Bangkok Bank Closure @ Pantip Plaza

fangless

Just received a letter today from Bangkok branch telling me that they are closing the Pantip Plaza Branch and moving all accounts and sevices to the branch on Chang Klan Road.

Looks like another nail in the coffin for Pantip Plaza where the cutbacks even include stopping the power to the down escalators above the 1st floor!  I think there are now only four or five stalls on the central area of the ground floor and the same number of shops on the back wall.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

When I was at Bangkok Bank branch at Pantip Plaza many months ago, the counter staff were just chit-chatting with the security guard even after I hit the service button. Glad that branch is closed.

Pantip Plaza used to be the haunt for hundreds of farangs 'learning Thai' upstairs even though they often don't turn up for classes. lol

4 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Bought my "netbook" there when they were the hot item----ahh the salad days of panthip.....RIP

Pantip Plaza is going to be resurrected next year when the tourists start coming back. Don't worry, they are not dead yet.....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Pantip Plaza is going to be resurrected next year when the tourists start coming back. Don't worry, they are not dead yet.....

I certainly hope it survives but have my doubts as even my local 7/11 has closed!

On 8/26/2021 at 10:14 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Just turn it into a Chinese all you can eat seafood buffet...2 levels open seating..one giant shrimp trough

I think the Chinese went to the nearby Anusarn market nearby where there are many seafood restaurants. Wonder how is the state there nowadays....

It used to be bustling with tourists.

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

I think the Chinese went to the nearby Anusarn market nearby where there are many seafood restaurants. Wonder how is the state there nowadays....

There are many youtube videos and photos on google of the Anusarn Market - Chiang Mai Night Bazaar taken recently. Perhaps 7%? of the businesses remain. I've walked through the entire area at night a couple of times. There is absolutely nothing left of it. They have even knocked all the walls down. It's just an empty shell with a good number of homeless people sleeping in there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, EricTh said:

Yep id take tourists there and warn them of that big seafood place--grey eyed fish--lobster--prawns==$$$$ seafood in a "mountain" locale....

Thats one way to be laid out for your whole trip...bad seafood.....I do not indulge in seafood unless I am near an ocean...esp in LOS (food safety)

Whats really sad is the nifty tourist market across the street that was a nice place to gather for drinks--music--food--now a wasteland-- "Plong Rudee"/sp

18 hours ago, johng said:

I learnt a few Thai words from Pantip

Ahh I remember the "sexy" VCD sellers  who would disappear for 15 minutes to retrieve the actual VCD disc from somewhere  I think they burnt them on a computer in some hidden closet ????

Yep I got season 7 of the simpsons doh!!!!!

• Like 1

Si Net (WiFi) told me at the beginning of the month, that they were moving out. They have a little kiosk back near the Big C Mini store. Back in the aughts I bought both the Simpsons and X Files DVD's at Pantip & many others, memories.

Writing is on the wall for KSG now.

23 minutes ago, fangless said:
6 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Writing is on the wall for KSG now.

Who or what is KSG?

I think he has got a bit a mixed up with the Sinet kiosk at panthip and Kad Suan Keow

That Bangkok Bank branch has been devoid of customers each time I have been in Panthip recently

Edited by Mickeem
addition to post
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Mickeem said:

I think he has got a bit a mixed up with the Sinet kiosk at panthip and Kad Suan Keow

My apologies, I did not mean to confuse, but, yes there were two thoughts in the post. An If/Then sentence works better.

If Pantip plaza is toast, then KSG is not far behind.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

My apologies, I did not mean to confuse, but, yes there were two thoughts in the post. An If/Then sentence works better.

If Pantip plaza is toast, then KSG is not far behind.

Kad Suan Gaew Bangkok Bank is still there, I was there a few days ago but with fewer customers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 6:57 AM, Dante99 said:

Congratulations you have now joined the eminent group who for the past 15 years have been predicting the imminent demise of KSK.  

The Bangkok Bank at Kad Suan Kaew is practically an anchor store for that mall.  A few years ago, the assistant manager of the bank told me that the mall management wanted the bank to move to the third floor to encourage more traffic through the mall, but they refused.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NancyL said:

The Bangkok Bank at Kad Suan Kaew is practically an anchor store for that mall.  A few years ago, the assistant manager of the bank told me that the mall management wanted the bank to move to the third floor to encourage more traffic through the mall, but they refused.

Kad Suan Kaew is almost dead now. There are also other banks in KSK, why just ask Bangkok Bank?

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

Kad Suan Kaew is almost dead now

No it is just resting.

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

There are also other banks in KSK, why just ask Bangkok Bank?

Oh boy Eric.  How about because they bring in ten times more customers than all the other banks combined?

• Like 1