Fate of my 800,000 baht deposited for Ret Ext.

soleddy

At 60 I duly retired from teaching and obtained my retirement extension.

I am unmarried with no kids.

I have a full UK will with a large UK Law Firm. Apart from nieces and brothers and two EU friends, my Thai Ex (male) is also a beneficiary.

As a Thai, he has pointed out that in the event of my demise, the SCB bank keeps my money unless I can get it out, or if I have a fatal accident. He is not sure that the 800,000b is covered by my UK will, even though it is part of my estate.

In the event of my demise I have suggested that the Thai friend and my brother march into the SCB with my cremation paper and my UK will. My friend, as a Buddhist, tells me that as a box of ashes, Thai law says I have no need of the 800k and the bank may decide to keep it.

Does anyone know the procedure to be followed if I have no family but I am cremated here?

Thx

Eddy

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Also you could during 7 month's take half out of it and keep it under your own handling . So at least 400 000 are out that danger zone temporary....

Keep good watch to fil up again to 800K sure 2 month's  before your new ret.ext.  

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

covered this in my Final Directive, Under what circumstances to pull the plug, and who gets what, signed with four witnesses that are not beneficiaries.

I have the impression this is sufficient.

• Like 1

I don't see why the 800k should be treated any differently to the rest of your Thai assets. If you have a Thai will bequeathing all your assets to your partner, can it be ignored, saying 'he doesn't need this stuff/money any more because he's dead'? No. 

Get legal advice, but the question seems fairly ridiculous to me. 

I wish you a long life! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, andy9469 said:

To make a will with a Thai lawyer costs at least 5,000 Baht and later the lawyer will act as the executor of the will. After the death bank accounts will be frozen (by the embassy) and every inheritance has to be verified by a Thai court. This process takes about 6 months.

For assets in Thailand everybody should make an extra will as Thai law might be different to the law in your home country (e. g. compulsory portion).

I found this website about making a will in Thailand:

https://www.samuiforsale.com/family-law/forms-of-wills-under-thai-law.html

I think you should check with your local amphur. In Pattaya you can do this every Wednesday afternoon.

A Thai lawyer preparing a will is only the executor of the will if that is specifically written into the will.  Normally, the executor is often a family member--spouse, son, daughter, etc.  Being an executor is not something to be taken lightly--there can be a lot of work--and paperwork--involved.  A Thai lawyer certainly can be an executor but it should be clearly stated in the will, with monetary compensation also written into the will for the work involved.  5000 baht normally would only cover the preparation of a will, not the work involved in being an executor.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, newnative said:

5000 baht normally would only cover the preparation of a will, not the work involved in being an executor.  

What are typical fees involved with being an executor?  If one has accounts with multiple banks is the executor fee than if just one bank?

7 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Did anybody wonder why "Big Joke" changed the rules regarding the 800/400K requirements a few years ago, which you can never use because you would default your visa?  Ask yourself how many expats die in Thailand without a Thai will and their overseas families cannot touch it, then multiply that number by say 600K Baht average, then consider the relationship that banks managers have with the BIB, and then ask yourself where all that money goes to.

They would prefer you die with a substantial amount in your account as opposed to the nominal 2 pounds three and fourpence as it was previously.

No doubt.  It was an easy stroke of the pen to create more monies.  And

15 hours ago, david555 said:

Also you could during 7 month's take half out of it and keep it under your own handling . So at least 400 000 are out that danger zone temporary....

Keep good watch to fil up again to 800K sure 2 month's  before your new ret.ext.  

As far as I know, you'll have to keep the money for 2 or 3 months after your ret.extension.

• Like 1

Just now, Peterphuket said:

As far as I know, you'll have to keep the money for 2 or 3 months after your ret.extension.

Excactly .....hence i talk of 7 months and then a new full 800k needed topped up ( 2 before applicating+ 3 months after stamped = 5 months and then maximum 7 month under your handling for the half of it eg.400 000 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Spend the money in the remaining years and use an agent at 12,500 a year

About 15 years I have now a retirement extension with 800K on the bank, all the time.

That what you say, use an agent, I see it more than once and was not aware of this, and still I don't understand.

Is there somebody who can explain this, and maybe somebody know an agent in Hua-hin or surroundings?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Thai Will in my opinion is just worthless especially if you are talking about just the 800,000 baht, as noted, but of course it is about trust isn't it, just obtain a ATM card, give it to your friend and when you number is up just drawn the money out! 

Even with a Will it seems no one give a <deleted> when it comes to farangs no one follows the rules so one needs to think of ideas to get around things ATM card will do just that?????

20 hours ago, soleddy said:

As a Thai, he has pointed out that in the event of my demise, the SCB bank keeps my money unless I can get it out, or if I have a fatal accident. He is not sure that the 800,000b is covered by my UK will, even though it is part of my estate.

To my knowledge banks will freeze accounts upon death until the estate is settled.

Best advice is always to make two last wills, one covering assets in one's home country - i.e. UK in your case - following the home country's law, and nother last will in Thailand covering assets here, and following Thai law. Write the conditions for the retirement deposit in the Thai will.

Making a Thai will can be a very simple procedure, and verified at the local "amphor" district office. You can read about it in the book Thai Law for Foreigners, or search in ASEAN Now forum, there are several threads here with information about making a Thai last will.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, shortstop2 said:

What are typical fees involved with being an executor?  If one has accounts with multiple banks is the executor fee than if just one bank?

I don't think there is a 'typical' fee--estates and the work involved can vary so much; some family members named as executor will do the work with little or no compensation.  The fee could be a percentage of the value of the estate or a set fee agreed upon by the parties and written into the will.  

• Like 1