Bangkok on high alert for violence

george

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Incidentally; I read also that these 13,000 soldiers will safeguard the security of the capital, whilst being UN-ARMED ?!?!?!?

Well maybe they are scared that the 13,000 soldiers (and Riot Police !) will join the people on the streets. Then it's better they are un-armed.

Counter-Coup day tomorrow !?!?

Hmmm...so let's see... "nine judges appointed by the military-backed government" are to determine whether the junta generals and all of their buddies can continue lining their pockets with huge sums of baht, supress ANY opposition and remain in control for years to come, OR allow democracy??!! :D

Wow, this should be a real nail-biter, eh? :o

You'd have to be daft, completely ignorant or just got off the plane yesterday to think that their predecided ruling will be anything other than the obvious...

PJ, nailed it in one pal. :D

CNS Chairman concedes party dissolution case is a major case

Royal Thai Army Commander-in-Chief and Council for National Security (CNS) Chairman Sonthi Boonyaratglin admits that the Constitutional Court’s ruling on the political parties’ dissolution case on May 30th is a big case, and the Pitak 1 security plan will be used to increase the operational efficiency of officials.

Gen. Sonthi says Pitak 1 security plan has replaced Pattapee 149 security plan since it is more efficient. However, he says the Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) has been assigned to oversee peace and order of the country and it is coordinating with provincial governor and local chiefs to prevent masses to stage mobs in Bangkok on May 30th.

Gen. Sonthi says this is a big case and officials have therefore developed plans to deal with possible social unrest.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 May 2007

Were the judges appointed by this junta? I thought not so, but could be wrong...

Suppose the CNS has been tipped off about the likely result, and that it could cause a lot of trouble, hence the preparations to maintain order. Which verdict is likely to annoy the most people - dissolving both parties I'd suggest. Just a guess, mind you.

Could be a good time to found a new political party. I heard on the BBC radio that lots of British expatriates living in Spain got so fed up with Spanish corruption they founded a new party and just won 20% in local elections. Precedent?

CNS Chairman to clarify Pitak 1 to PM tomorrow

Royal Thai Army Commander-in-Chief and Council for National Security (CNS) Chairman Sonthi Boonyaratglin will explain the police and armed forces’ Pitak 1 security plan to Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont tomorrow morning (May 30).

Gen. Sonthi says the Royal Thai Police discussed its operational plan this morning. The plan will deal with potential unrest situations tomorrow, the day the Constitutional Court will give the verdict on the political parties’ dissolution case. Gen. Sonthi says he has reinstructed the army and the police to work together closely, and the police will oversee the overall situation while the army will support the police operation. Most of the forces will be dispatched at the Constitutional Court and places where various groups will gather. He says the Emergency Decree may be used during the final phase, if needed.

The CNS Chairman believes that the gatherings tomorrow will not be worrying. He has made an assessment on the situation and says the gatherings will not be big. He says the CNS members will closely monitor and evaluate the situation closely tomorrow.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 May 2007

10,000 security personnel standby for possible violence

To prevent any outbreak of violence in the wake of the possible political party dissolution verdict by the Constitutional Tribunal on May 30 (Wednesday), Council for National Security (CNS) chairman Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratkalin has deployed over 10,000 security personnel.

The added security is to monitor and control any possible mass demonstrations if the parties are ordered disbanded on electoral fraud charges.

Reporting decisions of a CNS meeting Monday, Spokesman Col. Sansern Kaewkamnerd told a press conference that the committee discussed likely responses to the final political party dissolution ruling to be given by the tribunal on Wednesday.

"No deadly weapons will be used to deal with demonstrations," Col. Sansern emphasised.

Intelligence sources indicate that three groups of people -- including farmers, opponents of the new charter draft, and political party supporters -- would descend on Bangkok to rally on that day.

"To prevent untoward disturbances aroused by ill-intentioned groups, the CNS sees a need to adopt the Pitak 1 security blueprint in place of the Pattapi 149 (military only) plan to ensure peace and order."

Pitak 1 is a coordinated security plan jointly involving both the armed forces and police.

Col. Sansern said a main objective of the Army's Pattapi 149 plan is to keep peace and order at key establishments and protect key figures in greater Bangkok.

"The navy and air forces will deploy around 400-500 personnel to join the mission while police personnel will come from all sections. The army will deploy more than 10,000 personnel.

Col. Sansern pointed out that the Pitak 1 security blueprint involved a 4-phase action plan.

Security forces will first try to pre-empt mass action by helping people in all regions outside the capital to understand the problem, and persuade them to monitor the tribunal's ruling at home (rather than joining a rally) as the verdict will be broadcast on television and radio. The public will be also kept informed of the general situation and political interest groups' ways to lure them to join potentially violent demonstrations.

