The air conditioning nightmare

CH1961

I recently bought a Pansonic Double Inverter model to replace a 10 year old Samsung unit that had been peeing out water. The double inverter is a step backwards.....the unit is more costly and is cool not cold and whereas the old Samsung, whether peeing water out or not, cooled our large room  very well. Sorry I changed.

• Like 1

I wanna replace the 15 yo Yashima unit (worked without any problems) with a new model but want a unit that makes some (white) noise to drown out noises from outside and most new models are too silent. I stayed in a hotel a few years ago that had a model with a white noise option on the remote but didn't take note of the brand. Anyone know which model(s) have this option?

4 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I wanna replace the 15 yo Yashima unit (worked without any problems) with a new model but want a unit that makes some (white) noise to drown out noises from outside and most new models are too silent. I stayed in a hotel a few years ago that had a model with a white noise option on the remote but didn't take note of the brand. Anyone know which model(s) have this option?

I used to work shift work and needed to sleep a lot in the day. I just bought a stand alone whitenoise generator. Buy one on Lazada fro 300 or less. I think you would pay a lot more than that on an AC if you can find one.

Edited by Dazinoz
  • Like 1

1) Daikin and Mitsubishi are market leaders, albeit also the most expensive ones; you get what you pay for. The Fujis, Central Airs and all the stuff from PR China does the job as well; yet higher costs in running them and higher maintenance in the future. 
2) a proper installation team (i.e. Numchai, just to name one) provide not only the guarantee of the hardware but will also ensure (or fix faulty, incomplete) installation. Daikin has installation teams as well but coming all the way from Sriracha makes them, understandably, more expensive. 
3) regular, preventive maintenance is the key to any hardware. Have it cleaned every six months from all that dust which accumulates in pre- and main filters. This cleaning can require that they take down the fan coil inside the room and give it a proper cleaning outside with a high pressure washer. At the same time let them check/replenish eventual coolant

Following this, you will be happy without headaches for decades. Recently I replaced 20 and 21 years old air conditions (all Daikin). They still work perfectly well but, compared to todays inverter compressors, they used much more electricity. At the time it was state of the art, now I changed it to again state of the art. The old units got sold for a solid 5000/piece as they were in immaculate condition, perfect preventive maintenance provided. 

My little unimportant and irrelevant grain of salt to the subject ....... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

Great savings!

60% supposedly.

I turn that option on around 3:00 am after its really chilly.  Keeps it really comfortable and saves money?

I put my bedroon Mr Slim on Dry, De-Humidify for 5 hours the other day, and it still got the room cold and took about 1 unit of lekky per hour.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I used to work shift work and needed to sleep a lot in the day. I just bought a stand alone whitenoise generator. Buy one on Lazada fro 300 or less. I think you would pay a lot more than that on an AC if you can find one.

Get an old FM radio and don't tune it into a station = white noise.

Why would drowning out the noise of say ckickens PLUS the white noise help you sleep. Surely earplugs would be a better answer.

• Haha 2

I completely renovated my apartment primarily because the (built-in) airconditioning system that I installed when I bought the place 15 years previously was failing on a regular basis, with disastrous leakages from the ceiling etc. I think the original system might have been Daikin, but by the time the aircon tech had finished, (doing 3x per year cleaning and increasingly regular repairs), each unit was a busterdised variation of the original. Soo, all of that was replaced with 5 Mitisubishi wall-mounted units. They have been regularly cleaned every 6 months by the guy who installed, who is accredited by Mitsubishi, and they work extremely well. The only fear I have is that the next cleaning is in September, and I am concerned about having the team in the flat for the 3 hours it takes for them to clean, (currently avoiding workmen of any description). The best news is that the electricity bill has reduced by  3 or 4 times.  

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Get an old FM radio and don't tune it into a station = white noise.

Why would drowning out the noise of say ckickens PLUS the white noise help you sleep. Surely earplugs would be a better answer.

Ear plugs hurt me too much sleeping with them in for hours. Chickens would definitely keep me awake. The white noise I used was a continual shhhhhhhhh and it worked for me. A few times I went to bed and could not sleep and then I realised I could hear outside noises because I forgot to turn my white noise on. Not for everyone I guess but worked for me for many years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dazinoz said:

Ear plugs hurt me too much sleeping with them in for hours. Chickens would definitely keep me awake. The white noise I used was a continual shhhhhhhhh and it worked for me. A few times I went to bed and could not sleep and then I realised I could hear outside noises because I forgot to turn my white noise on. Not for everyone I guess but worked for me for many years.

Get some comfortable ear buds, find one of the many soothing music things on You Tube which go on for hours, much nicer than shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. LOL

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

I called our guy out several times because one room not getting cold. Two times "Topped up gas." said he. Third time I told him there must be a leak or something else wrong because never gets gold.

So he tops up gas again, then tells me, " Condensor fan was running in wrong direction."

He has been servicing this for three years and no problems before.

Didn't you notice your neighbours were wearing overcoats?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Get some comfortable ear buds, find one of the many soothing music things on You Tube which go on for hours, much nicer than shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. LOL

Like I said it WORKED for ME .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rwill said:

My recommendation.  Don't buy Samsung air conditioners.

