3 Tries to Start the Truck

Steps

I have a Mazda Fighter Truck that used to start fine. I took it for a wash and the next day it would not start. One morning trying to start it the starter motor caught fire which i quickly extinguished. A part on the motor has since been replaced which seemed to do the job. However, the next day the truck would not start again. It takes about 3 tries to get it started. When it does start i get black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Does anybody have any idea what may be the problem?

Thank you 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lodstewart said:

I know this may sound strange, but trust me , it would be worth changing the coolant sensor.

Yes thats an unusual answer. Why would you recommend that, curious!!

How old is the beast? Regularly serviced? How far has it been?

When it fails to start does it spin over well and just not fire or what?

Black smoke from a diesel suggests over-fuelling or a dribbly injector. Does it have any ECU/performance mods?

I'm not sure either of our diesels even has glow-plugs, there's certainly no delay to start, press the button and it spins over immediately.

1 hour ago, Steps said:

Does anybody have any idea what may be the problem?

If the black smoke clears after a few minutes, followed by

some whitish smoke, you may have a little water in the tank.

I have a Nissan 2.5 diesel that smoked quite bad, started and ran ok but most of the breather tubes were cracked or broken so I changed them all and the thing goes even better now and zero smoke.

Glow plugs are the first place I would look at. If they look rooted then they more than likely are. 

What fuel do you use.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First mistake --- you washed it!

When I was in the outback in Oz back in the 70s, driving an old Holden station wagon, I used to keep a big hammer in the car. If it failed to start, I whacked the battery and the starter motor with it and... varoom! 

I suppose it's too much to ask if you've tried using the starting (crank) handle. LOL. 

19 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Black smoke is over fueling, when you took it for the wash did they do the engine bay and possibly leave a rag in the air intake..? It has been known before.

Or water got in to the air intake/air filter?