Second is to monitor the movement of people bound for Bangkok by setting up checkpoints along Bangkok-bound routes

Third is to control the situation on the ground. At this stage, military forces are ordered to stay and prepare for operations in their units.

Fourth is to take action to ease unrest if demonstrators turn to violent means. However, this stage would occur only after the Emergency Decree on Public Administration is issued.

He said CNS would make every effort to prevent any outbreak of violence, but should there be any disturbance, it was confident of controlling the situation.

Col. Sansern said Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont told the CNS chairman before leaving on an official visit to China that the emergency decree should be enacted immediately if the situation turned violence.

"We don't want to enact the emergency decree unless the situation turns violent," the CNS spokesman said. "We believe all Thai people have good intentions to see peace and order in the country.

"His Majesty the King's advice should make all people become more aware of their duty as Thai citizens," he said.

Col. Sansern emphasised again that the CNS had not overreacted in deploying over 10,000 security staff to keep peace and order.

It is a matter of utmost security preparedness because it involves national security, he said.

Source: TNA - 29 May 2007

30035498-01.jpg

A security soldier guards at an entrance of the Supreme Court near Sanam Luang as nine Constitutional Tribunal judges meet to rule on allegations that Thai Rak Thai and Democrat parties violated the election rules.

The judges will deliver the verdict on Wednesday.

Source: The Nation - 29 May 2007

as we have so many posters and viewers on this thread it will be intersting to see what TV memebers are predicting what will happen on friday.

I perosnally belive that all this will end with a nice quiet demonstration.

it will be nice to compare the predictions and the posts after thursday.

I predict that law and order will be maintained.

demonstration will take place but both sides demonstrators and law officials will do all they can to avoid any violence.

I will go on a limb and predict that the honored judges will rule to dissolute the TRT party but will offer the people a replacement such as changing the name of the party or reforming the same party as such that former leaders will not be able to participate.

I realy hope that friday morning will bring a new age of hope to all Thailand.

Look at those who have threatened violence if the Constitution Tribunal rules against them tomorrow. Their anger, even before the ruling, is only because they may lose the case, and thus their precious political positions and power. In a word, they are selfish.

While , instead, CNS members and Constitutional judges are surely completely devoted to the good of the Kingdom. :o

Could be a good time to found a new political party. I heard on the BBC radio that lots of British expatriates living in Spain got so fed up with Spanish corruption they founded a new party and just won 20% in local elections. Precedent?

British expatriates can vote in Spain ?

Anyway, farang expat for sure cannot vote in Thailand, let alone found a new party ! :o

Elephants will also be barred from entering Bangkok at this time.
Well, we'll be ok then!

I wish I had a thousand baht for every time Elephants have been "barred from entering Bangkok" over the last sixteen years!!! Interestingly they've never once been un-barred - to my knowledge . . . .

G

Edited by grtaylor

British expatriates can vote in Spain ?

Anyway, farang expat for sure cannot vote in Thailand, let alone found a new party ! :o

Reciprocal voting rights do exist in Europe, I believe.

G

What IS it with the legal action against elephants? :o

ever see an elephant knock over trees and such in the wild? I think they could do more damage then a tank could loose in the city...

I just think they are afraid, with the wrong person controlling one of them, that real damage could be done before the animal could get dropped :D

What are you trying to say ?? "......do more damage then a tank could loose in the city" I haven't seen any tanks loose in the city, and I haven't seen any Elephants walking down Sukhumvit recently.

ever see an elephant knock over trees and such in the wild? I think they could do more damage then a tank could loose in the city...

I just think they are afraid, with the wrong person controlling one of them, that real damage could be done before the animal could get dropped :D

I think it has more to do with the King suggesting in a recent speech that a proposed procession of elephants in the capital would not be fair on the creatures.

JxP

Could it be that the ELEPHANTS are the real back bone of the TRT and true Thaksin supporters.

old gasser

Ron, have another beer. I understand the elephants really came out in big numbers and voted for Thaksin during the last election.

Well, I sure do feel safer now- surely there can be no problems if the police and army will be working together. :D
Elephants will also be barred from entering Bangkok at this time.

They are not allowed into Bangkok anyway. So why do they say "at this time" rather than all the time? They are treated like the unfortunate children who are forced to beg and sell flower garlands. Frequently they are hit by cars and burn their feet on the baking streets of Bangkok.

Why aren't they allowed into Bangkok ?? I saw one the other night on Silom and it wasn't a baby either.....

