Airport Enforcing Onward Ticket Rule

I wonder how this will affect those who plan on travelling overland to another country.

For example, alot of people fly in to Bangkok and overland it to Singapore and fly out of there. Would the ticket out of Singapore be sufficient?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how this will affect those who plan on travelling overland to another country.

For example, alot of people fly in to Bangkok and overland it to Singapore and fly out of there. Would the ticket out of Singapore be sufficient?

For a 30 day stamp without a visa the rule states an air ticket out of country within 30 days of arrival.

At land borders we have seen reports of train/bus tickets being accepted

If planning an exit through land borders I would suggest making the effort of obtaining a tourist visa

Edited by Krub

It has been reported in another forum that all immigration booths at Bangkok airport have a pink paper saying 'present passport, lading form and onward ticket'

Anybody can confirm this ?

I travel into BKK every Friday and out every Sunday for the last nine months.

Last Friday it seemed to be mandatory that you showed an outbound ticket and this was the case for everyone I could see approach an immigration booth. If you did not have the ticket (ie you use e-ticket and dont print it out) then I heard one man who was advised by the immigration officials to return to the airside and print it out from the internet computers ....... for the time I was in in the queue he was not admitted. The next thing I noticed was a chap whose ticket was for an outbound date 60 days after arriving was having a major problem with the immigration officials but I am not sure if it was because it exceeded the 30 days visa validity or because he would go over the ninety days....... he did not get admitted during my period of waiting in the queues and baggage collection time

It was also confirmed that the second six months starts on your first visit after the first six months has expired ie if you first arrived on October 11th then your first six months expired on April 10th and if you then next travelled to any port of entry in Thailand on 22nd April then your second six months starts on that date.

hope this helps ..........

Just to clarify, I don't think they are asking to see return/onward tickets for people who have visas. Myself and my companion have tourist visas and were not asked to show them.

Edited by tropo

Wow, so it's already started. I guess I got lucky when I came in, or I snuck in before they started to fully implement the new policy. This will be a pain in the buttt for me always having to plan the 2nd trip in advance, but such is life.

Moderators I think this is really important. Should someone start a thread highlighting this change in the implememntation of the 30 day visa exemption rule at the airport? I think all visitors to Thailand/members of this forum should really be well aware of this important change.

Edited by vermin on arrival

Isn't that the subject of the thread we are posting in?

Lopburi,

My only concern was that it doesn't seem emphasized enough. The heading is a question asking whether the rule was being enforced. It now seems clear that it is, so I was thinking that maybe a thread with the heading that the onward ticket rule was now being enforced at the airport might be helpful and emphasize this change more clearly for forum users. Or maybe, a slight change to this thread's header would be helpful so that the news wouldn't slip the attention of any forum readers.

I'm only suggesting this because I think this news is really important for people entering the kingdom, and some people coming in over the next couple of weeks might get zapped. I left at the beginning of May and came back at the end of the month and the change had already started to happen. I would have had a real problem if they had started enforcing this rule on my return date.

Just to confirm what one member has already mentioned. All the Immigration entry booths have a new Yellow A4 sheet posted prominently stating the following requirements for entry:

1. Passport

2. Arrival/Departure card

3. Boarding pass

4. Return ticket/e-ticket

I would hazard a guess and say that requirement 4 only pertains to entries without visa. Both my Filipino companion and I had tourist visas and were not asked to show return tickets. We entered on June 1.

What nationality are you, where did you come from and are you talking about BKK airport? I came through 4th June and saw none of what you say. Only items 1-3 in your list were asked for and posted on a sign at the immigration check in. I was arriving on a 30 day visa exempt entry on an Air Asia flight with a UK pp with no onward ticket? So IMHO this whole thread has unnecessarily created a wrong warning signal. As far as I saw the situation at BKK airport is completely unchanged. The immigration staff were all very efficient and helpful. Luckily I didn't waste money beforehand buying an unnecessary onward ticket, as I am not sure where I get to fly to next - depends on where my overseas company will send me? One should take what one reads on these forums with a pinch of salt it seems?

Just to confirm what one member has already mentioned. All the Immigration entry booths have a new Yellow A4 sheet posted prominently stating the following requirements for entry:

1. Passport

3. Boarding pass

I would hazard a guess and say that requirement 4 only pertains to entries without visa. Both my Filipino companion and I had tourist visas and were not asked to show return tickets. We entered on June 1.

