Western Union Send Limitations (Thailand)

I originally posted the following in the PHILIPPINE forum but no responses.  Perhaps better luck here.

I live in Thailand.  I have a "very good friend" in the Philippines who I have visited many times.  Good person.  She managed a phone shop in a mall and lost all income when Covid-19 caused the mall to be shut down so I've been helping her out, sending various amounts via WU from Thailand.

A few days ago when I was sending P10,000 for September, I was informed by the teller that I was "over the limit" for WU remittances to the PI.  I had never experienced this previously and asked what the limit was.  Neither she or even the bank manager could tell me what the limit was but they would only allow me to send a maximum P5000 and said I was suspended "temporarily" from further remittances. I was really surprised.  Is this somebody's idea of a way to protect innocent old expats from conniving Fillipina's?

(EDIT: Now a week later and Bangkok Bank still can not tell me what the policy and limit actually is.)

Does anybody know anything about this?  Any details would be welcome because talking to my bank is like talking to chickens.

I've never used anything other than WU: Thailand to PI.  Any good alternatives with a widespread pick-up network? Is MoneyGram comparable?  She resides in Dipilog City if that helps.  

Edited by dddave

That's odd western union says you can send 5,000 US there per day.Also they say can receive 100,000.php per transaction with a limit of 5,000 US a month.   Geez.... which is it ?  I personally use Moneygram but i have never sent money there

• Like 1

Seems their algorithm has detected suspicious activity and they have flagged and suspended you from sending money. They will never tell you the reason or why.

Alternative money transfer agents to the location you want to send to from Thailand.

Moneygram

RIA Money

Xpress Money

You will need to find on the internet the location in Thailand of branches for all the lesser know money transfer agents.

There is also Dee Money but they send to a bank account I think.

Edited by userabcd
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Thaitom and Userabcd.  I was able, after an hour of hold music torture, to talk to a WU CS rep who told me there is a 30 transaction per annum limit, not a monetary limit.  Seems odd and I am skeptical but that's what the man said.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I wasn't aware of RIA Money or Xpress Money.

My Ex used to send money home from Singapore using these guys https://www.cebuanalhuillier.com/ & Iremember seeing a lot of their shops when we were in the Philippines. 

A quick google brought back this article that says you can use DeeMoney to pay cash to them (or any other remittence center) so no problem if your friend doesn't have a bank account that you can send money to.

I believe you can set-up the Dee Money account online, but if you're in Bangkok they have a big office corner of Sukv Soi 8. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

My Ex used to send money home from Singapore using these guys https://www.cebuanalhuillier.com/ & Iremember seeing a lot of their shops when we were in the Philippines. 

A quick google brought back this article that says you can use DeeMoney to pay cash to them (or any other remittence center) so no problem if your friend doesn't have a bank account that you can send money to.

I believe you can set-up the Dee Money account online, but if you're in Bangkok they have a big office corner of Sukv Soi 8. 

Thanks.  I actually signed-up with the DeeMoney app this evening.  Since I'm in Jomtien, I have to wait for a rep. to call me tomorrow from Bangkok for confirmation.   Looks like a pretty good organization.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Emeraldisle said:

"Wise". Formerally know as "Transferwise" is the best that I have found to send money to Thailand. Don't know about the Philippines. Way better exchange rates than W.U. and lower fees

You need a receiving bank account # to use Wise.  You can't send cash to someone for pickup like WU.   Remitly is a cheaper alternative to WU that you can use to send cash for pickup.

Edited by shdmn