Expat hopes dashed -  Brit retirees have to tighten purse strings again after baht strengthens

webfact

On 9/2/2021 at 2:08 PM, Scrotobike said:

The HiSos control the Bhat as they will exchange their US$ created by exports at a strategic time for them. Because the Bhat is not really a speculation currency, it is driven by these export US$ and also the movements of investment in Bhat securities.

Bhat securities are showing an out flow of Bhat, which is being mopped up by the HiSo lot. 

Currency economics - a black art.

Currency manipulation at its best. 

On 9/5/2021 at 3:28 PM, DefaultName said:

In the UK, there is an attitude among some social groups of not saving or paying into pensions for retirement.  The issue is that access to State benefits is restricted if you have savings or income, so they enjoy their money now, knowing that the State will keep them later.  You and I see this as wrong, they don't. 

Some able-bodied people retiring now have never worked.  I have an opinion on that one too.  ????

I will get a UK pension despite only working there for 5 years and not paying anything for over 20 years in Thailand. 

A few years ago, I paid back 10 years of contributions at once, about 66k baht. This was Class 2 contributions. I see on the forecast, I will get something like 780 GBP a month in 11 years. 

Should be more than enough added to my Thai pension, which I put all in bitcoin a year ago at $7,000(now $45,000). 

Sterling just cracked 45 again (TT rate, Bangkok Bank). I read a theory on another thread that there were attempts to shore up the weakening baht. This might explain sterlings increase, retreat, and fresh advance. Covid numbers, Afghanistan, and other rational explanations, might explain an advance or retreat, but this pattern of "advance, retreat, advance," seems artificially induced to me. I'm no financial guru though, the theory just has a sort of logic that appeals to my layman's sensibilities.