U.S. CDC urges avoiding travel to Thailand over COVID-19

webfact

4 minutes ago, the green light said:

Coming September, There will be a recommended  booster shot and hopefully a new  stronger vaccine will be available

I'm pretty sure I won't have received my first shot before the end of the year never mind a booster.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, the green light said:

it is logical that vaccination effort around the worlds is not going well.. Herd immunity has not been reached

In Thailand to have 6% of the population vaccinated.  there is a long way to go.

what I fear or predict that this virus will mutate again and who knows. what will happened.

Coming September, There will be a recommended  booster shot and hopefully a new  stronger vaccine will be available

There already are a couple of serious mutations out there since Delta. And could easily get out of hand.

Only in one's dream state will there be any type of booster or more effective vaccine anytime soon. 

They're struggling to get a grasp on the first generation of vaccines for the world's population. 

13 minutes ago, ukrules said:

When it beomces the same as a 'cold' then it's a cold. We're not there yet though.

Data can be gathered from largely unvaccinated countries which have widespread outbreaks of Delta and the next variants which will surely emerge in due course.

There are many such countries where hardly anyone is vaccinated and Delta is running rampant over the whole population.

Eventually someone will run the numbers and do proper national sero surveys....the only worry is that these numbers will be suppressed for some unimaginable reason.

I still don't understand. Are you thinking a new harmless yet highly transmissible variant will stop all new variants evolving or it will give us immunity to Them? 

The countries that have rampant delta strain are suffering unless their population is well vaccinated like the UK where despite high infection rates there are relatively few deaths and hospitalisations. The young and other unvaccinated people are now at most risk. I was in our local hospital ICU a couple of weeks ago and there were no covid cases at the time. A massive difference to earlier this year when I saw a constant stream of undertakers going in and out of the same hospitals mortuary. 

I think the more likely outcome is a regular vaccine booster like we have for flu.

6 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Yet cases are rising from unvaccinated politicalLY  charged “freedom” fighters in the USA.  As long as selfish people exist this virus has little chance of being a distant memory 

Most of them will happily get the jab once they've publish the results of long term studies on the effects of the jab, and the effects on the unborn.

In the meantime, they've decided that the vaccine's risk to themselves and to their unborn children are higher than the risk of Covid to a young adult.

And until a "long term" has transpired, nothing and nobody can prove them wrong.  By definition.  And I agree with their right to choose, though at my age I got the jab as soon as it was practical.

8 hours ago, Katipo said:

There is basically zero reason to come to Thailand right now, and a whole bunch of Covid Delta variant reasons not to.

How about nice weather, beaches, hotel pools, and a getaway from life back home?  Where their odds of catching Covid are higher than they are in Phuket...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Magenta408 said:

CDC is about as credible as a unicorn in my favourite pub now closed with the unicorn inside. This has now become a political issue. CDC has very little credibility, very little credibility. 

Exactly, the CDC is kind of like TOT, both their statements bounce back and forth a lot.  

21 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

With the USA posting the most cases for the last few days I'd imagine those countries are saying don't go to the USA !

Not surprisingly, the states posting the lion's share of new cases are those states which are populated with COVID-19 deniers and vaccine refuseniks, e.g., with folks who get their "facts" from infotainment lapdogs on a certain notorious cable TV "news" channel rather than from actual health experts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, impulse said:

Most of them will happily get the jab once they've publish the results of long term studies on the effects of the jab, and the effects on the unborn.

In the meantime, they've decided that the vaccine's risk to themselves and to their unborn children are higher than the risk of Covid to a young adult.

And until a "long term" has transpired, nothing and nobody can prove them wrong.  By definition.  And I agree with their right to choose, though at my age I got the jab as soon as it was practical.

