Government Will Purchase 1 Million Doses of Moderna Vaccine for Thai Red Cross Society

webfact

4ecce789893de2896e246c6150db31fb_small.jpg

By Subhabhong Rarueysong

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Thai Cabinet has approved a budget of 946.31 million baht for the Thai Red Cross Society to purchase 1 million doses of Moderna vaccine to distribute free of charge.

Zuellig Pharma, the supplier and distributor of Moderna in Thailand, has offered the mRNA vaccine at a price of 940 baht per dose, plus transportation costs of 26.75 baht, totaling 966.75 baht per dose. The company is expected to deliver the first batch in early 2022.

Meanwhile, Chulabhorn Royal Academy (CRA) has signed a deal with ZP Therapeutics, the local business unit of Zuellig Pharma, to supply 8 million doses of the mRNA vaccine for use as booster shots next year. The first shipments are expected to arrive in the first quarter of 2022.

Early data indicates the Moderna booster raises immunity against the Delta variant by 42.3 times, and boosts immunity against Beta and Gamma by 32 times and 43.6 times, respectively. The CRA will collect data from Moderna recipients in Thailand from the end of this year to check its effect on immunity.

nnt.jpg

Great news but 2.85% for transportation seems quite high not withstanding the fact that the selling base of a Moderna vaccine is 25,5 US $ / 839 Baht roughly ( up from 22.60 US $ in August )

Why is Thailand paying 12% more for this product ? Moderna are making billions....can't they deal the same price to everyone ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Funny?  Up until yesterday I've heard of all the talk of Moderna including the private hospital taking deposits 1st time and as recently a few week ago for the second registration of course again with a 3300 baht deposit up front.

Yesterday wife tells me she wants to go to BPH to check for herself as to what is available on the way she tells me her mother 85, older brother and sister up at Sukhothai were given the Moderna purchased and donated by the K--G  ALL FREE!  now like everyone I've read articles how tough it is for private to purchase vaccines yet all of a sudden Moderna pops up of all places Sukhothai?????

I think with all the money the Thai government has and with all the donations being made by countries to help it is time to stop all this nonsense with DEPOSIT for vaccines the bottom line the leaders job is to save lives whatever their skin color instead of lining their pockets benefiting from a bad situation it should be ALL FREE FOR EVERYONE!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, alyx said:

Great news but 2.85% for transportation seems quite high not withstanding the fact that the selling base of a Moderna vaccine is 25,5 US $ / 839 Baht roughly ( up from 22.60 US $ in August )

Why is Thailand paying 12% more for this product ? Moderna are making billions....can't they deal the same price to everyone ?

Considering the usual "additional costs" normally incurred in doing such business here 12% seems quite reasonable!

I wonder how they will carve up ( sorry, allocate according to clinical need) this vaccine?

Pfizer is now so "yesterday" that they are even offering it to schoolchildren, AZ has gone very quiet, the important people must surely be looking for something new!

I don't understand this at all. It made sense when the Red Cross wanted to import and distribute vaccines on its own because it felt the government wasn't doing a good job, but now the government is paying for the Red Cross to bring in vaccines and distribute them free? How is that different from the government just buying and administering the same doses for its own vaccination program?

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

on the way she tells me her mother 85, older brother and sister up at Sukhothai were given the Moderna purchased and donated by the K--G  ALL FREE!

I think her family is confused, since no Moderna doses have arrived in Thailand yet.

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

Considering the usual "additional costs" normally incurred in doing such business here 12% seems quite reasonable!

I wonder how they will carve up ( sorry, allocate according to clinical need) this vaccine?

Pfizer is now so "yesterday" that they are even offering it to schoolchildren, AZ has gone very quiet, the important people must surely be looking for something new!

Pfizer being one of the donated vaccines is  popular now  i think because the expiry date is getting close, thats why astra zeneca has gone quiet for now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

So, headlines say government will purchase, but article says red cross will be given money to purchase it.

Which is it? I was under the impression only the government authorised itself to purchase vaccines. No one else...

Does it make any difference its all tax payer funded

10 hours ago, alyx said:

...can't they deal the same price to everyone ?

The more you buy the better the price.

For some reasons they buy a little here, a little there.

No rhyme or reason for there idiocy in vaccine procurement.

I've pre ordered 3 doses at over a $100.00 a dose.

Supposed to get something money back.

But it shows how much they gauge people during the pandemic.

I'm getting numb to Thailand's greed and corruption.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

The more you buy the better the price.

For some reasons they buy a little here, a little there.

No rhyme or reason for there idiocy in vaccine procurement.

It is the pattern for just about every aspect of procurement by government agencies in Thailand: military, medical, educational, aviation, you name it. Government spending is the great opportunity for many to make money, through various "facilitating roles".

So the purchases are spread out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, khunjeff said:

I don't understand this at all. It made sense when the Red Cross wanted to import and distribute vaccines on its own because it felt the government wasn't doing a good job, but now the government is paying for the Red Cross to bring in vaccines and distribute them free? How is that different from the government just buying and administering the same doses for its own vaccination program?

I think her family is confused, since no Moderna doses have arrived in Thailand yet.

I was what I was thinking but that doesn't seem to be the case!  Her family basically lives on the farm very isolated not in contact with many people she talks to them regularly and for as long as I could remember they couldn't care less if they got vaccinated in fact the mom never goes out or have contact prior she mother and family said no need especially if all you are offering is the Sino.

I know they are updated on what vaccines is out even in the rich farm LOL,  like my wife, son and daughter in-law they could have gotten the Sino even the AZ but are waiting I myself have already gotten both Pfizer the choice for everyone even the family in the farm I said I would pay for it if required is the Pfizer or Moderna.

I said the same think " you sure it was the Moderna "  and I got the look back I think you know what I'm talking about? ???????? in the end she said I'm off the hook for 16,500 since I was going to foot the bill for the vaccines of choice there is 5 of them based on the asking price at some private hospital 3300 for two shots I said o.k. with a smile.