the main problem is the current type of paint used was wrong for wood cabinets, it's Beger Shield super gloss enamel and difficult to clean.

If the current colour isn’t damaged, you clean it really well, scuff the surface with around a 240 grit paper you probably don’t need a anything but a topcoat, though maybe a single coat will not be enough.

I spray almost all my finishes so can’t really comment on how well you can brush on to get a solid colour I need several coats but then they don’t take much time and I get a far better finish than I can with a brush.

As to HomePro they can always get an order in 7~14 days or you can order it from the online shop, or direct from RTBpaint.com through the Lazada storefront.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If the current colour isn’t damaged, you clean it really well, scuff the surface with around a 240 grit paper you probably don’t need a anything but a topcoat, though maybe a single coat will not be enough.

I spray almost all my finishes so can’t really comment on how well you can brush on to get a solid colour I need several coats but then they don’t take much time and I get a far better finish than I can with a brush.

As to HomePro they can always get an order in 7~14 days or you can order it from the online shop, or direct from RTBpaint.com through the Lazada storefront.

Thanks for advice. I knew with that username you would have the knowledge.

The guy who will do the job will mainly use one of those small rollers.

25 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Thanks for advice. I knew with that username you would have the knowledge.

The guy who will do the job will mainly use one of those small rollers.

Make sure you oversee the prep work, it should take a lot longer than the painting, if it doesn’t or any steps are missed you will be repainting again in less than a year.

• Thanks 1