Claiming VAT back when leaving the country

RAZZELL

12 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

It's NOT correct! Did you read the links?

How many times do I have to post...THE RETAIL VAT SCHEME HAS ENDED IN THE UK.

You can no longer claim the VAT back in the UK and take items back in your luggage...only way to do it is to get the product shipped to your overseas address.

A few more links:

https://www.cityam.com/brexit-impact-heathrow-loses-legal-bid-over-end-of-tax-free-shopping-for-tourists/

https://news.sky.com/story/burberry-warns-on-uk-sales-impact-of-axing-vat-free-shopping-12193526

RAZZ

I read and agree just noting UK is not the entire world, e.g. in Belgium this regulation is not applied.

• Confused 1

On 9/2/2021 at 6:21 PM, RAZZELL said:

I am not sure that is strictly true.

When the UK had a VAT Retail Export Scheme, even a UK citizen was allowed to claim the VAT back if they could prove the goods were being exported for a certain period, from memory it was 18 months.

RAZZ

You have a Non O. According to RD you are tax resident of Thailand.

The answer to your question is NO.

You are Thai tax resident, you cannot claim VAT refund.

Your visa will be checked before they hand out refund, they will keep your original invoice too.

6 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

No, you don't. You obviously haven't read the thread. The Retail Export Scheme ended. I'm not even sure what the "vat free" shops in the Duty Free are charging now?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/duty-free-extended-to-the-eu-from-january-2021

VAT Retail Export Scheme

As part of these changes, VAT refunds for overseas visitors in British shops will be removed. Overseas visitors will still be able to buy items VAT-free in store and have them sent direct to their overseas addresses, while the costly system of claiming VAT refunds on items they take home in their luggage will be ended.

And by the way the companies that ran the scheme like Global Blue took an admin fee of around 3.5% so you never got back the full 20% - even at the airport it never seemed to be the full 20%!

RAZZ

They'll probably charge more than the 20% saving for postage and insurance, and then you have customs duties this end too!

3 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

I read and agree just noting UK is not the entire world, e.g. in Belgium this regulation is not applied.

I give up - Opening post I said "I will be flying back to the UK".

If I flew to Belgium, France, Germany etc I know I can get the VAT back!

RAZZ

Even Thai nationals can enjoy duty free purchases when leaving Thailand, so no, not for tourist only, King Power will even hold on to your goods airside until you return to save the excess baggage, it is then your responsibility to declare/clear customs upon returning