Phuket Immigration, residence cert for Thai driving licence

PST

Went to Immigration to get cert for Thai license, lady said you only need 1 cert now, instead of two, and can just photocopy it. She also said i have to go back tommorow to collect it as her 'boss' wasnt there to sign it off. Is this new procedure, i always normally get it on the same day, not long after you hand in the paperwork?

TIA

PST

Both things sound unusual to me.  First time I've heard of not receiving a Residence Certificate while you wait, but her explanation makes sense as they do need to be signed off by a senior officer.  The second one is great if it's true.  Not sure someone working at immigration knows what will or will not be accepted by the Land Transport Office, but worth giving it a try.  If true she saved you 50%.  If not true, the LTO is not far from Immigration.

If you have a yellow house registration book I've heard reports that they now accept that in lieu of a Residence Certificate.  This is a reversal of longstanding policy, if true.

6 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Yep, the yellow book trumps the residence letter.

I am doing my license renewal next month. Do u need a medical certicate as well, can't remember.

I was never able to get LTO to accept a yellow book as proof of address, but I've heard that has changed and they will now accept it (as other provinces have done for years).

I didn't need a medical certificate to go from a 5-year driver's license to another 5-year one.  I think you need a medical certificate to get your first 2-year probationary license and then to go from the 2-year license to your first 5-year license.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Both things sound unusual to me.  First time I've heard of not receiving a Residence Certificate while you wait, but her explanation makes sense as they do need to be signed off by a senior officer.  The second one is great if it's true.  Not sure someone working at immigration knows what will or will not be accepted by the Land Transport Office, but worth giving it a try.  If true she saved you 50%.  If not true, the LTO is not far from Immigration.

If you have a yellow house registration book I've heard reports that they now accept that in lieu of a Residence Certificate.  This is a reversal of longstanding policy, if true.

Thanks for the reply. My wife had previously rang the LTO before i went, and they said the same thing that i only needed one copy of the certificate, and two photocopies (one for bike, one for car).

The girl also on desk 6 in room 105 whom i saw said something about new regulations, but didn't quite hear exactly what she said, she also said her boss would need to check my visa status (extension based on marriage), i presume this is for people on covid extensions etc not being granted the certificate?

I did go late' ish 3.30pm, and the LTO onnly re-opened a few days ago.

Edited by PST
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PST said:

Thanks for the reply. My wife had previously rang the LTO before i went, and they said the same thing that i only needed one copy of the certificate, and two photocopies (one for bike, one for car), i was unaware of this until after.

The girl also on desk 6 in room 105 whom i saw said something about new regulations, but didn't quite hear exactly what she said, she also said her boss would need to check my visa status (extension based on marriage), i presume this is for people on covid extensions etc not being granted the certificate?

I did go late' ish 3.30pm, and the LTO onnly re-opened a few days ago.

2 minutes ago, PST said:

Thanks for the reply. My wife had previously rang the LTO before i went, and they said the same thing that i only needed one copy of the certificate, and two photocopies (one for bike, one for car).

Well, that's good news, it's a sensible policy.  One original and a copy should suffice, it always struck me as a bit silly to need two originals when you are applying for motorcycle and car at the same time and the original can be checked.

I guess they routinely check you are not on overstay, up-to-date on your 90-Day Reporting, have a proper address registration via TM-30, etc.  I'm not sure if Phuket is one of the immigration offices that only does Residence Certificates for applicants that do 90-Day Reporting (have permission to stay 90 days or over).  Some immigration offices are like that (Bangkok, for instance) just not sure about Phuket.

Just now, skatewash said:

Well, that's good news, it's a sensible policy.  One original and a copy should suffice, it always struck me as a bit silly to need two originals when you are applying for motorcycle and car at the same time and the original can be checked.

I guess they routinely check you are not on overstay, up-to-date on your 90-Day Reporting, have a proper address registration via TM-30, etc.  I'm not sure if Phuket is one of the immigration offices that only does Residence Certificates for applicants that do 90-Day Reporting (have permission to stay 90 days or over).  Some immigration offices are like that (Bangkok, for instance) just not sure about Phuket.

My 90 day report is up to date, but oddly enough that is not one of the documents you are needed to copy. An up to date TM30 yes, but not a most recent 90 day report.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

If they ask for a "fee" for issuing the certificate, don't forget to ask for a receipt. It should be free...

Do they always waive the 'fee' if you stand your ground and explain that there should be no charge?

So my feedback in Phuket offices:

-- 2 years ago immigration office insisted I need 2 x certificates for car and bike , 2 x 300b , but the land office said only one is needed with a copy, I kept one in case needed somewhere else...(it's valid for 1 month)

-- No standing ground etc in Phuket , as far as I know , 300b needed , or no certificate, no receipts given to me ever over the years...! (it's a tip, tea money , call it what you like).

-- Health certificate was needed for 2 years to 5 years license renewal, no idea about 5 to 5 years...

-- Some years ago (maybe 5 or 6) I got CoR when I was on single entry tourist visa (not visa waiver entry though) , I used that to open a bank account after trying 3 or 4 branches which refused me and finally one accepted...

-- For CoR they check on computer if you have registered your address correctly, via TM-30, or nowadays my landlady does it online for me - well, she gives me her phone and I do it ..lol ! (she's registered with them).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Agusts said:

So my feedback in Phuket offices:

-- 2 years ago immigration office insisted I need 2 x certificates for car and bike , 2 x 300b , but the land office said only one is needed with a copy, I kept one in case needed somewhere else...(it's valid for 1 month)

-- No standing ground etc in Phuket , as far as I know , 300b needed , or no certificate, no receipts given to me ever over the years...! (it's a tip, tea money , call it what you like).

