Phuket hospitals are nearing full capacity as new infections surge

webfact

On 9/6/2021 at 6:59 AM, Bkk Brian said:

241 new cases announced for today and 3 new deaths, day before there were 4 deaths so 7 covid deaths in 2 days for a small island population is not good.

Wonder how many put their heads through the front windscreen of their car in this same period. 

31 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I think this is very difficult at present for both children and parents - and not just difficult for Phuket - globally, where dependent on the region/country, school re-openings have already taken place, or in other places school re-openings have been delayed.  Children at home, means parents have to ensure they are looked after - which as am pretty certain means you know much better than myself, adds an additional layer of complexity wrt one's daytime work.

Difficult times.

In the condo complex where I live, almost exclusively foreigners renting, I do not know of any who have received two jabs.  Often the Thai spouse or Thai maid/nanny has received two jabs, but not the other (or both) falang parent(s), and as I noted, many are waiting until mid-September for their 2nd jab.

Thats where you live but not for all the parents and households of the majority of international schools for year 5 and below who are fully vaccinated and are currently attending in person education.

The governor raised the alarm two days ago.

Very dangerous for the average resident/tourist who may need emergency service in case of a car accident, heart attack,etc.

With the medics and beds running thin Its not an ideal time to go.

Another stick in the gut for Phuket

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Boosters are just now starting to be offered in Phuket, but typically to qualify (at present time) for a booster after having received two Sinovac jabs,in Phuket one needs to be over a certain age, or one needs to have preconditions to qualify for the booster jab.    I suspect as weeks go by this will open up to more ...

When it came to healthcare workers, age did not matter after getting 2 jabs of Sinovac. Most of them got Pfizer boosters. Should not be any different for regular people that got 2 jabs of Sinovac

1 minute ago, oldcpu said:

When it comes to front line health care workers, who are required to be exposed multiple times per day to people suspected and in cases required to be exposed to those known to be infected with the virus, I think medical workers should get priority for such booster jabs

They did get priority as they should and I agree with you but now its time for millions of other citizens to get the same booster.  My Brother- in- Law is one of the hundreds of thousand government workers that got 2 jabs of Sinovac. His bosses ignore him when he or fellow workers bring this subject up of boosters. 

13 minutes ago, club said:

They did get priority as they should and I agree with you but now its time for millions of other citizens to get the same booster.

I think every one who is not an anti-vaxer, and who is not opposed to mixing vaccines (if a different vaccine to be given as a booster) would agree with you that boosters should be given as soon as practical.

I do note thou, there are many people in Phuket (and elsewhere in Thailand) who have yet to receive any COVID vaccine jab, and these people may like to be vaccinated. 

In the case of Phuket, going by a 6-September government slide, while 424,462 people in Phuket had received at least 1-jab, only 378,628 had received 2 jabs.  Further, the new target of people in Phuket to be jabbed is 547,584.

So before the average person receives a booster, it would be useful to first give the 123,122 people (in the target # who have not recieved any jabs) two jabs, and also give the 45,834 who only received 1-jab their second job.   Also, the population of Phuket is likely closer to 600,000 to 650,000 people, so that suggests there are still more than the 547,584 not in the 'target' who also should be vaccinated before general boosters to everyone given.

Priority for vaccine and booster application is IMHO always a controversial topic.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I think every one who is not an anti-vaxer, and who is not opposed to mixing vaccines (if a different vaccine to be given as a booster) would agree with you that boosters should be given as soon as practical.

I do note thou, there are many people in Phuket (and elsewhere in Thailand) who have yet to receive any COVID vaccine jab, and these people may like to be vaccinated. 

In the case of Phuket, going by a 6-September government slide, while 424,462 people in Phuket had received at least 1-jab, only 378,628 had received 2 jabs.  Further, the new target of people in Phuket to be jabbed is 547,584.

So before the average person receives a booster, it would be useful to first give the 123,122 people (in the target # who have not recieved any jabs) two jabs, and also give the 45,834 who only received 1-jab their second job.   Also, the population of Phuket is likely closer to 600,000 to 650,000 people, so that suggests there are still more than the 547,584 not in the 'target' who also should be vaccinated before general boosters to everyone given.

Priority for vaccine and booster application is IMHO always a controversial topic.

Its a tough call, my brother-in-law and many like him are at the 6 month mark from second jab which means according to studies are losing 50% antibodies every 40 days. Not good. https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/study-shows-antibodies-drop-by-50-every-40-days-after-2-doses-of-sinovac

Edited by club
added more

2 minutes ago, club said:

Its a tough call, my brother-in-law and many like him are at the 6 month mark from second jab which means according to studies are losing 50% antibodies every 40 days. Not good. https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/study-shows-antibodies-drop-by-50-every-40-days-after-2-doses-of-sinovac

I am 64 and registered on 3 sites still waiting for first jab.