I see the large number of police and military as a was to discourage the protesters. From my reads the number that will show up to rally has been inflated by PTV / TRT. The overwhelming police presence is just tactical as not to underestimate your enemy. I suspect a few people may get out of hand but for the most part this may fizzle out, but I would not be surprised if a bomb or two went off around town as an attempt to push things past the tipping point.

It would be nice if they sent these 13,000 army and police to the deep south.

With the insurgents now getting bolder and bombing Hat Yai, it will not be long before they try something in Bangkok, and then for sure these 13,000 army and police will be needed to protect those of us that live here and try to go about our business.

It is funny that they were able to find 13,000 army and poice to be on alert for this ruling but previously this illustrious government said they had no extra personnel to send down south.

Some people here think that there will be public outpoor of justified anger against military installed tribunal's decision.

Instead there will be stampede to get one of the 70,000 free Jatukam amulets promised by organisers - the only reason anyone would get out of bed tomorrow.

The coup has done a lot of good to the people!

The security in the Thai has dramatically improved (even though Sonthi was in charge of it himself for the last three year) and it is a good thing that Thai people do not learn to count in school. That way the number of victims always stay around the 2,000 while every week around 50 get killed.

Democracy is much better than unde Thaksin. The press is free of rumours, the tv station have been seized in a way Chavez would envy and exept for the self proclaimed elite, the majority of Thais in the North and North East have been gagged.

At least the exporters will get what it want, even tough I was banned from this site from telling it in September, bloodshed is unavoidable. NO THAI COUP is ever bloodless, the bloodshed is always postponed. Let't hope that the poor do not take y force what they rightfully own.

The coup has done a lot of good to the people!

The security in the Thai has dramatically improved (even though Sonthi was in charge of it himself for the last three year) and it is a good thing that Thai people do not learn to count in school. That way the number of victims always stay around the 2,000 while every week around 50 get killed.

Democracy is much better than unde Thaksin. The press is free of rumours, the tv station have been seized in a way Chavez would envy and exept for the self proclaimed elite, the majority of Thais in the North and North East have been gagged.

At least the exporters will get what it want, even tough I was banned from this site from telling it in September, bloodshed is unavoidable. NO THAI COUP is ever bloodless, the bloodshed is always postponed. Let't hope that the poor do not take y force what they rightfully own.

---------------------------------

I hope you are wrong but I fear you are right.

I have two nephews and a niece in Samut Sakorn as well as my sister in -law. We are very close. With all this talk I am really very worried about them right now.

But what can I do. Unfortunately this is the world we live in. I have just lost my wife. If something happens to them, well I don't want to think about it.

My one consolation right now is the old Pali saying, "Who ever God wants to kill no one can save. Who ever God wants to save, no one can kill."

Please some say that this is not as serious as it sounds... :o

What is interesting to me is the BTS video screens, both at stations and on trains running a large percentage of videos concentrating on the 'Nation of Thailand' tonight. Sorry not sure given forum rules how to phrase this but much footage from last years celebrations for example.

Regards

/edit typo //

Edited by A_Traveller

Tomorrow's decision poses a great opportunity for the `third hands' to run amok, using discontent with the court decision to mask themselves as regular protestors from either side. These are precisely the tactics that led to the bloody massacre of May '92.

It was not the clash between Suchinda and Chamlong supporters that sparked the bloodshed, it was the arsonists allegedly affiliated with another political figure stirring up violence and conflict.

I had been quite sanguine about the prospect of violence tomorrow until I heard from someone out on the street gathering opinion every day that she has stocked up on food. That concern was escalated this evening with an 8:30 p.m. call from a school that issued homework today that it will close tomorrow on security concerns.

And of course, there's the denials of a coup on the state tv as Surayud flies back from Prateet Jin.

Please some say that this is not as serious as it sounds... :o

It is not as serious as it sounds.

Samut Sakhorn is far away from Sanam Luang etc.

And even if it should come to violence tomorrow then there is one huge difference to May '92: nowadays police and army do have riot gear and training which they did not have then.

Update:

Foreigners warned ahead of Thai court ruling

BANGKOK: -- Foreigners in Bangkok were on Tuesday warned to exercise caution amid mounting security fears ahead of a landmark court decision over whether to dissolve Thailand's two largest political parties.

Australia, Canada, France and Japan all advised their citizens to show a high degree of personal security awareness as Wednesday's verdict could trigger violent demonstrations in the Thai capital.

"You should avoid demonstrations, political rallies and concentrations of military personnel," the Australian embassy in a statement.

