“Skip online learning” campaign launched Monday

snoop1130

I think it would be a good idea while school is out and little to none Online learning up here in 

our village in NE. 5 days a week take the children to the farm to work same hours and let them

see what could possibly be their jobs without an a education... 

19 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I doubt many Thais could identify Saloth Sar, Brother Number One or Pol Pot either. 

The ones I have spoken to know next to nothing about what went on across the border.

Hmm, that particular "hole" in Thai knowledge of modern regional history is possibly explained by the fact that certain currently influential groups within the "ruling class" made lots and lots of money in the later stages of the Khmer Rouges existence; various commodities of interest to one party and needed by another passing across the borders. Wouldn't really want that to be discussed too openly...

That said, even teaching in a school here I have gained little idea what they are taught - definitely "off limits" to the foreign staff! A bit of a shame, as modern history is one of my interests, and it's study is a very useful means of understanding the society one lives in!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Hmm, that particular "hole" in Thai knowledge of modern regional history is possibly explained by the fact that certain currently influential groups within the "ruling class" made lots and lots of money in the later stages of the Khmer Rouges existence; various commodities of interest to one party and needed by another passing across the borders. Wouldn't really want that to be discussed too openly...

That said, even teaching in a school here I have gained little idea what they are taught - definitely "off limits" to the foreign staff! A bit of a shame, as modern history is one of my interests, and it's study is a very useful means of understanding the society one lives in!

Remembering how the Khmer refugees were treated during their attempted exodus in the middle-late stages of the war.

Something else that isn't discussed in polite company, less any knowledge of such contemporary history.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 6:57 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Who is this ?? -

I would like to make the point that while it is shocking to a Westerner that Thai’s may not be able to identify Hitler, perhaps there History education was of subject matter closer to home. 

That said, how many Thai’s could identify the Character below? - not many would be my guess, so that throws my idea out of the window. 

Yes, the Thai education system is a shambles - these ‘Bad Students’ campaigners are doing the right thing by protesting for better education and education reform, they do need a better name though. 

Screenshot 2021-09-07 at 12.52.10.png

I asked my Thai and she did not know. Even worse neither do I ????

Who is it?