U.S. Housing Prices Explosion Making Repatriation a Less Realistic Option for Many?

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yet there is no shortage of people flooding into the US hoping to to take advantage of ",,,the economic push and pull of ruinously high US housing costs...". 

Not that canard again.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Reposed said:

No. I moved here. One room stand-alone bungalow, quiet area, $130/month.

My first "apartment" in California was $55 a month. 

My first apartment here was B36.000 or about $850. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Which basically tells us nothing without a lot more details.

25 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And only 50 years apart?

In 1973, I rented bungalow on the sand in Pass-a-Grille, Florida. $75. Paid for with VA benefits while in college. Gas was .49 cents per gallon, and I made over $200/week delivering papers for two hours a day.

Life was very, very good.

Did I mention that many, many bikinis passed through that bungalow?

The world now, makes me tired.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Which basically tells us nothing without a lot more details.

It tells us both were a long time ago, and it certainly tells us as more than saying an apartment in Texas was $1,100, yes? 

21 minutes ago, Reposed said:

And only 50 years apart?

About 25 years apart. The apartment in California was something of a bungalow as well. This was 1974, and I was working at the Rosecrans Drive-Inn Theater. My older brother as sweating the draft, I just missed it. 

In 1973, I rented bungalow on the sand in Pass-a-Grille, Florida. $75. Paid for with VA benefits while in college. Gas was .49 cents per gallon, and I made over $200/week delivering papers for two hours a day.

From '78 to '88 I traveled with a carnival that wintered in Florida. Had a single room on a train for $15 a week. Coming from SoCal I never liked Florida much, but I did have a good time. 

Life was very, very good.

And it gets better every year...

Did I mention that many, many bikinis passed through that bungalow?

No shortage at the carnival either...

The world now, makes me tired.

It's not the world doing that! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes the economic push and pull of ruinously high US housing costs has clearly amped up interest of Americans to move abroad.

Sometimes as a survival tactic and other times to get much more bang for your bucks. 

Not to mention, Sell high....

My sister bought a $230k house for only $440k, just a few months ago.

Idiot.

I like more bang for the buck, myself....

Is basic just crappy housing only for the elite?

This young woman brings up some obvious but not discussed enough points about the overall SOCIAL COST of such widespread housing insecurity.

Tenant Puts Landlord on Blast After They Try to Increase Her Rent by $700 (dailydot.com)

‘Housing should not be a privilege for the elite’: TikToker puts landlord on blast after they try to increase her rent by $700

'Ask them what $8k worth of improvements they've done in the past year.'

17 hours ago, Reposed said:

No. I moved here. One room stand-alone bungalow, quiet area, $130/month.

I had a 4 room bungalow in Loei for $25 a month  ... in 1978.  The 2-room place at Pratunam in BKK was about twice the price but the grounds were much nicer, as the owner, a Khun Ying, took care of that. 

2 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

I had a 4 room bungalow in Loei for $25 a month  ... in 1978. 

Madagascar has the world’s cheapest apartment rental. For house-hunters or ‘staycationers’, the lowest rental price in the country is 1500 Malagasy ariary – or about 60 US cents per month.

That's NOW.   Back in 1978 I stayed in Madagascar for 26 cents a year.   lol.

$25 a month.......yea, that's probably 8x cheaper than a place back home in 1978.     Now, it's actually about 15x cheaper to live in Thailand.  

So, after 20 pages of this the best I have concluded is that I seem to be living in a parallel universe.

Yes, housing costs have increased. I know my own rentals have increased in price, so I'll fess up to that.

Yet here I am, I work my crappy paid retirement gig with the airlines. My equally crappy paid co-workers all seem to be able to afford housing, I don't think any of them are living out of a cardboard box and a shopping cart!

We don't live in a ghetto, just a rather sedate suburban, and rather beautiful part of South Dakota.

Somehow we seem to have escaped the dystopian world of homeless encampments on every street corner that seems to be the hysterical theme of this thread

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thanks 2

This is a very good video of only 35 minutes

It speaks to why this is happening (inflation) devalued currency etc

It even has something JT might like because he also speaks of a high possibility of civil war in the USA as well as world war

Dont mind the sensationalized title it is not a doom & gloom video

But give it a listen if you have the time & dont miss the last 5 minutes too ????

About Ray Dalio

Raymond Thomas Dalio is an American billionaire investor and hedge fund manager, who has served as co-chief investment officer of the world's largest hedge fund, Bridgewater Associates, since 1985. He founded Bridgewater in 1975 in New York

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

So, after 20 pages of this the best I have concluded is that I seem to be living in a parallel universe.