If that is their genuine reason then yes they should have a choice. The problem is these people are mostly just jumping on the latest excuse they can find and are being influenced by the most stupid and at best flimsy evidence from the least reliable sources while rubbishing proper scientific studies and claiming "covid is no worse than flu used by elites as an excuse to control us". Everytime their arguments are proved groundless they move the goal posts. "Long term" will become a lifetime which will become several lifetimes. I have no time for these muppets now and it's time they were made to suffer the consequences of their anti social behaviour. These are the same people who refuse to wear masks even though it is proven they reduce transmission at least in places with poor ventilation or inadequate distancing. Young men come into restaurants claiming they are too disabled to walk a few metres from the door to a table wearing a mask yet are quite happy to mix with people who could give them a severe respiratory disease. They are selfish A-holes that don't deserve respect. If a new variant comes along that only affects them, I won't be anymore concerned for them than they were for me before I got vaccinated. Forcing them to get medical insurance to cover them for their increased covid risk may be a good start. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

Not surprisingly, the states posting the lion's share of new cases are those states which are populated with COVID-19 deniers and vaccine refuseniks, e.g., with folks who get their "facts" from infotainment lapdogs on a certain notorious cable TV "news" channel rather than from actual health experts.

They do seem to fit a pattern with one or more of these traits -

Trump supporters 

Religious 

Conspiracy theory believers 

Obviously the common link is a total inability to think critically. If it is said by Trump, a minister or on YouTube it must be true - no need to question it and anyone who says different is the enemy to be shot down without even trying to understand their facts.

I'm sure some would even believe the world is flat if their gurus said so.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, chang1 said:

If that is their genuine reason then yes they should have a choice. The problem is these people are mostly just jumping on the latest excuse they can find and are being influenced by the most stupid and at best flimsy evidence from the least reliable sources while rubbishing proper scientific studies and claiming "covid is no worse than flu used by elites as an excuse to control us". 

In 20 years, there's going to be a Zombie Apocalypse movie where there's a class of citizens called "Breeders", made up of the unvaccinated.  They'll be the only ones allowed to have kids because the Covid vaccines cause birth defects on everyone descending from the vaccinated.  Hopefully, it'll be fiction.

Vaccine tragedies are like asteroids.  The odds of them happening are almost (but not exactly) zero.  The problem is the absolute devastation on the 1 in 10,000 chance they do come to pass.

Until we have some history of vaccinated people getting pregnant, taking the pregnancy to term and demonstrating no adverse effects on the next generation(s), there's going to be people refusing to be vaccinated. And I support their choice of what they allow into their bodies (and by default, into their offspring).

And the CDC/gub'ments haven't made it any better.   No masks...  Wait a minute... No masks for the vaccinated...  Wait a minute.  Get vaccinated and get on with your life...  Wait a minute.  2 jabs and you're done...   Wait a minute.  No adverse side effects...  Wait a minute.  Masks required in public...  Unless you're "sophisticated".  Is it any wonder people don't trust their edict de jour?

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

In 20 years, there's going to be a Zombie Apocalypse movie where there's a class of citizens called "Breeders", made up of the unvaccinated.  They'll be the only ones allowed to have kids because the Covid vaccines cause birth defects on everyone descending from the vaccinated.  Hopefully, it'll be fiction.

Vaccine tragedies are like asteroids.  The odds of them happening are almost (but not exactly) zero.  The problem is the absolute devastation on the 1 in 10,000 chance they do come to pass.

Until we have some history of vaccinated people getting pregnant, taking the pregnancy to term and demonstrating no adverse effects on the next generation(s), there's going to be people refusing to be vaccinated. And I support their choice of what they allow into their bodies (and by default, into their offspring).

And the CDC/gub'ments haven't made it any better.   No masks...  Wait a minute... No masks for the vaccinated...  Wait a minute.  Get vaccinated and get on with your life...  Wait a minute.  2 jabs and you're done...   Wait a minute.  No adverse side effects...  Wait a minute.  Masks required in public...  Unless you're "sophisticated".  Is it any wonder people don't trust their edict de jour?

You credit them with far too much intelligence.  If they just said they were concerned I could go with that but no they have to use the most stupid reasons to justify their concerns. These same people don't take the risk of dying from covid or getting long covid seriously yet do take the totally unproven minute risk a vaccine poses as a far higher concern. Then they lump all vaccines as one when there are actually many already around and more on the way. Apart from a few very rare cases this rollout of all the various vaccines has been a fantastic success. The only real problem has been getting it into people fast enough. 

Studies have already been done showing vaccines are safe to be given during pregnancy. I have not looked at the details but certainly some results are already in. 

Even if no birth defects are linked to vaccines, they will say it is a cover up and find a case of a vaccinated woman in Brazil or elsewhere having a baby with a problem of some kind to "prove" they were right all along even though the woman had been infected by the zicka virus just after getting pregnant. 

