Sinus congestion, anyone reccommend medication?

Kenny202

Seem to have a chronic sinus problem, blocked cavities. I have tried sinus pills and even the non drowsy ones make me sleep. Tried nasal flushes with saline and work ok bit only for a couple of hours. I am using a spray the moment which works well but apparently only meant for use no longer than one week periods. Chemist recommended another one today Rhinocort but it looks like a cortisone thing and pretty sure you are only meant to use those for limited periods also. Any help or recommendations appreciated

I had congestion for years and tried everything. Finally went to an ENT doctor who put a camera up me bugle and said NASAL POLYPS. Prescribed some pills, spray and nasal irrigation with salt water. Not much help. My brother had the same and was prescribed Prednisolone, a steroid. Went to local govt hospital where the Dr also suggested this. After three days I was clear as a bell. Took them for a week, 2 in morning and 2 at night. Then you must wean yourself off them or you can feel bad. All good now. Prednisolone from my local pharmacy are Bht1 per tablet.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

Very similar problems and use the saline nasal flush and the best spray that really does clear them Ive found to be Otrivin  but meant to be for short term only.

Hot face cloths on the sinus regions do tend to loosen and decongest.

Loads of videos on youtube with various methods try Dr Alan Mandell and Adam fields also Austin Goh.

Worth a browse you may find something that helps.

• Like 1

The decongestant nasal sprays that contain things such as oxymetazoline hcl and naphazoline hcl will come with a nasty rebound affect after extended use.  

I would recommend first seeing an ENT to rule out polyps or a severely deviated septum, but before jumping into surgery of any kind (something I wish I had never done), try to find the root cause.  One thing to check for is mold (or other environmental) allergies and potentially food allergies.

Edited by Airalee

52 minutes ago, Airalee said:

The decongestant nasal sprays that contain things such as oxymetazoline hcl and naphazoline hcl will come with a nasty rebound affect after extended use.  

I would recommend first seeing an ENT to rule out polyps or a severely deviated septum, but before jumping into surgery of any kind (something I wish I had never done), try to find the root cause.  One thing to check for is mold (or other environmental) allergies and potentially food allergies.

I know the cause, allergies. Have had them since I can remember worse at this time of the year and change of season. Done all the tests etc and basically allergic to everything. I used to get uncontrollable sneezing which seems to have abated over the last few years. Now itchy eyes and sometimes itchy forearms.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I had congestion for years and tried everything. Finally went to an ENT doctor who put a camera up me bugle and said NASAL POLYPS. Prescribed some pills, spray and nasal irrigation with salt water. Not much help. My brother had the same and was prescribed Prednisolone, a steroid. Went to local govt hospital where the Dr also suggested this. After three days I was clear as a bell. Took them for a week, 2 in morning and 2 at night. Then you must wean yourself off them or you can feel bad. All good now. Prednisolone from my local pharmacy are Bht1 per tablet.

You can get Prednisone over the counter here? If so would you be kind enough to PM me a photo of the pack to show the Pharmacy please. I thought Prednisone also were things that shouldn't be taken long term?

8 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

You can get Prednisone over the counter here? If so would you be kind enough to PM me a photo of the pack to show the Pharmacy please. I thought Prednisone also were things that shouldn't be taken long term?

I went to my local pharmacy and they counted 100 tabs into a bag for me. There are white or pink ones.

You CAN take a small dose long term, Google it. But it cleared my hooter up in a week or so.

Nasonex is gold.

Can be used long term and no re-bound.

Beware of prednisolone, can weaken your immune system, can be hard on the stomach and cannot be used long term,

Evidently nasal irrigation can be counter productive as it washes away the natural nasal flora.

Edited by LosLobo

2 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Nasonex is gold.

Can be used long term and no re-bound.

Beware of prednisolone it's weakens your immune system and cannot be used long term,

Evidently nasal irrigation can be counter productive as it washes away the natural nasal flora.

Is nasonex available in Thailand?

17 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

NASONEX contains the active ingredient mometasone furoate. This belongs to a family of medicines called corticosteroids, which are used to help reduce inflammation.

Nasonex - Thailand Medical News

I haven't seen it for sale online, only Lazada. 1400 baht ???? Does that sound right?

3 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I haven't seen it for sale online, only Lazada. 1400 baht ???? Does that sound right?

You can buy it locally, most larger pharmacies have it.

Bangkokdrugstore.com has it for 875 baht (140 doses).

Before trying any further self treatment I strongly recommend you see a good ENT as there may or may not be a chronic infection present and this makes a big difference to the necessary treatment. Using steroids alone if an infection is present would be a very bad idea.

Where are you located?

9 hours ago, nong38 said:

I have found that Declogen tablets free available in pharmacies work for me very well, they pronounce is "diclogen". Not expensive and worth a go.

I like these also, but I prefer the Tiffy (white and green)packs brand .

6 hours ago, thaitom said:

Tiffy is great but it knocks me out. Mind you normally have some of the best sleep I ever had when I take them, but no good in the day

I know the OP stated the cause being his allergies... but cutting down on his exposure levels might help a lot (ie addressing the source). I would like to suggest consider paying attention to home filtration measures. I have an air quality meter that measures from .3 to 10 micron. (.3, 1, 2.5, 5 and 10) close to one of BKK's numerous charcoal satay or chicken stands, blows reading of over 60,000 - where they say anything over 50 is *not good* I have measured 300+ plus 41 stories up off of Samyan intersection on the worst days. (The US embassy never installed an independent AQ meter like they have done in Beijing, though I did suggest they do so) This is the reason the state of CA banned charcoal grills many years ago. I did a lot of retrofitting and window sealing (default Thai windows do not seal worth S - both for noise and pollution). Even during the worst BKK pollution I can keep our condo at 1/10 of whatever it is outside or lower.  I recommend using a 70% cover on your AC units with 3M filtrete filter material (electrostaticly charged). The long roll is a lot cheaper and easier to work with than the folded packages - the folds prevent it from laying flat and makes it hard to cut. (This changes your existing AC units into an air filter. Then do a 100% cover over your bathroom and kitchen fans since most damper doors do not really seal. I also run a large quiet 3M FAP03 unit with added cheap ebay (powercord direct) digital timer that cycles it on and off each hour or so. This saves 50% of the energy as even on its lowest setting it is using 100watts. After a month or so the white 3M sheets go nearly black. I don't have any specific allergy, but this cuts down massively on baseline congestion. In the past I tried Omnaris nasal spray at night (better pharmacies sell it at 700 baht - good for a month, but at half dose (one squirt instead of 2 - 60 days), but in my opinion dealing with the cause/source is better than "treating the symptoms" as they say. I notice a rather rapid increase in congestion after being out and about that clears up once back inside. I used to spend weekends in Samat Prakan in a place with windows that did not seal and some neighbors that cooked with charcoal I was always a congested mess. This area of BKK has some really bad baseline air pollution from my readings. Then in central BKK with all the concrete construction and high rise teardowns there is so much concrete dust in the air the flat helipad on our condo has a thick layer of it and we are 1km meters away.

On 8/14/2021 at 7:22 AM, thaitom said:

Tiffy is mostly paracetomol with phenylephrine 2mg  and chloropheniramine maleate 10mg.