Single Entry Tourist Visa or 45-day visa exemption?

I'm planning on heading to the Phuket Sandbox soon from the UK. Getting a Single Entry Tourist Visa seems to be the obvious choice, but to do it I need the following:

Confirmed paid flights

Confirmed paid accomodation

Confirmed paid covid insurance

Bank statement showing proof of funds

If I do all this, presumably I'd have to wait 1-2 weeks for the Visa to come back, then I could start applying for the CoE, which could also take several days. Is applying for an SETV worth the hassle?

I'm planning on staying in Thailand for several months, I'm prepared to get an ED visa or do whatever else is necessary.

I think that you'll also need to complete the Coe forms before allowed to enter Thailand and get the 72 hours before flight PCR tests and pay in advance for the 3 PCR tests in Phuket, as for getting a TR visa or getting the 45 days, it's depend on you future plans in Thailand...

i chose visa exempt to avoid having to mail my passport to the consulate (mine was Los Angeles).  i didn't have a printer or copier where i was staying in the US and i absolutely hate going to the post office.  i gave up the extra 15 days on my permit to stay as a trade off.  i also figured the covid insurance was cheaper, you pay for one month versus two.  however, i assume it is possible to book a 30 trip even though you get a tourist visa.  once i arrived, i changed my return flight from august to april next year.  and i went to immigration and changed my visa exempt to a non O (retirement).

note:  i flew asiana.  they canceled the BKK-ICN leg of my return trip while i was doing ASQ.  i was able to call and make my change w/o charge (would have been $200 plus fare difference).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HansumFarang said:

I'm planning on staying in Thailand for several months, I'm prepared to get an ED visa or do whatever else is necessary

Unless you have family or partner here, thinking visit to Thailand (even several months) is strange idea. 

Consider postponing your trip.

Apart from that, I would consider visa exempt entry followed by 30 day extension. (immigration will make you use the standard extension). After that obtain 60 day 'covid extensions' 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Unless you have family or partner here, thinking visit to Thailand (even several months) is strange idea. 

Consider postponing your trip.

Apart from that, I would consider visa exempt entry followed by 30 day extension. (immigration will make you use the standard extension). After that obtain 60 day 'covid extensions' 

Purely conjecture but I can't see that the Covid extensions will be available for too much longer.

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

Purely conjecture but I can't see that the Covid extensions will be available for too much longer.

As one would say....."anybody's guess".

My feeling is based on ASEAN/Worldwide situation and fact that borders will remain closed for quite some time. Also ASQ still in place. 

Anyone relying on using Covid extensions would be advised to have a fall back Plan B.

Apart from all that, I fail to see a reason for Thailand to discontinue covid extensions. 

It would be interesting to know how many folk are in Thailand using Covid extensions. 

I note many of new arrivals are also using them after their visa exempt/tourist visa entry permit expires.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Very hard to say. Some senior immigration officials are very touchy about what they see as abuse of extensions. For them, Covid extensions are not intended to help those who would normally be in-out border runners. They would like to see a crackdown of their use by foreigners who could readily travel to their home countries. As against that, right now, there seems to be a recognition among many in high places that the Thai economy is in trouble, and keeping any foreigners here who spend money is beneficial to the country, even if they are "abusing the system".

In my view, they will end when the authorities conclude that they can attract the "right kind" of foreigner (those seen as profitable) without Covid extensions. At that time, Immigration's arguments about "undesirables" gaming the system will be received sympathetically. Unlike most, I do not think the opening of land borders has any relevance to the decision.

With the "sandbox" system apparently fizzling, I believe Covid extensions will exist for a while yet.

1 hour ago, HansumFarang said:

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

How do the covid extensions work in practice? Do I just arrive at Phuket Immigration and say "I'd like a covid extension, please"?

After your visa exempt or tourist visa entry, they will make you obtain the 'standard' 30 day extension.

After that you can obtain 60 day covid extension.

Print this affidavit that they will provide but nice to have it.

Basically tick box.

https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=727659

Edited by DrJack54