-- Health certificate was needed for 2 years to 5 years license renewal, no idea about 5 to 5 years...

-- Some years ago (maybe 5 or 6) I got CoR when I was on single entry tourist visa (not visa waiver entry though) , I used that to open a bank account after trying 3 or 4 branches which refused me and finally one accepted...

-- For CoR they check on computer if you have registered your address correctly, via TM-30, or nowadays my landlady does it online for me - well, she gives me her phone and I do it ..lol ! (she's registered with them).

Thanks, i'm not concerned too much about paying, but if i don't have to then i guess there's no harm in trying if the rule is it's free!.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, skatewash said:

I was never able to get LTO to accept a yellow book as proof of address, but I've heard that has changed and they will now accept it (as other provinces have done for years).

I didn't need a medical certificate to go from a 5-year driver's license to another 5-year one.  I think you need a medical certificate to get your first 2-year probationary license and then to go from the 2-year license to your first 5-year license.

did my 5 year ( well 6) in June, needed medical , this was my 4th 5 year license>
100  baht

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

'(it's a tip, tea money , call it what you like).' 

I would just call it for what it is,  systematic corruption

ive just returned from Patong Immigration to get it, as i wont be able to make it back to Phuket town this afternoon as told to do. In and out in 20 mins, excellent service, and no 'tea money' even mentioned. Do i need to contact Phuket town immigration to tell them i wont be coming back, or will they just bin it if i dont turn up, as i don't appear to need 2 certs now, and they would both be from different offices.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PST said:

ive just returned from Patong Immigration to get it, as i wont be able to make it back to Phuket town this afternoon as told to do. In and out in 20 mins, excellent service, and no 'tea money' even mentioned. Do i need to contact Phuket town immigration to tell them i wont be coming back, or will they just bin it if i dont turn up, as i don't appear to need 2 certs now, and they would both be from different offices.

No need to inform Phuket Town Immigration, they'll figure it out. ????

It does seem like you should only need one original residence certificate and a copy if you are doing both car and motorcycle licenses at the Land Transport Office.

If you have a yellow house registration book you don't even need a certificate of residence.

• Like 1

I got my residence certificate at new BlueTree immigration, simple, quick and free.

my problem has been getting my first time license, ( been trying for over 12 months) they keep on telling me couldn’t get because of office closed for Covid, now my Canadian license has expired and now have to wait until office opens in order to go through the whole day of training despite been driving for 50 years???? Anybody know a way around this crazy whole day session?

21 hours ago, skatewash said:

She saved you 50% ?

These certificates are supposed to be free of charge , in the 20 years I have lived in Phuket I have never once been charged for a COR. 

If they do try and charge you then just ask for an official recept and then you will immediately not be charged.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Uroller said:

I got my residence certificate at new BlueTree immigration, simple, quick and free.

my problem has been getting my first time license, ( been trying for over 12 months) they keep on telling me couldn’t get because of office closed for Covid, now my Canadian license has expired and now have to wait until office opens in order to go through the whole day of training despite been driving for 50 years???? Anybody know a way around this crazy whole day session?

the office has  been open off and on this entire last year with many posting ( me 1 of them ) we renewed our licenses.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 5:06 PM, skatewash said:

Not sure someone working at immigration knows what will or will not be accepted by the Land Transport Office, but worth giving it a try.  If true she saved you 50%.

Saved 50% off what? they are FREE !.  TRAT: As with the LTO i agree, one time they refused point blank to accept my Yellow Book, they produced a set of rules, which looked 20yrs old, i was patiently explaining they were wrong, they even spoke to the Amphur office boss who issued my Y book (friend of the missus), "NO must have CoR !" off i went to Immigration (30min drive) told them of my plight, with only 2hr left before LTO closed, Even they rang the woman at LTO and told her she was wrong "NO i want one" They gave me a free CoR in 15min. edit; just to say i no longer use the same LTO as the one outside of the city on phoning them, told me Yellow book OK.

Edited by brianthainess
add info.

On 9/8/2021 at 5:12 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

Yep, the yellow book trumps the residence letter.

I am doing my license renewal next month. Do u need a medical certicate as well, can't remember.

If it is your first 5 yr licence then yes Med cert needed, after that not needed.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Uroller said:

Go to a driving school like Chotima. They fix it smooth and easy for you for a small fee.

I was also at Patong Immigration today for a Certificate of Residence. The "boss" at the desk to the left motioned me over and I told him I needed a COR. He said, "The cost is 500 baht." I replied with, "Why, they are free?" and he said if you go to the main immigration in Phuket town they are free. I said, "Ok, but I'll need to get an official receipt." He nodded and said "ok." 

He handed my passport off to the guy at the middle desk and whispered something in Thai. A couple minutes later I was asked for my signed passport copy and photo. He looked at the papers and passed them to the next lady who created my COR. When the second guy handed my COR over, he said, "Don't worry, it's all ok." So in the end the COR was free and the total waiting time was about 15 minutes. It was quiet with were about 5 people in the office. During the wait the boss had friendly conversations with me and others about vaccinations. 

So, yes, it's possible to get a free COR at Patong Immigration. 

• Like 1