What nationality are you, where did you come from and are you talking about BKK airport? I came through 4th June and saw none of what you say. Only items 1-3 in your list were asked for and posted on a sign at the immigration check in. I was arriving on a 30 day visa exempt entry on an Air Asia flight with a UK pp with no onward ticket? So IMHO this whole thread has unnecessarily created a wrong warning signal. As far as I saw the situation at BKK airport is completely unchanged. The immigration staff were all very efficient and helpful. Luckily I didn't waste money beforehand buying an unnecessary onward ticket, as I am not sure where I get to fly to next - depends on where my overseas company will send me? One should take what one reads on these forums with a pinch of salt it seems?

Interesting that you were not asked. I came in on the 31st on a US Passport on the 30 day visa exempt and also was not asked. Meowma stated that he saw it being enforced last Friday for everyone he saw going through. Cosmont also confirms he saw it being asked for when he arrived on the 2nd.

Maybe they are selctively enforcing the rule based on nationality or on the flights that come in, or based on the orders of their superiors. However, in the future, I will make sure that I have an outbound ticket. People should know that it is being enforced for some and then make their own decisions on whether they want to risk it. I'm not sure if it is what is said in the forum which should be taken with a pinch of salt or what thai immigration says or does.

I have a Non (o) and have never been asked for an onward ticket. I work offshore and my company just books the ticket (always one way) so what I did was make a letter on company headed paper stating that the company will be responsible for booking the onward ticket. Just in case.

The onward ticket and valid travel documents are for entry without visa and has always been required but seldom checked (it was for selected flights). But airlines often checked and required the tickets before allowing boarding of flights here. It now appears the checks may be done by immigration on a more frequent basis which will make airlines even more concerned about pax without visa/tickets.

As a side note, I left Los Angeles on a one way ticket to BKK after my last job and the woman at check in asked me why I was going to Thailand on a one way ticket, to which I obviously replied "I live there" she then asked for proof or in her words "something with Bangkok written on it".

I directed the dizzy bird to my Thai visa and that was OK.

First time in over 20 years of travelling I have ever been questioned regarding my destination.

which will make airlines even more concerned about pax without visa/tickets.

Agreed. I checked with Air Asia before boarding this recent flight to BKK if an onward ticket was needed with no visa in a UK pp, and they said it wouldn't be a problem and let me on. Maybe different for Indonesians on the same flight though. There certainly are not any signs in BKK airport listing this as a requirement. No pink paper signs seen mentioned in earlier posts on this thread.

There certainly are not any signs in BKK airport listing this as a requirement. No pink paper signs seen mentioned in earlier posts on this thread.

They were definately there at 4.30am on the 2nd, they are (were?) stuck to the glass behind the immgration official, pink, listing 4 items as previously detailed.

Interestingly, the big signs detailing the 90 day / 6 month rules seem to have gone.

Can't comment on the onward ticket requirement as I have a visa :o

They were definately there at 4.30am on the 2nd, they are (were?) stuck to the glass behind the immgration official, pink, listing 4 items as previously detailed.

Interestingly, the big signs detailing the 90 day / 6 month rules seem to have gone.

Perhaps the immigration at BKK airport are putting up signs and pulling them down daily just to confuse us ? :-)

I came through on 4th June and there were no 4 items lists (just 3 items pp, imm card & boarding card) and I did see the 90 day / 6 month rules signs clearly! The complete opposite of above posters observations!

1. Passport

3. Boarding pass

Interesting that you were not asked. I came in on the 31st on a US Passport on the 30 day visa exempt and also was not asked. Meowma stated that he saw it being enforced last Friday for everyone he saw going through. Cosmont also confirms he saw it being asked for when he arrived on the 2nd.

Maybe they are selctively enforcing the rule based on nationality or on the flights that come in, or based on the orders of their superiors. However, in the future, I will make sure that I have an outbound ticket. People should know that it is being enforced for some and then make their own decisions on whether they want to risk it. I'm not sure if it is what is said in the forum which should be taken with a pinch of salt or what thai immigration says or does.

Take the whole lot with a pinch of salt if you wish.