Are these people not concerned that the Delta variant could cause birth defects when unvaccinated people are infected? Easy for me to say that it is just as likely as I have just as much proof as they have for their mutant causing vaccines. 

In the UK we get them moaning that last week masks were not needed now they are, last month we were told to eat out now we are being locked down, last week we could go to Spain now we can't. We'll sorry if this confuses the stupid but covid or rather sars 2 doesn't follow the rules so the rules have to suit the situation. Hardly rocket science is it. Local lockdowns are the best things to show how stupid people are. Areas with high Asian populations became infected with the Delta strain and were locked down. It is known Asians are reluctant to get vaccinated and flout the rules like social distancing. Then people start moaning that they are unfairly being locked down more than other places (that follow the rules), 

I also have my criticisms of how things were handled such as - there should be a single website with all covid related information instead of it coming from multiple places - try finding out if a 12 year old counts as part of a group when groups are limited to 6 in a restaurant in England (not Scotland). 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

If one is vaccinated, is there really a big risk to that person?  If there is a risk, then why are vaccinated people in the USA now rarely required to be masked, or stay at home in lockdown, etc.   So wishy washy on how things are handled

CDC states 2 jabs of Pfizer and you are 99% safe from hospitalization and death from Delta

20 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Looking at the huge amount of cases in the USA .

Telling people to avoid travelling to Thailand is a bit like a really rough hooker insisting you wear a condom.

Yes, but most Americans are vaccinated, which prevent serious illness, etc. And it's fine to advise of other countries - good for those who are vaccinated already. The problem with the USA now is the unvaccinated and those vaccinated with comorbidity.

Edited by Bohemianfish
spelling, update

2 hours ago, chang1 said:

You credit them with far too much intelligence. 

Studies have already been done showing vaccines are safe to be given during pregnancy. I have not looked at the details but certainly some results are already in. 

1) No, I don't automatically (and arrogantly) believe that people who hold opinions contrary to mine are less intelligent than I am.  Maybe at a different stage in their life, since I'm an old fart with heart problems, and won't be spawning any kids in the future.

2) The vaccines have not been around long enough to do any definitive studies on how they'll affect the unborn.  That will take years.  You have drunk the Kool Aid.  It's okay to say "probably", but not okay to say "the results are in".  That's demonstrably false, a lie.  All you have to do is look at a calendar and understand that they can't test for learning disabilities right out of the womb.  It's that exact phenomena -being lied to- that's causing a lot of the hesitancy.  

Edited by impulse

2 hours ago, impulse said:

1) No, I don't automatically (and arrogantly) believe that people who hold opinions contrary to mine are less intelligent than I am.  Maybe at a different stage in their life, since I'm an old fart with heart problems, and won't be spawning any kids in the future.

2) The vaccines have not been around long enough to do any definitive studies on how they'll affect the unborn.  That will take years.  You have drunk the Kool Aid.  It's okay to say "probably", but not okay to say "the results are in".  That's demonstrably false, a lie.  All you have to do is look at a calendar and understand that they can't test for learning disabilities right out of the womb.  It's that exact phenomena -being lied to- that's causing a lot of the hesitancy.  

1 - sorry,  anti vaxers wind me up and certainly not all of them are thick but I despair at what some have fallen for

2 -

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/safety-quality/new-data-reassuring-covid-19-vaccination-pregnancy

I meant preliminary results are in like those referred to in the link above. 

If no learning difficulties are found they will need to wait for reproductive studies then it will be life expectancy studies then are people's great grand children affected. 

There will never be enough evidence to prove vaccines are safe as they will always find some dodgy website claiming an African witch doctor saw a vaccinated person's descendant turn into a goldfish and fly away proving no-one should ever have been vaccinated, despite thousands of studies proving any minor risks are far outweighed by the real benefits.

If I called myself Dr conspiracy,  an ex government researcher and put out a YouTube video claiming nanobots are being added to vaccines to enable governments to track and control people many would believe it. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2021 at 3:14 AM, RichardColeman said:

With the USA posting the most cases for the last few days I'd imagine those countries are saying don't go to the USA !

Well I'll not be going to the USA. And as far as Americans not coming to Thailand I can only consider it a bonus. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, chang1 said:

1 - sorry,  anti vaxers wind me up and certainly not all of them are thick but I despair at what some have fallen for

2 -

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/safety-quality/new-data-reassuring-covid-19-vaccination-pregnancy

I meant preliminary results are in like those referred to in the link above.

