Europe To Bkk Via Silk Route

katyb

Hi,

I know this topic was discussed in 2005 but I wondered if anyone had any up to date info?

Instead of flying to BKK, I thought I'd have a go at getting there by train, preferably via the Silk Route - I know from experience that once I get to Samui, I will not move for 5 months as tropicalitis sets in!

I'm planning to do this in November. So far I have found that I can get the Eurostar from London to Cologne. Then trains to Prague - Moscow - somewhere in Kazakhstan I've never heard of - China via various places ending at either Xian or Beijing. Train then to Shanghai and down to Lumning, then (swiftly avoiding Vietnam!) into Laos. The rest is then easy. :o

I can get from London to Moscow by train for around 150 GBP. Also, I've found a company called Solkol Tours and it looks like I can do the Moscow - Beijing bit for under 250 GBP. However, this is just what I've pieced together from the internet so it could be way out.

Has anyone got any solid info on this? Or recommendations? Or is this just a daft pipedream? I think it is feasible, but any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Kate

Has anyone got any solid info on this? Or recommendations? Or is this just a daft pipedream? I think it is feasible, but any advice gratefully received.
A dream is a dream because it may come true...... good idea, but no practical help on this one. have you found this site for train info? It's certainly possible. Good luck with it.

I've spoken to people who've done it and I'm also considering it.

Try websites ''seat 61'', and ''Real Russia''.

Not impossible, Eurostar to Brussels, Brussels/Cologne/Moscow.

Trans-Siberian/Manchurian to Beijing. Beijing/Hanoi.

Backpacker bus Hanoi to Vientiane.

I suppose it takes a bit of sorting and a load of passport pages used for visas.

If you do it why not run a thread.

Best of luck.

Thank you both for your comments.

Seat6. com was my starting point - it's a great site if you want to travel by train anywhere in the world. And RealRussia site was useful too, thank you.

It looks like we are going! As my traveling partner, Jan, said to me.... it now seems all too boring to just fly to BKK! I know it will take some organising but I think it will be worth it.

Got to start looking into Visas and such things now. Rott, good idea to start a thread. I will do that as and when I have some more info.

Thanks again

Kate