Cost Of Diving In Los

Kerryd

One of my co-workers here is planning a trip to LOS and wants to do some diving.

He got a quote from some agency in Bkk, offering accommodations at 1,500 baht per night and 800 baht per dive. I take it that this is a packaged deal.

Not sure exactly where this is supposed to be though (i.e. Phuket/Pattaya/Samui). I know I could find cheaper accommodations (in Pattaya), but I don't know what the cost of the diving would be. I've never taken a course or done any diving, so I have no idea of the costs.

Would 800 baht per dive be inclusive of the boat rental, equipment rental and what ever else would be required ? Is that an average price ?

Thanks for the assistance eh ! :o

One of my co-workers here is planning a trip to LOS and wants to do some diving.

He got a quote from some agency in Bkk, offering accommodations at 1,500 baht per night and 800 baht per dive. I take it that this is a packaged deal.

Not sure exactly where this is supposed to be though (i.e. Phuket/Pattaya/Samui). I know I could find cheaper accommodations (in Pattaya), but I don't know what the cost of the diving would be. I've never taken a course or done any diving, so I have no idea of the costs.

Would 800 baht per dive be inclusive of the boat rental, equipment rental and what ever else would be required ? Is that an average price ?

Sounds like a Koh Tao deal. Good value for money, but not really good diving.

The best diving is on the Andaman side, where the diving will be a bit more expensive, from about 1,000 Baht per dive excluding equipment rental.

from Phuket the standard "retail" prices that the bulk of the boats offer are 2500 baht for two dives and 2900 for a three tank trip. These normally all include return transfers from the main areas, lunch onboard but exclude equioment rental which can vary from 400 to 800 baht per day for a full set depending which boat it is that you are one or which dive centre you booked with

Hi Kerryd

Tell your co worker to not book through an agency. Rather to book directly with a DC. These agencies rely on commission and most of the guys sellng the dive trips or courses have never ever dived before so they have no idea of what they are offering. Nor do they really care.

Depending on what area he is keen on diving I recommend that he do a google and send in email enquiries to check out the replies. Then to follow up in person upon arrival to see if the email matches with what is really being offered. Some websites are not quite honest. Once he actually meets the operators he will see who he really would prefer to dive with.

Also the accommodation quote at 1500 baht per day sounds rather expensive to me (unless it is peak high season) even by Phuket standards. Since the quote of 800 baht does not indicate what exactly is included I honestly cannot comment. For example however, our shore dives off Kata Beach cost 900 baht inc equipment, a longtail boat dive to sites 5 minutes away from the beach is 1400 baht inc equipment. 200 baht less for those who have their own equipment. In the high season the daytrip costs start from around 2800 baht for a 2 tank dive, transfers, lunch and refreshments included. Equipment rental is an extra 600 baht per day.

Hope this helps?

Chantal

Thanks for all the replies (so far). I've asked the person in question to give me some more details (where this dive-trip is supposed to be, the name of the agency he's booking through, ect).

He'll definitely have to rent equipment, as I'm pretty sure he didn't sneak it with him here in the 'stan. :o

And from the living conditions we have here, anything above a tin shanty in the slum district will be a step up in style (especially if it has air-con and a normal bathroom !) :D