Indians Are Ruining Patong

logbags

Ignore them, walk around them... unfortunately we just have to put up with them. I can understand why some people fire-up, though...

Exactly - but I do not like having to change direction to walk around them. I usually just look straight ahead and walk on as I was.

I can understand the guy in Pattaya - he went that way twice every day for months and every day was the same so he started with the f word -they soon stopped bothering him - some others took it up too.

They just do not seem as pushy in Bangkok as other places though be they Thai, Indian or whatever.

I find that smiling and 'mai ao, krup' - or 'no thanks' if more appropriate - works fine.

I've only once been grabbed hold of, and I dissuaded the guy quickly and firmly.

I can't get excited over it.

I dont know why people are bitching about them being referred to as Indians because ethnically that's exactly what they are whether they're from India, Pakistan or Bangladesh.

Until 60 years ago these 3 countries were all known as India and they go back thousands of years being known as India. The cradle of Indian civilisation was in what is now Pakistan - the Indus valley civilisation.

And some people from Nepal look Indian because ethnically that's exactly what they are. Nepal was a part of various Indian empires during which time many Indians settled there. Same thing with Sri Lanka.

Maybe we should use the Thai term for them 'Kaek'

This word can sometimes be slightly derogatory but then of course so can 'Farang' and people are quite happy to use that.

And for the record I find a lot of them to be hugely annoying when they stand in your way and try to shake your hand whilst trying to talk like a Cockney. I'm a born n bred East Londoner and I dont appreciate this from these idiots at all. In the UK if a White person imitates an Indian accent it's now viewed as racist but then it seems what is viewed as racism is very selective.

I dont know why people are bitching about them being referred to as Indians because ethnically that's exactly what they are whether they're from India, Pakistan or Bangladesh.

Until 60 years ago these 3 countries were all known as India and they go back thousands of years being known as India. The cradle of Indian civilisation was in what is now Pakistan - the Indus valley civilisation.

And some people from Nepal look Indian because ethnically that's exactly what they are. Nepal was a part of various Indian empires during which time many Indians settled there. Same thing with Sri Lanka.

Maybe we should use the Thai term for them 'Kaek'

This word can sometimes be slightly derogatory but then of course so can 'Farang' and people are quite happy to use that.

And for the record I find a lot of them to be hugely annoying when they stand in your way and try to shake your hand whilst trying to talk like a Cockney. I'm a born n bred East Londoner and I dont appreciate this from these idiots at all. In the UK if a White person imitates an Indian accent it's now viewed as racist but then it seems what is viewed as racism is very selective.

Indian is a nationality .... a Pakistani is NOT an Idian :o and a Sihk with Thai nationality is not an Indian either :D

Indian is a nationality .... a Pakistani is NOT an Idian :o and a Sihk with Thai nationality is not an Indian either :D

German is also a nationality, but that does not mean that Austrians, the majority of people in Switzerland and people from Liechtenstein are not ethnically German.

So if a Sikh with Thai nationality is not Indian then what about a Sikh with British nationality or a Hindu with British nationality. My Brothers GF is Hindu whose family originate from Gujarat but all hold British passports, they describe themselves as Indian and have even told my Brothers GF's daughter who is half English that she is Indian.

If being labeled as Indian is such a problem for Pakistanis and Bangladeshis then why is it that 80% of "INDIAN RESTAURANTS" in the UK are owned and staffed by them.

I can sympathise with Indians & Pakastanis. I'm a Scot and I'm quite happy to be called a Brit, but I am very unhappy to be called an Englishman. Similarily Aussie don't like being called Kiwis & vice versa, same with US citizens and Canadians. Indians for sure don't want to be called Pakastani, and Pakastanis don't want to be called Indians.

Really don't know where this thread is going, help mods where are you...

German is also a nationality, but that does not mean that Austrians, the majority of people in Switzerland and people from Liechtenstein are not ethnically German.

So if a Sikh with Thai nationality is not Indian then what about a Sikh with British nationality or a Hindu with British nationality. My Brothers GF is Hindu whose family originate from Gujarat but all hold British passports, they describe themselves as Indian and have even told my Brothers GF's daughter who is half English that she is Indian.

If being labeled as Indian is such a problem for Pakistanis and Bangladeshis then why is it that 80% of "INDIAN RESTAURANTS" in the UK are owned and staffed by them.

