The Taliban's control of Afghanistan has the potential to encourage Indonesia's terror groups and recruit more people: Experts

85745120_afkamain.jpg.860770e2d628f4d4060f71879087dc57.jpg

Experts and officials have warned that news that the Taliban has fully seized control of Afghanistan might empower Islamic terrorists and conservatives 6,000 kilometres away in Indonesia, posing a huge security threat to the Southeast Asian country.

Several militant and conservative organisations have been cheering the Taliban takeover on social media and private online chat groups, according to Mr Muhammad

Taufiqurrohman, a senior researcher at the Jakarta-based security think tank Centre for Radicalism and Deradicalisation Studies.

“(The Taliban takeover) has given jihadists and Islamists in Indonesia a moral lift to continue their struggle to establish an Islamic government and enforce Sharia law in Indonesia,” he said during a Tuesday debate (Aug 26).

Some of these groups want Indonesia to accept strict Islamic rule, while others want to secede and build their own Islamic state.
Indonesia is a secular country with a moderate version of Islam practised by the majority of the population.

“Some people have expressed an interest in visiting Afghanistan.
They want to learn from the Taliban, including military (plans), and utilise the expertise they've gained to overthrow the Indonesian state, he said.

Mr Taufiqurrohman remarked that the administration should take these statements seriously.

“Jihadists in Indonesia openly declared allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) and stated their intention to join (the IS) in Syria when the Syrian war erupted.
We misjudged them and predicted that they would not travel to Syria.
When it was too late, we realised how serious they were,” he added.

Since 2014, more than 1,200 Indonesians have travelled to Iraq and Syria to join the Islamic State, according to the National Counter-Terrorism Agency (BNPT).
Many more attempted to do so, but were thwarted by Indonesian immigration officials before they could leave the country, or by Turkish police who prevented them from crossing Turkey's porous border with Syria.

Edited by ASEAN NOW Content Team

I, personally, don't think Taliban took over the control of the country against USA will. I believe, as USA knows well that Taliban still soke the power, they just allowed them that for some secret deals. Don't forget that Afganistan is close to Russia. Afganistan might become "an ally" against Russia, as before, or China...... I don't know, but certainly their takeover coudn't happen without USA's knowledge, will......

So to the actual subject, For Indonesian groups, there's no way that USA, or Australia for that matter would allow them to take over........

12 hours ago, Los Luver said:

I, personally, don't think Taliban took over the control of the country against USA will. I believe, as USA knows well that Taliban still soke the power, they just allowed them that for some secret deals. Don't forget that Afganistan is close to Russia. Afganistan might become "an ally" against Russia, as before, or China...... I don't know, but certainly their takeover coudn't happen without USA's knowledge, will......

So to the actual subject, For Indonesian groups, there's no way that USA, or Australia for that matter would allow them to take over........

Think you've been watching too many movies. The simplest answer is usually the right one... not the one about powerful cabals operating in the shadows. The US had already largely pulled out of Iraq (remember how Trump betrayed the Kurds during his term). Now it was Afghanistan's turn. These were unpopular places for the US military to be because, unlike in Germany and S Korea, there was active opposition to their presence. It was just a (dumb) political decision that will have long term negative ramifications, it's true, for Russia and China. But also the US. Nobody but the Taliban win in this... 

There is no unpopular places for the US military. US military were and still are (I think) in the poor desert country called Somalia. Whats the difference ? US military has interest in each inch on the earth. And the size of the interest might be huge or small, urgent or can wait...... And so was Afganistan and Irak....As in the African continent like Siera Leone, Congo.......