Vegetables grown on abandoned taxis help drivers survive

webfact

Taxi-veg.jpg

Staple vegetables, such as chili, eggplant and cucumber, are now being grown on the roofs, in the tires and in the trunks of abandoned taxis and you probably don’t need to travel far to see this unusual sight.

It can be seen in Bangkok’s Bang Waek neighbourhood of Phasi Charoen district, near the Energy Ministry, the Thai Tobacco Monopoly and at the “Talaad Thai” market, as taxis from cooperatives, such as Bovorn and Ratchapruek, have been returned because, since February of last year, they have been of little use, thanks to the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to an adviser at Bovorn Taxi Cooperatives, the drivers can’t bear the financial burden of 400,000 – 800,000 baht per car and growing vegetables on them can help the remaining drivers bear the costs.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/vegetables-grown-on-abandoned-taxis-help-drivers-survive/

Logo-top-.png
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Cleverness? 

Self-sufficiency?

NO! Cleverness, is to find a suitable place for it. Like in a garden field or actually out on a balcony. Most have one of those options. Anyway, I guess the balcony is already occupied by the miniature rice paddy. ????

NO! Self-sufficiency would be that half of the Taxi force took a break from driving and found other work or means of support. You know, when you have salary you can buy basic needed vegetables. It´s not considered self-sufficiency to make a plantation out of your car roof. That´s called plain stupidity.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Almer said:

The worrying thing is that (if) tourists return and the cars go back to work will the produce still be on the top

Where to sir?  The airport, sure.  Would you like a cucumber to munch till we get there?  Only 20 baht. 

• Haha 1

On 9/16/2021 at 5:22 AM, ezzra said:

As i live and breath, i have NEVER ever seen anything like it, this article is soooo ludicrous i don't even know where to start from... 

So growing your own vegetables because you can't afford to feed your family is ludicrous?  The level of insensitivity, cruelty and smugness on this forum is so appalling.  I hope you never have to find yourself in a situation whereby your source of income has gone and even feeding your family is a daily struggle.

And to the poster who said these guys should do it in a proper place like their condo balcony - seriously??  Get a grip.

• Like 1

Publicity stunt. Remember how hot your car gets in the sun? These plants would probably die of heatstroke before they produced anything useful.

It would be more productive and more efficient to dig up the parking lot and use that.

15 hours ago, rickudon said:

Publicity stunt. Remember how hot your car gets in the sun? These plants would probably die of heatstroke before they produced anything useful.

It would be more productive and more efficient to dig up the parking lot and use that.

Oh my God, where to start with this...

1.  The taxi drivers are growing food to eat.  What is a publicity stunt?  What would be the point of it?  

2. Does it look like the plants are dead in the pictures?  How hot does sheet metal get when it is covered with sheeting and a thick layer of soil?  You do realise the metal is not getting direct sunlight anymore because it is covered by soil right?  So how hot will it be exactly?  This is one of the dumbest comments ever.

3.  Dig up the parking lot.  Where would you propose they store all the cars?  And how much would it cost to dig up all the concrete and replace it with soil?

And to think some people on here say the Thais are dumb.

20 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Oh my God, where to start with this...

1.  The taxi drivers are growing food to eat.  What is a publicity stunt?  What would be the point of it?  

2. Does it look like the plants are dead in the pictures?  How hot does sheet metal get when it is covered with sheeting and a thick layer of soil?  You do realise the metal is not getting direct sunlight anymore because it is covered by soil right?  So how hot will it be exactly?  This is one of the dumbest comments ever.

3.  Dig up the parking lot.  Where would you propose they store all the cars?  And how much would it cost to dig up all the concrete and replace it with soil?

And to think some people on here say the Thais are dumb.

Dumb?

1. The cars do not belong to the taxi  drivers - they are rented, and they are no longer paying. Would the owner let you put soil on top of his car? A sure way to accelerate rust. 2. Sun through car windows would heat up the roof from inside. this heat would make the soil to hot for good root growth. The soil layers were only about 3 inches - try putting a pot plant on top of your car and see how hot it gets.

3. If you want food, get rid of the cars. I wasn't addressing the car storage, just food growing. And where did all the soil come from? Plastic sheeting, bamboo and wood frames, soil, a lot of effort for a small result. Growing between the cars would make more sense.