Is an international licence attained in Thailand valid in the UK ?

7 minutes ago, johng said:

Anyway  "mostly"  they will except a licence with photo on it and written in English without the need for a translation ( not even translated into Thai)

A.K.A  "international drivers permit"

You've got this wrong john. As said previously an IDP is only valid in conjunction with a full licence from your home country.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I was asked to present an IDP, they wouldn't accept my home licence.

So I had to do both practical and theory tests to get my Thai licence.

From which country?

Edit:  Never mind, just seen that you were expecting to get away with presenting a prehistoric UK licence.     If you've still got that it may be an idea to exchange it for a current photo licence.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

From which country?

Edit:  Never mind, just seen that you were expecting to get away with presenting a prehistoric UK licence.     If you've still got that it may be an idea to exchange it for a current photo licence.

Can't, I don't live in UK, I live in Thailand and the Thai DLT can't issue me with a new UK licence.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

From which country?

It's a VALID UK licence, no reason that it should not be accepted.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:
On 8/20/2021 at 4:04 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

From which country?

You and I know that it's valid and no one is saying that it is invalid but that does not matter, what matters is whether, in this case, Thai authorities accept a non-photo, unlikely-looking paper licence, many years old for the purpose that you wanted.   Insisting that it's valid does not make it acceptable to present here to get a Thai licence as you found out.   There's no reason for it to be accepted here in order to get a Thai licence if Thai regulations demand a photo licence!

Getting it swapped for an up to date, recognisable  photo licence that will not be queried in other countries may be a good idea considering that it's only £20.

On 8/20/2021 at 4:04 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

From which country?

Expand  

Can't, I don't live in UK, I live in Thailand and the Thai DLT can't issue me with a new UK licence.

Really?  Thailand cannot issue UK driving licences?  Well, there's a surprise, I always assumed that they could.  Who'd have thought, eh?

In theory, you could do it by post to the UK but, of course, if you're no longer resident in the UK you can't and, legally, that old licence is now invalid anyway.   

Edited by Liverpool Lou

No, it is not.   If you're no longer a UK resident the licence is actually INVALID!   UK licences are only valid for UK residents.

Edited by Liverpool Lou