Adopting step son in Thailand

stament

I want to adopt my step son in Thailand and wondered if any TVM had gone through the process and could share their experience, requirements, etc.

I plan to contact the Thailand authorities this morning but in my experience you learn more from TVM than from the authorities, e.g immigration, etc.   I have been based in Thailand now for the last 18 months.

I did search on the government website for the criteria in English but sadly wasn't able to find the exact document despite there being many other documents.  Hence I will contact the authorities today.

Looking forward to receiving responses.

Thanks in advance.

I can only contribute what a friend told me one time, when he tried to adopt, he had known the mother since she was pregnant, and had been working in the 'night entertainment' business. The child then was 7yrs old. When asked about the fathers name, she had no clue. Sorry need the fathers permission. end of. 

First check the the father will approve an adoption. From experience from a friend, you'll need the father's permission. In my friend's case - the friend is the mother that got married to foreigner - it was extremely difficult, but finally settled by a (relative small) sum of money in exchange for a signature on the right document.

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

First check the the father will approve an adoption. From experience from a friend, you'll need the father's permission. In my friend's case - the friend is the mother that got married to foreigner - it was extremely difficult, but finally settled by a (relative small) sum of money in exchange for a signature on the right document.

Out of interest @khunPer how long did the process take after the tea money was paid?

We had an in-family adoption. I believe that red brick building was on Sri Ayutthaya Road.

Regardless of the child's mother, this is a good karma act for the child. A foreign passport is gold.

Our daughter has the same initials as my grown children & graduated university in Canada last year.

• Like 1

Not pushing the suggestion.  If there is a Will there is a way?  years after my adoption another family member introduced me to a lawyer friend in Bangkok, it is a large firm across the road from the U.S. Embassy. She and the brother were raised in the U.S. speaks perfect English I've used her for a number of things and recommended to lots of people in Thailand particularly for visa matters.

There is a way to by pass the parent particularly the father signature but it means going to court. Sounds scary right you know the word " abandonment "  for me at least I would rather spend the money and go to court than succumb too their blackmail.  Off topic there are laws on the books even in Thailand for child support never enforced due to the bias in the men judges and unless you have money to take someone to court and when it comes to the majority in general these deadbeats are rarely going to show up.

I ran into a old friend we got talking he mentioned his situation that he has been caring for his Thai lady kid close to 10 years the last few been trying to gain legal custody using another lawyer in the end after close to 200,000 nothing said he could barely understand the lawyer and he was a retired lawyer himself. After I heard his story I threw out my friends name six months later I got a call said he got Thai legal custody, the mother served never showed up now the lawyer was working on a passport so he could take the girl to the U.S. and adopt her there.

Shoot me a PM if you want the name.

Edited by thailand49