Yes, housing costs have increased. I know my own rentals have increased in price, so I'll fess up to that.

Yet here I am, I work my crappy paid retirement gig with the airlines. My equally crappy paid co-workers all seem to be able to afford housing, I don't think any of them are living out of a cardboard box and a shopping cart!

We don't live in a ghetto, just a rather sedate suburban, and rather beautiful part of South Dakota.

Somehow we seem to have escaped the dystopian world of homeless encampments on every street corner that seems to be the hysterical theme of this thread

Yeah, well it's a good bet you nor any of the people like you will not  make it on any of the leftist media outlets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is basic just crappy housing only for the elite?

This young woman brings up some obvious but not discussed enough points about the overall SOCIAL COST of such widespread housing insecurity.

Tenant Puts Landlord on Blast After They Try to Increase Her Rent by $700 (dailydot.com)

The only solution is to provide free housing for everyone that needs it. This will drive the price down and get people off the street. 

This could be done by compelling greedy landlords to let 50% of their for free. They can easily do this by simply doubling the rent of the rich tenants. It's a win for everyone.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

The only solution is to provide free housing for everyone that needs it. This will drive the price down and get people off the street. 

This could be done by compelling greedy landlords to let 50% of their for free. They can easily do this by simply doubling the rent of the rich tenants. It's a win for everyone.

Disingenuous.

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, well it's a good bet you nor any of the people like you will not  make it on any of the leftist media outlets. 

I have noticed that the majority of news reports about victims of very greedy landlords include information on landlord's POV and give them a chance to respond which they often decline. They also report the hikes as legal. Legal isn't the same as right.

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

South Dakota population represents what TINY percentage of the country? You have reported your anecdotal personal experience and that has value but hardly tells the bigger national story.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

South Dakota population represents what TINY percentage of the country? You have reported your anecdotal personal experience and that has value but hardly tells the bigger national story.

And every article you linked to leads with an anecdotal story or two, which hardly tells the bigger national story. 

Has the number of homeless in the United States significantly increased in the last twelve months? If so, do you have anything of substance that would support that? 

Do you not believe the moratorium on rent collection has an impact on rent increases? 

Do you not believe the moratorium on rent collection ending has an impact on evictions and or people voluntarily leaving? 

Do you not believe that as property values increase, that rent has to increase as well? 

I know you are not the President, but what, if anything do you think can be done to slow the rise in property value and rents, that will not ultimately exasperate the problem? 

As I've said, I believe increasing interest rates and  getting the government out of the loan with absolutely hold property values down. 

• Thanks 1

But what you are also saying is that South Dakota does provide a viable option for repatriation.

I'm not saying SD is the only one out of 50 as unique, but come on your doom and gloom just isn't real.

Anecdotal news stories which you love to post just don't reflect the experience of average Americans 

You don't live in the US. 

We straddle both the US and Thailand, and I see both realities.

You can, for the most part by your own choice be homeless almost anywhere.

But for most regular folks in the US without drugs mental health issues they are surviving just fine, albeit with the struggle of the current inflation spike.

But then again most us here lived through the 70/80's inflation crisis which puts todays 9% in the shade

Edited by GinBoy2

Well, per HUD, there are about 600 homeless in the US, so the TINY percentage of of the population represented by South Dakota is significantly higher than the percentage of the population represented by the homeless, yes? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Well, per HUD, there are about 600 homeless in the US, so the TINY percentage of of the population represented by South Dakota is significantly higher than the percentage of the population represented by the homeless, yes? 

Only 600 is it?

Was that a typo?

Source please..

There is also the definition of homelessness and how well the counting is done.

Are these groups counted?

Couch surfers

Living in cars

Etc.

What about people who are working three jobs paying 75 percent of their income in rent basically one minor unfortunate event from the streets?

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

And every article you linked to leads with an anecdotal story or two, which hardly tells the bigger national story. 

Has the number of homeless in the United States significantly increased in the last twelve months? If so, do you have anything of substance that would support that? 

Do you not believe the moratorium on rent collection has an impact on rent increases? 

Do you not believe the moratorium on rent collection ending has an impact on evictions and or people voluntarily leaving? 

Do you not believe that as property values increase, that rent has to increase as well? 

I know you are not the President, but what, if anything do you think can be done to slow the rise in property value and rents, that will not ultimately exasperate the problem? 

As I've said, I believe increasing interest rates and  getting the government out of the loan with absolutely hold property values down. 

I am not going to be baited into a policy debate.

I have already posted links about the direct correlation of dramatic rent spikes and increased homelessness.