Interesting things in old Pattaya newspaper cuttings

thaibeachlovers

On 8/30/2021 at 7:05 AM, BigStar said:

Nov. 28, 1997. Barry Kenyon should be credited as the author. Another of his:

Why did my guidebook say they drive on the left here?

—Barry Kenyon, "Unanswered Questions About Pattaya", Pattaya Mail, July 4, 1997

And another of his, paraphrased, addresses a burning question:

QUESTION: Are there any truly “nice” girls in Pattaya?

ANSWER: YES! They convene once a year in the phone booth at South Pattaya and Pattaya 2 Roads.

Remember that phone booth?

A random crime report. You've wondered why Thailand became less farang friendly:

Kinky Massage Methods Gets [sic] German Deported

Police arrested a German man, Martin Heger, who had been forging diplomas from the Thai Institute of Traditional Medicine. . . . He also damaged Thai traditional medicine’s reputation by adding text to the forged certificates which certified that oral stimulation by the masseur to the sex organs was part of the Thai pharmacopoeia and resulted in “deep relaxation.” . . . He said the “oral-genital” relaxation massage was particularly popular in Hungary. . . . .

—Pattaya Mail, May 16, 1997

Whats that. popular if your hungry

On 8/28/2021 at 9:14 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Back in 1997, Pattaya go gos used to put out newsletters. I wonder if any still do?

Don't recall seeing many newsletters, but not too long ago some newer flyers would pop up around town and they would occasionally update their websites.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

There were a couple. Struggle to remember which ones now though.

I'm surprised. I think the first time I used internet was end of 1998, but I fail to recall what I did on it. I think it was just the thrill of the new. Obviously I didn't try and see if any Pattaya gogos had web sites.

I just realised that it's only taken just over 20 years to become the monster that everyone on the planet seems to use and depend on. IMO the jury is out on whether it's a good thing or not.

Edited by thaibeachlovers