I thought it was fairly obvious that we entered at BKK (Suvarnabhumi) Airport.

As reported, these yellow A4 sheets were all over the place on June 1....behind the booths and on the the desk tops.

I travel on an Australian passport, but if you read my reply you'll notice that my partner and I were not asked for return tickets as we both had tourist visas.

Personally whenever I come to Thailand without a visa I carry an onward ticket. It's always been a requirement despite their not always enforcing it, and I just don't want to take the chance of being refused either at the airline check-in, or at immigration in Thailand.

Go ahead and travel without onward tickets at your own risk and continue to take all you read here with a "pinch of salt".

Edited by tropo

Perhaps the immigration at BKK airport are putting up signs and pulling them down daily just to confuse us ? :-)

I came through on 4th June and there were no 4 items lists (just 3 items pp, imm card & boarding card) and I did see the 90 day / 6 month rules signs clearly! The complete opposite of above posters observations!

DB,

I came in on the 31st and there were signs on every counter requesting an onward ticket as the 4th thing on the list. It's strange that you did not see this. Maybe a person who has come through the airport more recently can post and let us know if they saw the signs requesting onward tickets and if any people who were entering on the 30 day visa exempt status, for whom this rule is an issue, were asked to show an onward or e-ticket.

Tropo,

I'm in complete agreeement with you on this one and won't come through the airport without an onward ticket again. Even if they are selectively enforcing this rule, I don't want to be coming through without one when they are selctively enforcing it.

DB,

I came in on the 31st and there were signs on every counter requesting an onward ticket as the 4th thing on the list. It's strange that you did not see this. Maybe a person who has come through the airport more recently can post and let us know if they saw the signs requesting onward tickets and if any people who were entering on the 30 day visa exempt status, for whom this rule is an issue, were asked to show an onward or e-ticket.

Tropo,

I'm in complete agreeement with you on this one and won't come through the airport without an onward ticket again. Even if they are selectively enforcing this rule, I don't want to be coming through without one when they are selctively enforcing it.

It seems at least yesterday on June 5 they were asking for the onward ticket according to this thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=124106

They've always had signs saying to present your passport and boarding pass for the flight you just disembarked. The sign might say to show onward ticket or not. Anyway, I've never been asked for my boarding pass despite the sign. As for onward ticket, you should have to show it if you come with no visa.

I have never ever in 60+ times landing in Thailand been asked to show a onward ticket.

My last time was last week unless they have started it since then

Edited by Prakanong

1. Passport

3. Boarding pass

Take the whole lot with a pinch of salt if you wish.

I thought it was fairly obvious that we entered at BKK (Suvarnabhumi) Airport.

As reported, these yellow A4 sheets were all over the place on June 1....behind the booths and on the the desk tops.

I travel on an Australian passport, but if you read my reply you'll notice that my partner and I were not asked for return tickets as we both had tourist visas.

Personally whenever I come to Thailand without a visa I carry an onward ticket. It's always been a requirement despite their not always enforcing it, and I just don't want to take the chance of being refused either at the airline check-in, or at immigration in Thailand.

Go ahead and travel without onward tickets at your own risk and continue to take all you read here with a "pinch of salt".

I have always had an onward ticket except when I was working in Thailand but never asked for it. I personally have never been asked by an airline but I know some who have.

They've always had signs saying to present your passport and boarding pass for the flight you just disembarked. The sign might say to show onward ticket or not. Anyway, I've never been asked for my boarding pass despite the sign. As for onward ticket, you should have to show it if you come with no visa.

I have never ever in 60+ times landing in Thailand been asked to show a onward ticket.

My last time was last week unless they have started it since then

Apparently they have. The signs were up stating an onward ticket was a requirement for entrance when I came in on the 31st, and there are people confirming that they saw some people being asked for it starting last Friday. I also have not been asked for one yet and have come through BKK airport countless times in the past 10 years, but will not risk traveling without one again.

Here`s what it says on top of my e-ticket from Emirates that I just booked last week. It`s also been on the top of my last few e-tickets.

You may need to show this receipt to enter the airport and/or to prove return or onward travel to customs and immigration officials.

