Best visa for long stay in Thailand

I know this subject has been flogged to death on here in the past, but just wondered if the current pandemic has changed the answers?

My brother is 61 and wants to live to Thailand for 6 months of the year.

Is a retirement visa possible?

A tourist visa which is extendable?

He talks about getting an elite visa but I think this is a waste of money..... Comments?

Visa based on child is a pretty good one if not at retirement age yet, as it basically provides a visa until the child turns 20. Same time, the cost of a child with average schooling would then also cover Elite visa lol.

To get to your question, 6 months a year isn't really considered visa running so even a double / multi entry tourist visa would be good in that case. Just not really useful during corona with borders closed. 

If he doesn't mind doing some trips for extensions just a single entry could be fine too. He can extend it right after arriving making it 90+30 days total, after leave the country and come back to get another 30+30 days. Could repeat that and visit Kuala Lumpur once a year, Laos, Cambodia etc.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 3

30 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Visa based on child is a pretty good one if not at retirement age yet, as it basically provides a visa until the child turns 20. Same time, the cost of a child with average schooling would then also cover Elite visa lol.

He has a child ?

If he wants to live in Thailand ongoing for ~6 months per year......My suggestion would be to obtain a non O retirement either in home country (if possible) or here in Thailand. After that he would obtain annual extensions. 

Of course he would need to plan his timing to be in Thailand for each extension. Also have his reentry permit.

He would be best advised to use money in bank method. Just leave 800k in Thai bank ongoing.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 7:27 AM, DrJack54 said:

If he wants to live in Thailand ongoing for ~6 months per year......My suggestion would be to obtain a non O retirement either in home country (if possible) or here in Thailand. After that he would obtain annual extensions. 

Of course he would need to plan his timing to be in Thailand for each extension. Also have his reentry permit.

He would be best advised to use money in bank method. Just leave 800k in Thai bank ongoing.

Yes, Non-O retirement visa.

But if he can fulfill the "income version", it's easier to handle. Income version means, showing the IMO a certified document from the embassy or consulate that he has a constant monthly income of at least 65.000 Baht.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, konaboy said:

I have a 11 year old Thai boy. I am a single American living in Thailand. Can I get a 1 year extension? I arrived on June 1 and am on a O Visa

thanks

Yes, that should be possible, as long as you can provide the requisite financial proof. Your son will need to be with you when you apply. Note that you can get a 60-day extension (one time) to visit your son without financial proof.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, konaboy said:

I have a 11 year old Thai boy. I am a single American living in Thailand. Can I get a 1 year extension? I arrived on June 1 and am on a O Visa

thanks

You can apply for extension based upon being the parent of a Thai. You have to be the legal father of your child by way of marriage or legitimization of your parenthood.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank on the day you apply or proof of 40k baht income.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, puck2 said:

Yes, Non-O retirement visa.

But if he can fulfill the "income version", it's easier to handle. Income version means, showing the IMO a certified document from the embassy or consulate that he has a constant monthly income of at least 65.000 Baht.

UK, USA, AU don't provide embassy letter.

Yes folk can use income or money in bank. 

Less issues with immigration with money in bank method, however both possible.

• Like 1