1)  There's idiots on both sides.  Like the ones that want me to wear a mask fishing 100 yards away from them.  Or even the ones that want us all to stay locked up in our homes until Covid blows over.  Or, in this case, those who claim that the vaccines must be pumped into every man, woman, child, infant and pet because the MSM and Big Pharma say they're safe.  Yup.  Dogs and cats can get and spread Covid...  Maybe we need to euthanize them all?  Or at least mask them...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/animals.html

2)  The first paragraph on your link says it all.  

One of the largest reports on COVID-19 vaccination in pregnancy bolsters evidence that it is safe although the authors say more comprehensive research is needed.

Some very reasonable people want to see that comprehensive research before they risk the future of their family line...  for generations.

14 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

CDC states 2 jabs of Pfizer and you are 99% safe from hospitalization and death from Delta

99% over what time frame? Antibodies decrease over time, regardless of which vaccine is used. What is important is B and T cell activity, long after the original antibodies are gone. I doubt 99% also applies to the elderly, also. They are still more vulnerable to sickness to a higher degree even after vaccination. 

I've had both doses of az, and will wait until 2nd generation vaccines come around. 

On 8/9/2021 at 4:52 PM, DaveSamutP said:

Unless they want vaccines or jobs, of course. ????

Funny, My Mexican friends from Mexico are heading to the US by the droves. 

Before the US wanted a covid-19 test I know several that made the trip..

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

99% over what time frame? Antibodies decrease over time, regardless of which vaccine is used. What is important is B and T cell activity, long after the original antibodies are gone. I doubt 99% also applies to the elderly, also. They are still more vulnerable to sickness to a higher degree even after vaccination. 

I've had both doses of az, and will wait until 2nd generation vaccines come around. 

That's true across the board. What priority would save more lives? Jabbing younger age groups without existing conditions saves very few lives in comparison 

On 8/10/2021 at 12:38 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

Israel had ZERO infections and covid deaths just 2-3 months ago, after a succesfull

Pfizer vaccination campain.

than israel opened everything and lifted all restrictions.

now israel has one of the highest infection rates in the world.

today 5400 new cases were recorded. it is like 150,000 daily in USA.

conclusion:   THE VACCINE DOES NOT WORK !!

yes, hard to admit, but true : VACCINES ARE NOT WORKING !!!

The vaccine definitely does not work for the idiots who can, but won't take it.

On 8/10/2021 at 8:51 PM, impulse said:

How about nice weather, beaches, hotel pools, and a getaway from life back home?  Where their odds of catching Covid are higher than they are in Phuket...

Why coming to Phuket with all the crazy restrictions,compulsory mask wearing,endless covid tests,death night life and so on when you can go to many other countries with the only request of being vaccinated?

On 8/10/2021 at 8:10 AM, jacko45k said:

Look up 'prevent' in the dictionary and get back to me. 

I believe that is where our differences lie.

I understand a person who has been vaccinated can be infected, but it is quickly eliminated, in the best case scenario. 

You're the one with the incorrect definition of 'prevent' - you're using it to mean 'always prevent'.

Vaccines do not 'always prevent' infection, but they do prevent infection.

1 hour ago, wprime said:

You're the one with the incorrect definition of 'prevent' - you're using it to mean 'always prevent'.

Vaccines do not 'always prevent' infection, but they do prevent infection.

Don't presume to teach me English.... your oxymoron last sentence has already been well disputed and rightly so. 

On 8/10/2021 at 10:33 PM, chang1 said:

<snip>

Even if no birth defects are linked to vaccines, they will say it is a cover up and find a case of a vaccinated woman in Brazil or elsewhere having a baby with a problem of some kind to "prove" they were right all along even though the woman had been infected by the zicka virus just after getting pregnant. 

Are these people not concerned that the Delta variant could cause birth defects when unvaccinated people are infected? Easy for me to say that it is just as likely as I have just as much proof as they have for their mutant causing vaccines. 

<snip>

Bit like the people who blamed the Gates organisation for some children in India being disabled by their Polio vaccination. 

Fact Check: Conspiracy theory says Bill Gates-backed polio vaccine disabled 47,000 kids 

• 3 weeks later...