Isn`t it because you may get turned away from entering LOS if you don`t have a visa accompanied by an onward ticket that you are, or in my experience were, more likely to be asked about your visa when you are at your departure airport on the way to here. And if you don`t have one, but they let you go anyway, they are responsible for repatriating the said passenger.

Hope this hasn`t been said already.

I have always had an onward ticket except when I was working in Thailand but never asked for it. I personally have never been asked by an airline but I know some who have.

Many people have seen the yellow A4 sheets over the last week, some didn't see them, but forget what has happened in the past.

I will be coming into BKK again tomorrow night on the same flight as always Cathay Pacific from Hong Kong. I do not have any visa and will get a 30 day stamp on arrival.

I will look out again for the requirement of an onward ticket at arrival and report back to the forum. I will come in with several friends and will ask each to go to separate immigration booths to see if the policy is enforced selectively or is generally enforced.

I stress that I did not see any signs requiring an onward ticket but was asked to show one at the immigration desk at the time of getting the 30 day stamp in the passport.

I do not know whether the other individuals I saw on last Friday night had any type of visas, tried to enter as a visitor or what but the fact is that the immigration are enforcing a policy of wanting to see an onward flight in my case.

It is certain that from my passport the immigration can see that I come in every Friday and leave every Sunday but they still were insistent on the outbound ticket .....

I will return .............

Meaowma

Ok the signs are up as follows:

One yellow sign that requires “outbound ticket” is posted on the background window of each set of two immigration booths, on A4 size paper and clearly visible to anyone queuing up. (see photos)

The second sign is on the counter of each immigration booth and requires the same things.

These signs were on every booth I could see (about 20 or so).

Of the five of us only two were asked to show a ticket and had it examined or looked at the others merely had to wave the ticket in the air – the important thing was everyone was asked to show something. We all hold British passports and use the 30 day chop in the passport at the airport ass the means to enter the kingdom.

This was generally the case for the people queuing.

As usual I get pulled away to count the days in my passport and while at the desk I took the opportunity to chat with the supervisor.

He revealed that the signs are there to allow the immigration to “selectively” require an onward ticket if they suspected that the person trying to enter the kingdom may overstay. It would soon become mandatory for all “tourists/visitors” to show an onward ticket. He stressed “tourists/visitors” – I did not ask about those with valid visas in their passports.

He said the immigration would require all “tourists/visitors” to show an actual air ticket or e-ticket and not a reservation and that it must be an air ticket so bus ticket or train ticket would not be good enough (?????). If they did not possess the required document then entry could be refused on a case by case basis.

He said the ticket would need to be with a validity to suit the immigration rules so a “one year ticket or open” may be rejected

While in the queue it seems that most people were asked to show a ticket of some kind and in only a few cases was it inspected – usually just to wave something in front of the counter seemed to be OK.

I will come back again on Friday so if the situation changes I will keep you posted – my advice though is to bring along an outbound ticket as it seems that the requirement may soon be applied more vigorously.

post-35152-1181530025_thumb.jpg

post-35152-1181530037_thumb.jpg

post-35152-1181530048_thumb.jpg

I did a visa run to Phnom Penh on Saturday 9th June, (since my B visa was expiring and I still had to wait a few weeks for paperwork for an ED visa).

Having read this thread beforehand, I was concerned that with a VOA, I would need to show an onward ticket.

When I arrived back at the airport on Saturday evening, I could see no signs requiring an onward ticket! Only the sign requesting that you show your boarding pass, passport and completed immigration form.

The nice lady who scrutinised my passport did not ask for an onward ticket and was very confused as to why I had 5 previous B visas and was now coming in as a 'tourist'. But she happily stamped me in for 30 days without any problems.

Simon

Meaowma,

Thanks so much for the comprehensive report. It seems clear that although things are currently being selectively enforced, it will soon be mandatory for all people entering on the 30 day visa exempt stamp to have an onward ticket no matter what passport they are carrying. I, for one, will not come in without one again. Please continue to update us on the situation since you come and go so frequently.

Simon,

I'm suprised that you didn't see the signs stating that they required an onward ticket. Is it possible that you missed the 4th thing on the sign? It would be strange for them to have two sets of signs up at different locations in the airport. Certainly it shouldn't be a concern for you anyway as they primarily are concerned with people using the 30 day visa exempt stamp.