I would say don't buy Samsung anything other than a phone if you have to. It is a mistake to extrapolate Samsung's reputation with 'phones to other products. Girlfriend did this in the aircon shop, my comment was "break after one year". Salesman nodded in agreement and said "yes".

I have had a Daikin for years - solid as a rock (but perhaps not an inverter model)

My advice having owned and LG 'phone is don't buy L:G anything.

47 minutes ago, johng said:

To take the humidity out of the air (dry it) the evaporator has to be cold

therefore the compressor has to be running and using electricity  therefore its likely the dry mode will actually cost more.

With my Daikin in dry mode it cools the room seemingly the same and the compressor goes on and off and the whole unit goes off for a while and then comes back on. Unit is continuously on with normal cool setting.

5 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Our first Aircon was a Samsung's.  It also stopped working after 3 years. Good refrigerators though.

We built a house.  

I wanted to save electricity so I ordered Daikon inverter air-conditioning ers, 8 of them.

They couldn't handle Thailands heat and humidity.  If it was over 28 Celsius it felt like it was blowing warm air?  

I was upset.  Daikin s aren't cheap!

I've been told inverters just can't handle the extreme heat and humidity.

Luckily they replaced all of them with Mitsubishi Mr Slims.

Its been 4 years now and I'm very pleased.  Usually run them at 22-24 celsius for a good nights sleep.

Mitsubishi's are great products and easy to get cleaned, gassed up, or repaired anywhere in Thailand.  I see them installed in hotels throughout Thailand.

There was a similar thread a few months back from "Sheryll" in Hua Hin about her 

Daikon inverter air-cons air- blowing warm air.

Good luck!

I couldn't live here without Aircon.

Same as you I noticed Mitsubishi in all gov and commercial buildings.

My first rental had them all decades old. The house I just bought has had them for ten years and all working.

That's what I'll buy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, millymoopoo said:

why 'inverter' (reverse cycle) models.?

Where in Thailand do you need the heating offered by inverter A/Cs.?

There is fixed speed aircon vs inverter aircon. 

Inverter has nothing to to with heating/reverse cycle ????

https://www.myvoltas.com/blogs/the-differences-between-an-inverter-ac-and-a-fixed-speed-ac/#:~:text=The inverter air conditioner is,also good for the environment.&text=The inverter air conditioner is quiet in operation.

7 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Our first Aircon was a Samsung's.  It also stopped working after 3 years. Good refrigerators though.

We built a house.  

I wanted to save electricity so I ordered Daikon inverter air-conditioning ers, 8 of them.

They couldn't handle Thailands heat and humidity.  If it was over 28 Celsius it felt like it was blowing warm air?  

I was upset.  Daikin s aren't cheap!

I've been told inverters just can't handle the extreme heat and humidity.

Luckily they replaced all of them with Mitsubishi Mr Slims.

Its been 4 years now and I'm very pleased.  Usually run them at 22-24 celsius for a good nights sleep.

Mitsubishi's are great products and easy to get cleaned, gassed up, or repaired anywhere in Thailand.  I see them installed in hotels throughout Thailand.

There was a similar thread a few months back from "Sheryll" in Hua Hin about her 

Daikon inverter air-cons air- blowing warm air.

Good luck!

I couldn't live here without Aircon.

WE have also Mitsubishi  units  bayght a home pro and use there service 

never a problem  service 1 time a year 

3 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

model with a white noise option on the remote but didn't take note of the brand. Anyone know which model(s) have this option?

I do not know what is a "white" noise but I have few units of Fujitsu where I can select: Auto, High, Middle, Low, and Quiet

I have them over 15 years, bigger and smaller ones, they are wonderfully quiet - (the noise is the first criterion for me), even if not maintained every year.  With the Quiet position they are barely heard even in completely quiet surrounding.

Why to ask for the inverters? That's just another part that can go wrong after some time.  Besides, that every converter of energy - what the inverter also is - inverting the frequency (or voltage?) for the speed change continuously, not in steps - will result in certain some loss, even if very low. 

10 hours ago, rwill said:

My recommendation.  Don't buy Samsung air conditioners.

I bought one once.  It kept losing refrigerant too.  My Air guy checked the lines and couldn't find any leaks.  He said the leak must be in the unit and I should call Samsung to get their technicians to check it out since it was still under warranty.  A couple of weeks later the Samsung technicians show up.  They had nothing to check for leaks with.  I had to give them some of my dish soap.  In the end they just tightened up the fittings going to the compressor and left.  I replaced the unit.  I just go with Mitsubishi now.

I have yet to see any Air technicians in Thailand that have leak detectors.  They just rely on soapy water.  Kind of sad.  I have seen them for sale on Lazada though.

And yes the general attitude here is not to fix a leak if it is not too bad.  Just keep charging the refrigerant back up.

A dye check for ac leaks is a must. 

If the Chang can't do that tell him/them to LEAVE.

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I put my bedroon Mr Slim on Dry, De-Humidify for 5 hours the other day, and it still got the room cold and took about 1 unit of lekky per hour.

Crazy good!

Mitsubishi's are workhorses.

Pay a little extra and get the best!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Crazy good!

Mitsubishi's are workhorses.

Pay a little extra and get the best!

What I was saying is that it took more lekky on Dry than if it was on Cool.

But yes, no problems with them at all.