Help Choose 2nd Hand Car / Small Truck

hhtown

Hi All,   

I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand 4x2 or 4x4 small Truck. 

I'm interested in Isuza, Toyota Hilux or any other popular brand.  

My budget is around 250k baht, what would you consider a good buy and what  Age / milage could i get for this budget. 

Car must be Fuel efficient & Low maintenance  & repair

What would you recommend on the following points

• 4x2 v 4x4 
  • Diesel v Petrol
  • Auotmatic v Manual 
  • Private v Showroom 

Anything to be especially wary off when buying a 2nd hand Truck ?

Appreciate all experienced and sensible comments 

23 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

For that money I would go private for either Isuzu or Toyota 2.5 diesel with service history and the lowest mileage one according to years old. 

Thanks. , I will start my search .  It does seem that 2nd hand trucks are expensive in Thailand 

31 minutes ago, hhtown said:

Thanks. , I will start my search .  It does seem that 2nd hand trucks are expensive in Thailand 

Due to the pandemic it makes the S/H pickup truck market the cheapest I've ever seen it. 

Don't be too scared of high mileage if it has service history, no service history is not a good sign.

Diesel engines are pretty bulletproof and terrorists are good proof of reliability. ????????

I'd go for a diesel auto. As Kwasaki said, Isuzu or Toyota. (Just about any garage is familiar with them).  There are various websites in Thailand where you can check prices of vehicles for sale. I don't have a list to hand but Bahtsold is one.

Bargains can sometimes be found from farang who are returning to their home country.

I would go for Toyota 4x2 unless you intend to go off road driving 4x4 is just more to go wrong and the extra weight. The reason I say Toyota is simply a lot more after sales parts are available. One thing I will say of Utmost Importance if whatever you buy has a timing 'Belt' (and not chain) and has over 100,000 klm on the clock fit a new belt whatever the seller tells you (unless there is prove of it being done) as it is sooo easy to turn off the warning light.  

• Like 1

hello,

On 8/27/2021 at 8:24 AM, brianthainess said:

One thing I will say of Utmost Importance if whatever you buy has a timing 'Belt' (and not chain) and has over 100,000 klm on the clock fit a new belt whatever the seller tells you (unless there is prove of it being done) as it is sooo easy to turn off the warning light.  

I can only second that by experience, bad experience as you can guess (one cam shaft of 2 and 6 valves of 16)

42 minutes ago, hhtown said:

Thanks all for your input, appreciated. My search starts as of now . 

Auto diesel (2wd if you are on regular roads). But Toyota and Isuzu at this prices are at least 10-15 years old or more, so the condition will be variable. But they will be easy to service and get parts for. 

3 hours ago, hhtown said:

Thanks for the Timming belt warning. 

I'm looking at Isuzu and Toyota 

. What's average price of servicings and annual insurance for these trucks 

Servicing at Cockpit not much more than 2000 baht usually less.

Not sure about a trucks age but my 4 year old Isuzu 1st class insurance with 10,000 baht voluntary payment if my fault including Govt CTPL insurance I  pay 850 baht over 10 months.