I assume you really don't need any of those questions answered :D You just cannot be that daft!

OK ... from your response I guess you DO need the answers

German is also a nationality, but that does not mean that Austrians, the majority of people in Switzerland and people from Liechtenstein are not ethnically German. Calling them Germans would not fly with them or the germans ....

So if a Sikh with Thai nationality is not Indian then what about a Sikh with British nationality or a Hindu with British nationality. They'd be British :D If they happened to originate from South Asia they's be British of South Asian descent My Brothers GF is Hindu whose family originate from Gujarat but all hold British passports, they describe themselves as Indian and have even told my Brothers GF's daughter who is half English that<states?> she is Indian. Good for them!

If being labeled as Indian is such a problem for Pakistanis and Bangladeshis then why is it that 80% of "INDIAN RESTAURANTS" in the UK are owned and staffed by them. calls to question .... how do you know their nationality at birth? .... but the simple answer ... is that they are selling "Indian Cuisine"

I was born in the USA ... so were my parents .... so were theirs ... our cultural heritage is Scots/Irish but we are not British :D our race would be caucasian :D (not British or even Scots/Irish)

Cheers :bah: hope this helps you out !

edit for tags

Edited by jdinasia

OK ... from your response I guess you DO need the answers

German is also a nationality, but that does not mean that Austrians, the majority of people in Switzerland and people from Liechtenstein are not ethnically German. Calling them Germans would not fly with them or the germans ....

So if a Sikh with Thai nationality is not Indian then what about a Sikh with British nationality or a Hindu with British nationality. They'd be British :D If they happened to originate from South Asia they's be British of South Asian descent My Brothers GF is Hindu whose family originate from Gujarat but all hold British passports, they describe themselves as Indian and have even told my Brothers GF's daughter who is half English that<states?> she is Indian. Good for them!

If being labeled as Indian is such a problem for Pakistanis and Bangladeshis then why is it that 80% of "INDIAN RESTAURANTS" in the UK are owned and staffed by them. calls to question .... how do you know their nationality at birth? .... but the simple answer ... is that they are selling "Indian Cuisine"

I was born in the USA ... so were my parents .... so were theirs ... our cultural heritage is Scots/Irish but we are not British :D our race would be caucasian :D (not British or even Scots/Irish)

Cheers :bah: hope this helps you out !

edit for tags

So why is it then that so many Americans claim to be Irish or Irish American, they dont call themselves Caucasian American now do they.

So ethnically you would be British being as your family originates from the British Isles :bah:

Someone born in the UK of Indian descent is ethnically Indian the same as someone born in Thailand of Indian descent is ethnically Indian.

Seems you are missing either deliberately or because your rather daft yourself that I am talking about ethnicity and not nationality which are 2 very separate things.

The Duke of Wellington summed this up rather well when accused of being Irish and answering that just because a man is born in a stable it does not make him a horse :o

PS, I'll pass onto my Brothers GF's family that they're not allowed to call themselves Indian because some American of Scots/Irish descent on a internet forum said so.

Edited by keebone

I agree! Indians are ruining Patong! Along with the Americans, British, Russians, Australians, and not to mention the Thais! lol! Get em all out! LOL! Just kidding, mind you never been patong, not sure I want to go, any good bars there? :o

i think this has just about run its course. cant you guys have a debate without name calling? :D

back on topic please or its :o

:D

imho this ran its course with the first post :D

I have not read all the posts here, but as this is my first full day in Patong, I have to say that the number of Indians, Nepalis and/or Burmese hawkers is off-putting to say the least. They are agressive and ill mannered.

My question is this: As a legal farang in Thailand, I have to abide by the rules and laws of the country. What sort of visas to these farang have that enable them to sell illegal products (watches, bags, DVD, computer games, etc)?

Is there a work permit allowing for the sale and distribution of pirated goods?

Seems to me there is life in this old dog yet!

I guess that the sheer numbers slipping in is able to replenish any dealt with by the police. I guess it's hard to tell new from old faces as they look similar and you are busy trying to ignore them anyway.

Interesting to see that this thread has not turned into another one of those "Phuket is not Patong" threads.

Ref the Indians, you would be surprised how many of these are actually Thais, complete with Thai nationality and Thai id card. I personally know quite a few Thai Indians in Phuket.