The Japanese embassy called on its citizens to "stay away from expected political rallies" and "act very cautiously so as not to get involved in possible unrest and terror attacks."

Thailand is the fourth most popular foreign destination for Japanese tourists after the United States, China (including Hong Kong) and South Korea.

Some 900 police will be deployed on Bangkok's streets Tuesday evening, protecting the Constitutional Tribunal offices and setting up checkpoints to deter party supporters from travelling to the capital from the provinces.

Some 15,000 Thai troops were on alert Tuesday across the country to deter possible violence, officials said.

The Canadian embassy warned that planned protests might turn violent and urged its citizens to "maintain high level of personal security awareness" and avoid "unnecessary travel" in Bangkok.

The US embassy here has left its travel advice unchanged, urging tourists and expatriates to monitor events and avoid large public gatherings.

The British embassy's travel advice, which was updated on Wednesday last week, also urged its citizens to avoid demonstrations and large crowds.

On Wednesday, Thailand's Constitutional Tribunal must decide whether Thai Rak Thai, the party formed by ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, and the Democrat Party are guilty of a slew of charges of electoral fraud related to annulled elections in April last year.

The tribunal has the power to dissolve the parties and ban their executives from politics for five years.

The potentially divisive ruling comes after more than a year of political upheaval culminating in the September 19 coup against Thaksin.

-- AFP 2007-05-29

CNS security plan can tackle 10,000

BANGKOK: -- The Council for National Security (CNS) yesterday unveiled a new security plan designed to control up to 10,000 protesters rallying against tomorrow's verdicts on the two electoral fraud cases against the Thai Rak Thai and Democrat parties.

"The plan, dubbed Pitak I, is aimed at pre-empting any protest-related violence," CNS spokesman Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnoed said.

The plan has already been activated and will remain in force until June 1 - or until all suspicious activities have ceased.

Soldiers from three branches of the armed forces and policemen will be mobilised to enforce crowd control measures, he said.

Under the plan, security authorities will strive to help people gain an understanding of the political situation, and monitor mass activities with the aim of discouraging the crowds from protesting against the verdicts. In the next step, authorities plan to set up road checks on all main roads linking Bangkok with the provinces in order to prevent villagers from descending on the capital.

Some 10,000 anti-riot forces have been on a high state of readiness within their barracks for immediate deployment should the situation arise.

If the crowds turn unruly, the CNS is fully prepared to declare a state of emergency before deploying anti-riot forces.

Sansern said the CNS would implement crowd control measures step by step ranging from a verbal warning to a crack down. Authorities will invoke harsh suppression as a last resort, he added.

He dismissed speculation that the CNS might mobilise its own crowds to counter the protests, saying authorities have no plans to incite people to clash with one another.

In today's Cabinet meeting, CNS chairman General Sonthi Boonyaratglin is expected to brief ministers on the security plan.

Sonthi plans to dispatch military officers to reason with villagers and disgruntled farmers ahead of tomorrow's verdicts. The dispatched officers will focus on the North and the Northeast.

He is expected to personally supervise the plan and monitor all mass activities.

First Army Region commander Lt-General Prayuth Chan-ocha, has alerted all security officials in the capital to brace for possible disturbances caused by motorcycle taxi drivers.

The CNS is anticipating a highly volatile public mood should the Thai Rak Thai receive an unfavourable verdict.

As a precaution, it is braced for every possible scenario if the crowds turn unruly even though it has no hard evidence to suspect any plans to incite violence.

"Among the staunch Thai Rak Thai supporters are some 80,000 taxi drivers and about 100,000 motorcycle taxi drivers, there is no way to predict their reaction to the outcome of the judicial review," the CNS spokesman said.

He said authorities must be prepared for unforeseen circumstances even though a mere 200 taxi drivers might join the protests.

--The Nation 2007-05-29

I am suprised by the fact

that european press

don't handle this items

okay when people are being killed

or bombs are exploding

happens in the south since

more than 2000 people died

strange because it's a big

item in europe

muslim insurgents Irak etc etc

but not a word about what happend

in Songla for example

Ispeak for Belgium and Holland

in particular

And even if it should come to violence tomorrow then there is one huge difference to May '92: nowadays police and army do have riot gear and training which they did not have then.

Close your eyes and say three times:

Tak Bai, Tak Bai, Tak Bai.

Hopefully you guys living in BKK will keep TV forum updated and keep those of us who are not there posted as to what happens after the ruling comes out in about 10 hours from now. My wife just arrived in BKK from the US a few hours ago so I am of course now worried about her. She knows her way around and will stay away from the possible danger areas so I am hoping that nothing much will happen and it will be just another peaceful day in Bangkok.