Edema

John K

For about 3 months I have been having rather sever water retention. There were two things that happened at the time this started. First the weather after a prolonged cool season suddenly got hot. I also has a significant change in my diet to have more Thai food.

The questions I have are; Is there something commonly used in Thai food that can cause water retention, and has anyone else experienced the same thing? For the moment I can deal with it by taking a diuretic. That results in between 6 to 9 trips to the toilet with a full bladder during the night. However the following day I may not go at all even after drinking nearly 2 liters.

Normally I have a sodium free diet when eating non Thai and I suspect that may be the main culprit.

Although I am not overly concerned as yet, I wish to rule out as many common sense things as possible before I submit myself for a volley of medical tests.

John, you need to see a doctor. Self-treatment of this is dangerous.

A normal healthy person will not get outright edema no matter what they eat or how hot it is; the kidneys keep the salt and water balanced in the body.

The only exception would be very mild edema of the feet after being on one's feet for a prolonged time; this can be insignificant. But it sounds like you've got more than that.

There are several possible causes, all of them serious:

- liver disease: a cirrhotic liver can block circulation so that veins become distended and fluid leaks into the tissues.

-heart disease: if the heart is not pumping adequately, a back up of blood and leakage into the tissues can occur. If nottrreated pulmonary edema can ensue and be life-threatening.

- kidney disease can cause a leakage of protein in the urine with resulting low osmotic pressure in the blood and leakage of fluid into the tissues.

Frequenting this forum you will know that I don't shy away from advising people in self-treatment but this is not a case where that is safe or appropriate. The underlying cause of the edema may be life-threatening and needs to be diagnosed and treated. (And yes, a number of diagnostic tests will be required).

Diuretics will give at best symptomatic relief for a short period and then the problem will recur because the cause has not been addressed. In addition, you can develop serious electrolyte disturbances from diuretics and may further exacerbate any underlying liver or kidney damage.

Don't delay.

Hi John,

I know nothing about medical issues, but I do have an alcoholic friend of long standing - whose liver is shot - and he has a problem very similar to what you are describing.

I'm not saying you have a liver problem - but it looks like you might have something serious.

Take Sheryl's advice and please get yourself to one of the good BKK hospitals ASAP.

Good luck

Mobi

I agree that it could very well be serious, but I want to rule out external reasons before starting on internal reasons. I truly think it is the food or something in it. I did for a week go back to mostly western food and it subsided somewhat, but it still was very hot outside and I think that could be a factor too.

As I said my diet was mostly sodium free, meaning I never added any but ate it as it was severed. I am also somewhat intolerant of sea food and my skin gets red blotches when I eat shellfish. Because of that I must also consider an allergic reaction.