Birds in the roof space

mrbojangles

Due to our house in the boonies being vacant for quite extended periods of time, we have had some birds move into the roof space as it's usually nice and quiet etc.

There is obviously an entrance they are using to get in and out but no matter how many times we try and block any possible entrance areas, they find another way of getting in.

Do any of you guys have or have had the same issue? If so, did you resolve it and how did you do it? I'm thinking of one of those ultrasonic gadgets and sticking it in the roof space but I don't know how effective they are.

Any help greatly appreciated

Can you get into roof space to see where light comes in....?

Check from the inside, not the outside. If you don't find the spot, then they will always come back, even after putting a cat up there to clear the space...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Moth balls are effective at keeping critters out (not just moths) so a couple of bags of the big ones scattered around might do the trick.

Oh, not heard of that one before. Does you Mrs know the Thai name Crossy? Nobody speaks English in the hardware shops etc near here so always useful to have the name of the stuff in Thai

18 minutes ago, transam said:

Check from the inside, not the outside. If you don't find the spot, then they will always come back, even after putting a cat up there to clear the space...

Yeah. That was the first thing we tried Trans and I thought we had covered everything off but it appears not. It's a very big roof space with several different angles and tight spaces, so there are some areas that we can't quite get to, to have a good look. They must be getting in via one of those areas but it's nigh on impossible to close off fully

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, transam said:

We had bats in our roof space so we put the smaller of our 2 cats up there and she found a bat and brought it to the roof entrance , only prob transam she liked it up there and so stayed there for about 20 hours. No more cats in the bellfry .

• Haha 1

In Phoenix Arizona many businesses would put those shinny spinners around their roof tops to deter birds and it was working for them.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--8678085225263080559__abId--215376__pvid--bb36abbb-6c25-4529-a46c-9b729c452989__matchType--3__srcQuery--pigeon deterrent__spellQuery--pigeon deterrent&from=suggest_normal&page=1&q=pigeon deterrent&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.3.788e31H731H7Ez&sugg=pigeon deterrent_1_1

I had the same problem when my aging soffit was in need of repair and the birds kept finding new holes  to make their nest in or even chipping away at the older soft wood.  In the end I ended up replacing all the soffit around my house.

• Like 1